• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've think I've seen enough to say Anders7n is a sieve

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've think I've seen enough to say Anders7n is a sieve

Who knew that going from a really good team to a really bad one would make a goalie let in more goals?? We live in crazy times my friend!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knew that going from a really good team to a really bad one would make a goalie let in more goals?? We live in crazy times my friend!!
If it were simply a matter of poor defensive play (excuses which could be made for guys like Bernier and Reimer in years past) then fine but that isn't the case at all - Leafs are currently 7th in the league in possession and have allowed the 12th-fewest shots against.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big picture, I am actually happy that the Danish Sieve is leaking badly.

This team is a long way from being a contender. Some key pieces are coming along (forwards) but there is still a lot of work to do. If Andersen played well, the fans would have delusional thoughts of a Cup. This year.

Let him struggle, it buys time for the forwards to improve their game and gives management time to improve on the D corps. The team can flounder in net for a couple of years, and that is OK.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big picture, I am actually happy that the Danish Sieve is leaking badly.

This team is a long way from being a contender. Some key pieces are coming along (forwards) but there is still a lot of work to do. If Andersen played well, the fans would have delusional thoughts of a Cup. This year.

Let him struggle, it buys time for the forwards to improve their game and gives management time to improve on the D corps. The team can flounder in net for a couple of years, and that is OK.
Not many would expect a Cup run, but with the rate of offence that this team has started off with I don't see why decent goalie play couldn't have kept them in the playoff race.

If Matthews and Nylander maintain a top ten scoring pace (probably won't but say they do), well, how many teams have had two guys place top ten in scoring and missed the playoffs? I'm guessing it's a pretty short list.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good thing that tons of fans aren't getting super upset (to be clear this is also referencing stuff read elsewhere, I'm not singling out the people on this board or anything) after only a handful of games like the Toronto media is always criticized for doing. They're keeping things in perspective I guess, just like they did with Larry Murphy :wink:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many would expect a Cup run, but with the rate of offence that this team has started off with I don't see why decent goalie play couldn't have kept them in the playoff race.

If Matthews and Nylander maintain a top ten scoring pace (probably won't but say they do), well, how many teams have had two guys place top ten in scoring and missed the playoffs? I'm guessing it's a pretty short list.

Didn't the Flyers (Voracek and Giroux) just do it a couple of years ago? I'm not sure offhand how the final scoring rankings turned out but I think they were both top 10.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good thing that tons of fans aren't getting super upset (to be clear this is also referencing stuff read elsewhere, I'm not singling out the people on this board or anything) after only a handful of games like the Toronto media is always criticized for doing. They're keeping things in perspective I guess, just like they did with Larry Murphy :wink:
We've seen the story before is all.

I think he'll come around, it's just been really, really easy to pick apart his game thus far and when taking into account the Leafs committed 5 years to him before he ever even suited up here it's understandable that some people are more concerned.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen the story before is all.

I think he'll come around, it's just been really, really easy to pick apart his game thus far and when taking into account the Leafs committed 5 years to him before he ever even suited up here it's understandable that some people are more concerned.

But wouldn't an argument (at the time) for the treatment of Larry Murphy sound the exact same way? The Leafs traded away assets to acquire him and he was making more than anyone else on the Leafs even though all of his prior success had been with other teams. And then he started the year shitty. Longer track record for Murphy of course but basically the same argument, no?

I'm not saying anyone should be applauding or be happy about this start. But I have a feeling that it's already gotten to the point where every bad game he plays this season going forward (assuming they're not completely surrounded by shutouts) we're going to be reading and hearing "questions about Andersen".

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But wouldn't an argument (at the time) for the treatment of Larry Murphy sound the exact same way? The Leafs traded away assets to acquire him and he was making more than anyone else on the Leafs even though all of his prior success had been with other teams. And then he started the year shitty. Longer track record for Murphy of course but basically the same argument, no?

I'm not saying anyone should be applauding or be happy about this start. But I have a feeling that it's already gotten to the point where every bad game he plays this season going forward (assuming they're not completely surrounded by shutouts) we're going to be reading and hearing "questions about Andersen".
People expected a good Leafs team when Murphy got here - they had made the playoffs in the lockout year and were barely a year removed from a conference final. When things went to shit, the fans and media looked for a scapegoat and in his second season especially when they didn't even make the playoffs and Murphy's stats plummeted it got it even worse.

Andersen's situation is different from Murphy in the fact that he was supposed to provide "one less thing to worry about" as the rest of the team developed as opposed to "the missing piece" for a Cup contender and unfortunately it looks like instead he may be the one not keeping up with everybody else (save Hunwak).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh hell fucking no

Reloading.gif

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, am I losing my mind, or didn't JVR used to wear #21 for the Buds? I saw him wearing #25 last night, did he change numbers?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, am I losing my mind, or didn't JVR used to wear #21 for the Buds? I saw him wearing #25 last night, did he change numbers?

Yes, #21 went bye-bye (Salming) when they officially retired the previously "honoured" numbers

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to watch the game against MTL. Despite the L, I liked what I saw. Still too scrambly in their own zone, but a lotta young guys and that will happen. Can't even think of anyone in particular that had an off night. The young guns tended to float around the perimeter at bit too much, but that's about all I saw "problematic". For where they are in the rebuild, a good effort. Keep putting that effort and they will win their fair share.