1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comcast Internet 1TB limit...

Discussion in 'Tech Forum' started by TheDayMan, Feb 11, 2018.

1. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

Anyone with Comcast internet all of the sudden having trouble staying under it? I never had an issue until last month, believe the cap started for me last July. Even with using streaming TV services (since before this started) I never came within 200 gb of it.

Last month the new variable was an Amazon TV stick, after a little research I found that the stick likes to constantly download shit in the background, and knowing that I'm probably the only one who would remember to make it sleep after use, ditched that assuming that's what it had to be. Now again, in a short month, I'm on track to go over again. Usage hasn't changed, don't really know what else to do... I have no interest in paying almost double for the same internet to do away with the limit that they recently decided to implement, especially if I can't find a reasonable explanation as to why I'm all of the sudden using more data.

Found some forums where other people have had similar issues, had a tech come out, and they still can't figure out what it is. I avoid having to contact those guys, so hoping maybe someone here has a similar experience they resolved.

2. WizardHawk

WizardHawk Fuck the off season

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 7,325

Shit, I didn't even know there was a cap. Just checked and we've never gone over 200g in any month and we do some streaming and a ton of online gaming. Looks like they say we have two courtesy months where you can go over and not get charged more. I take it you have long since burnt that up?

3. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

No, we've never come within a couple hundred gigs of the cap until last month. So I still have one more free month, but it's looking pretty close so far with just 28 days this month, so I'm hoping to figure it out before the next cycle starts.

4. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

When I saw they were adding a cap last summer I figured it might be an issue considering i had recently switched to streaming tv, but it never was, until now at least.

5. night

night Undocumented PhD

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Can you rule out the possibility of an unauthorized user on your network? Try changing your password. Also, if any of your hardware is provided by your provider you might want to request to have it replaced.

6. WizardHawk

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 7,325

What router are you using or are you simply plugging everything in directly to their modem/router?

Give the exact model number, even if it's directly through their equipment. There is often a way to check bandwidth via traffic monitoring on that equipment.

And/or it might be possible to block all traffic not coming from specific machines on your network which would neutralize any unauthorized usage.

Check your own machine usage via performance monitoring. (under task manager) and verify you don't have some crazy process on your own machine running nuts. After a fresh boot look at your traffic going through your own network card with no other software open and see if you aren't having some sort of windows update storm or bot/virus/malware activity.

I've had several machines doing bandwidth storms the last couple of years and in EVERY case it was Windows 10 going bat shit crazy on constant update bullshit. There are ways to disable windows update on 10, but it involves registry edits to completely shut it off. If you suspect you have those issues you can sometimes find relief by telling windows you are on a metered internet connection. Easy to look that up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

I suppose I can't completely, but I doubt it.

8. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

I'm not using their stuff, but I don't know what kind of modem and router I have without looking. Thanks for all that, I'll look into it.

9. WizardHawk

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 7,325

Really curious to see what your PC(s) are showing for Ethernet usage with nothing open. Right now mine is bouncing around from 0 to maybe 24Kbps. There's always some minor traffic, but storms using up that much data should stand out like a sore thumb.

Again, just open task manager, performance tab, and click on Ethernet. If you just booted up wait like 10 minutes and don't have anything else open and see what your current usage is. If it's high click the link at the bottom for Open Resource Monitor and under the Network tab is a full list of what is actually using your bandwidth at that moment. Let us know what is using a lot.

10. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

I'm not connected to a cable, so under wifi it seems to be all over the place between sending and receiving, looking at it now it's pretty idle at 0, occasional Spike to 40, think I saw send hitting up around 120 when I opened it. A couple of the svchost.exes are using the most, everything but one or two of those will pop in and out. Doesn't seem out of the ordinary, unless I'm missing something.

11. WizardHawk

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 7,325

Naw, if you are talking 120k that's literally nothing. To get what you described it would be megabits per second and pretty steady.

As someone else posted you might want to change your wifi password and also verify some other device in your house isn't going nuts like a rogue background app on your phone.

• Like Like x 1