• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Combine notes

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are reasons for not doing drills at the combine. If you dont think you are at your full potential then skip a drill. Its definitely the smart thing to do. Zach Brown expected to run the 40 in 4.40 or better - i dont think he would have expected that had he not done it before. He ran it in 4.5. Everyone already thought he was a freak athlete who is really fast, now the only thing that time does is lower his stock because he is not as fast as everyone thought. Im not sure about the situation Wilson was in, but if people expect him to reach a certain number there is no reason for him to risk not getting it, because getting it wouldnt really benefit him.

They do that to themselves. Lamar Miller came out and said he was going to run a 4.2. You don't want expectations? Keep your mouth shut.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's just my opinion, although I'm certain that there going to be scouts who discount Jeffery's 40 time when he runs at his pro day somewhat. Mike Mayock addressed this saying that scouts don't just take a 40 time at face value when ran at home only. They take it into consideration. As for RGIII, there was no reason for him to NOT throw. He wasn't going to downgrade himself past 2nd no matter what.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why didn't he prepare for 2 weeks before the combine??

Not arguing on whether he should or shouldn't have lifted. I have no idea what his training regiment is right now, or if he is totally healthy or anything. I'm just saying, the basis of your argument is flawed because it relies on the combine showing a 'real' number, which would be no different in practice than waiting until pro day.

It looks like only 9 of the RBs competed in all of the events - and most of them are guys super low on boards at this point

2012 NFL Combine Results: Running Backs

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do that to themselves. Lamar Miller came out and said he was going to run a 4.2. You don't want expectations? Keep your mouth shut.

Thats not the case with Brown though. He has been hyped since the off-season in 2009 when we started hearing about his 40 times. He excelled in track and has had some really good 60 times. He told scouts he wanted to run a sub 4.40, but a 4.5 would have been bad for him regardless of what he said he wanted. Had he just not run he would still be perceived as super fast because he plays really fast.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Brown's time will hurt him in reality. The media might make it sound disappointing, but NFL GMs aren't just going to look at the 40 time and drop him based on that.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find the worst FA, and we will throw too much money at them and make them starters.

Find the worst college players for each round evaluation and that will be the guy we take.

Welcome to another year of 4-12.

Who-Dey?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's all about risk and reward.

1. Guys at the bottom of the barrel will do everything in the hopes they have a great day and can shoot up the boards. They have everything to gain and about nothing to lose.

2. Guys right in the thick of things where they're rated in close proximity to others are going to either do most workouts or workouts they know they excel at depending on their standing - top, middle, or bottom of said pack - all the while avoiding areas they struggle.

3. Guys like Luck and RGIII for example have nothing to gain by throwing the ball. While they also have little to lose, throwing the ball can only add questions to their abilities, not provide answers.

The combine is all about trying to gain an advantage. It should be of no surprise when certain players skip certain drills.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame the qbs for not throwing..... I think it's hard for them to throw to guys that they just met. Last year, everyone was quick to jump on Newton for being innaccurate during the throwing sessions. Then again, most scouts didn't downgrade him after the combine, so you could argue it didn't matter. But I do have a hard time understanding why guys won't work out -- That should be something they are capable of doing anywhere.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Newton still went 1st. Mayock used Joe Haden as another example. He ran a slow time at the combine, but ran better at his pro day and still went 7th

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nobody suggested a bad time or workout will always hurt in the long run. Scouts are paid to keep things in perspective. But on the same note, Joe didn't do himself any favors by running a slower time during the combine -- that's the point. If there is little to gain, no point in doing it earlier than you have to.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they ran out of Maxi-pads in Virginia.

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.40 = good

4.49 (7th best) = disappointing

OK

How about we look at lower body power:

Broad jump = David Wilson 132.0", next best running back 123.0", Miller DNC
Vertical= David Wilson 41.0", next best running back 38.0", Miller 33.0

You would be the only "analyst" disappointed in anything that Wilson did today. Most people are saying he was the best running back in position drills and overall at the combine.....but, whatever.....

I agree too much is made out of the 40 times year after year.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the Rb's seem to be pretty clear cut to me...you've got Richardson as by far and away the best back. he's a top 10 pick (one of the best overall players in the draft).

Miller and Wilson are pretty close as the #2 back. You could make a case for either one. I could see either going anywhere late 1st to 2nd.

Then you've got a bunch of guys that havent played against good competition trying to sneak into the 2nd. I think Martin and Turbin look pretty intruiging...but if I had my druthers I'd trade up in the 2nd to snag either Wilson or Miller.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Martin a lot.

Martin looks great on paper and the few times I saw him. I really would have liked to see him play some tougher competition.

If we miss on Wilson and miller for some reason, I'd be happy w Martin in the 3rd