• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Realignment - July 1, 2020

Alum-Ni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only FBS-related conference realignment that goes into effect as of July 1 sees UConn leaving the American Athletic Conference to become the seventh FBS Independent. UConn is placing all the rest of their sports in the Big East Conference.

=======================================

Other non-FBS, Division I related moves taking effect today are:

NJIT
- moving from the Atlantic Sun to the America East Conference

Robert Morris
- moving from the Northeast Conference to the Horizon League; football will become an FCS Independent

Purdue-Fort Wayne
- moving from the Summit League to the Horizon League

Cal State-Bakersfield
- moving from the WAC to the Big West

Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC)
- moving from the WAC to the Summit League

Jacksonville
- dropping football (had competed in the Pioneer Football League)

North Dakota
- had competed as an FCS Independent in football, now joining the Missouri Valley Football Conference

Presbyterian
- football program moving from the Big South to become an FCS Independent

The following schools are reclassifying from NCAA Division II to Division I and will be fully eligible for Division I postseason competition in 2025

Bellarmine
- joining the Atlantic Sun; located in Louisville

Dixie State
- joining the WAC; becoming the seventh Division I basketball school in the state of Utah; football will be an FCS Independent

Tarleton State
- this Texas school is also joining the WAC and will also be an FCS Independent in football

UC-San Diego
- joining the Big West

If anyone wants me to re-post my "History of Conference Realignment", detailing all the conference changes in major college football from 1936 through 2020, give me a shout and I'll post it.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference realignment talk gives me...
1200px-Natalie_Wood_Allan_Warren.jpg

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power-6
ACC--Clemson, Duke, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Navy, No Carolina, No Carolina St, So Carolina, USF, Virginia, Wake Forest

Big East--Army, Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Miami, Penn St, Pitt, Syracuse, Temple, UCF, VA Tech, West Virginia

Big Ten--Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa St, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Purdue, Wisconsin

Big XII--Baylor, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Pac-12--Arizona, Arizona St, BYU, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington St

SEC--Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Memphis, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Group of 5
AAC--Houston, LA Tech, New Mexico St, No Texas, Rice, SMU, So Miss, Texas St, Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA

C-USA--East Carolina, FAU, FIU, Marshall, Mid Tennessee, Rutgers, UAB, UConn, UMass, W Kentucky

MAC--Akron, Ball St, Bowling Green, Buffalo, C Michigan, E Michigan, Kent St, Miami (OH), No Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, W Michigan

MWC
--Air Force, Boise St, Colorado St, Fresno St, Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV, Utah St, Wyoming

Sun Belt
--App St, Arkansas St, Charlotte, Co Carolina, GA Southern, Georgia St, Liberty, Louisiana, Old Dominion, So Alabama, Troy, UL-Monroe

--Every conference has 12 teams except C-USA (10).
--Every conference plays 10 conference games except C-USA (9).
--No divisions.
--Top-2 play in conference championship.

--Power-6: Six conference champions and 2 at-larges in playoffs.
(2 separate playoffs)
--Group of 5: Five conference champions and 3 at-larges in playoffs.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power-6
ACC--Clemson, Duke, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Navy, No Carolina, No Carolina St, So Carolina, USF, Virginia, Wake Forest

Big East--Army, Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Miami, Penn St, Pitt, Syracuse, Temple, UCF, VA Tech, West Virginia

Big Ten--Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa St, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Purdue, Wisconsin

Big XII--Baylor, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Pac-12--Arizona, Arizona St, BYU, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington St

SEC--Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Memphis, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Group of 5
AAC--Houston, LA Tech, New Mexico St, No Texas, Rice, SMU, So Miss, Texas St, Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA

C-USA--East Carolina, FAU, FIU, Marshall, Mid Tennessee, Rutgers, UAB, UConn, UMass, W Kentucky

MAC--Akron, Ball St, Bowling Green, Buffalo, C Michigan, E Michigan, Kent St, Miami (OH), No Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, W Michigan

MWC
--Air Force, Boise St, Colorado St, Fresno St, Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV, Utah St, Wyoming

Sun Belt
--App St, Arkansas St, Charlotte, Co Carolina, GA Southern, Georgia St, Liberty, Louisiana, Old Dominion, So Alabama, Troy, UL-Monroe

--No divisions.

(2 separate playoffs)

I like it with a few changes.

Miami FL and VT to the ACC in exchange for Navy and USF. Flip Rutgers and Army

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it with a few changes.

Miami FL and VT to the ACC in exchange for Navy and USF. Flip Rutgers and Army
I promised myself I wouldn't put Rutgers in a power conference. I think they could compete in C-USA.

ACC--Clemson, Duke, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, No Carolina, No Carolina St, So Carolina, Virginia, VA Tech, Wake Forest

Big East--Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Navy, Penn St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, UCF, USF, West Virginia

Not bad.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power-6

Group of 5

MWC

Sun Belt

--No divisions.

(2 separate playoffs)

It should be like this, but it feels we aren't going to be getting this.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I promised myself I wouldn't put Rutgers in a power conference. I think they could compete in C-USA.

ACC--Clemson, Duke, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, No Carolina, No Carolina St, So Carolina, Virginia, VA Tech, Wake Forest

Big East--Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Navy, Penn St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, UCF, USF, West Virginia

Not bad.

Service Academies in the Power 5 is a no-no. They have a more important mission than to worry about competing in the P5.

Also...
For many years I've felt that the Group of Five, along with independents, should have their own playoff and National Championship. They would still remain FBS, meaning they compete in Bowl games. And the Power 5 (NO independents) would be re-named something such as the Football Elite Bowl Sub-Division (FEBS), and could still occasionally play some Bowl games against the FBS (Group of Five and independents).

I would then like to see each of the Power 5 conferences have mandatory scheduling of 10 conference games (5 home and 5 away) with the 2 out of conference games to be played only against other P5/FEBS teams (one away game and one home game). Six home games would be plenty for generating local $$$, when ALL SIX of those games would be played against Power 5 opponents.

And the heck with Notre Dame vs Navy. They can still maintain their relationship by taking a couple days each Fall Camp to have mini-practice together and a fun dinner banquet followed the next day with a scrimmage game every year.

Last edited:

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Service Academies in the Power 5 is a no-no. They have a more important mission than to worry about competing in the P5.

Also...
For many years I've felt that the Group of Five, along with independents, should have their own playoff and National Championship. They would still remain FBS, meaning they compete in Bowl games. And the Power 5 (NO independents) would be re-named something such as the Football Elite Bowl Sub-Division (FEBS), and could still occasionally play some Bowl games against the FBS (Group of Five and independents).

I would then like to see each of the Power 5 conferences have mandatory scheduling of 10 conference games (5 home and 5 away) with the 2 out of conference games to be played only against other P5/FEBS teams (one away game and one home game). Six home games would be plenty for generating local $$$, when ALL SIX of those games would be played against Power 5 opponents.

And the heck with Notre Dame vs Navy. They can still maintain their relationship by taking a couple days each Fall Camp to have mini-practice together and a fun dinner banquet followed the next day with a scrimmage game every year.
Okay. I can do this. Move Army and Navy out of the Big East and ACC, respectively. Put both of them in C-USA giving that conference 12 teams. The ACC and Big East would both be at 11 teams which is just fine. I'm not going to pluck UConn or Rutgers out of the G-5 just to satisfy a number. They can also still play 10 conference games which, in their case, is a round robin schedule.