• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colorado may not play CSU after 2020

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado AD not looking to extend series with Colorado State - CBSSports.com

If something like this happened to WVU, we'd have fans claiming the rivalry died because of losing.

They'd neglect this huge fact…

As a member of the Pac-12, Colorado is required to play nine conference games a year, leaving only three non-conference spots available. While some may say this is just the Buffaloes wanting to schedule an easier win -- and that certainly wouldn't hurt -- there's more to it than that. With the nine-game schedule there are years where Colorado will only play four conference home games.

This point is exactly why I laugh when any WVU fan calls out Luck for canceling the FSU or MSU home/home series. They neglect to understand how the Big 12 schedule impacted the number of home games in the years when these two opponents were originally scheduled.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado AD not looking to extend series with Colorado State - CBSSports.com

If something like this happened to WVU, we'd have fans claiming the rivalry died because of losing.

They'd neglect this huge fact…

This point is exactly why I laugh when any WVU fan calls out Luck for canceling the FSU or MSU home/home series. They neglect to understand how the Big 12 schedule impacted the number of home games in the years when these two opponents were originally scheduled.

BUT, shortly thereafter Luck said he wanted to beef up the schedule, to play an NFL style schedule with tough games each week!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUT, shortly thereafter Luck said he wanted to beef up the schedule, to play an NFL style schedule with tough games each week!!

And how much more could you have added to last years schedule?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how much more could you have added to last years schedule?

The free shoes games were to be 2012 and 2013, the MSU games this year and next, I would rather have played those two than Marshall, JMU, Towson, Georgia ST, W&M, Georgia SO, Liberty........You say THIS year, look at the other three years, our OOC is a fucking joke.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The free shoes games were to be 2012 and 2013, the MSU games this year and next, I would rather have played those two than Marshall, JMU, Towson, Georgia ST, W&M, Georgia SO, Liberty........You say THIS year, look at the other three years, our OOC is a fucking joke.

Why are you always looking in the rear veiw mirror? You think Wv was the only school needing to cancel series when the the conference's re-aligned?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you always looking in the rear veiw mirror? You think Wv was the only school needing to cancel series when the the conference's re-aligned?

When you cancel games with good teams in order to schedule a neutral site game with a 1AA team, I will question it EVERY time, as should anyone. A HH series with FSU bought out in order to play JMU at Fedex?????????? REALLY??? You have no problem with that???? Hell, at the very least, the UMD games could have been rescheduled, remember, they owed us due to us letting them move games to the future earlier.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FSU discussion is an interesting look back in time.

To go back in time, we need to look at the situation Luck was dealing with. WVU accepted the Big 12's invitation to join in Oct. 2011, and understood the team would be asked to join play the following year. We all know about the law suit that was settled with the Big East for $20 million… or close to it. We know what that meant as far as distribution of revenue was concerned.

Luck had to be prepared for the BE to hold the 2011 revenue share, and had to be prepared for going into the red for the 2012 athletic year.

While WVU was in the BE in 2010-2011, the BE was preparing for the addition of TCU from the MWC. Instead of WVU finding 5 OOC opponents as was necessary, now they prepared for 4 OOC opponents. The FSU series was a H/H series with the first game scheduled in Tallahassee in 2012. Using the 2011 WVU football schedule, one finds the BE schedule for WVU consisting of home games against UConn, UofL and Pitt. WVU played on the road against SU, RU, Cincy and USF.

In 2012, WVU would host SU, RU, Cincy and USF. With the addition of TCU, you have to assume WVU would play them on the road to have a balanced 4 home, 4 road IC schedule. Other road games would be played at UConn, UofL, and Pitt.

Florida State, West Virginia settle on canceled football series

West Virginia had four games scheduled in both 2012 and 2013 and opted to cancel FSU. That left the Mountaineers with 2012 non-conference games at home against Marshall and Maryland and vs. James Madison at FedEx Field.

Once WVU joined the Big 12, it appears they were moved into Mizzou's schedule slot. The nice thing about this first year in the new league was that WVU would host 5 conference opponents in its first year. WVU would only have room for 3 OOC opponents, so one would have to go.

Luck knew he would need to generate as much revenue as possible in 2012 as a result of the settlement, and other factors. Keeping Marshall and Maryland as home games makes sense… we know how much money a home game generates. So, the decision comes down to dropping either JMU at Fed Ex or the road game at FSU.

The JMU game was set with the Redskins while WVU was still a BE member. It would provide the WVU fans in the DC/Baltimore area… as well as diehard WVU fans from WV… an opportunity to see a game at a convenient location. A reward to the WVU alumni living in the DC metro area…. add to this… the excellent payday awarded by the Redskins.

Football: WVU to Face JMU at FedEx Field - WVU Athletics

The game marks the first time that West Virginia will play at FedEx Field. The Mountaineers are guaranteed $2.3 million for the game, which would allow the department to net at least $500,000 more than a game at Milan Puskar Stadium. In addition, WVU could receive additional revenue in potential incentives based on game attendance.

So… some WVU fans want to bitch…. and claim they will claim to always bitch… about dropping FSU in favor of JMU. Well… you know… there ain't nothing you can do about stupid…

Faced with the situation Luck had in front of him, he made the best financial decision possible. The move to the Big 12 changed many things for WVU football. A step up in competition was certainly a huge factor. Dropping FSU would mean WVU essentially had 7 home games in 2012. Faced with a shortage of revenue, doesn't it make sense to get as much revenue as possible?

Look at the OOC opponents Luck has already arranged for WVU… Mizzou, VT, Tennessee, PSU… all top notch programs who get WVU into that NFL schedule he spoke of. Look back at the 2012 home slate… how much better was it to see BU, KSU, TCU, OU and KU… instead of SU, RU, Cincy and USF?

Last edited by a moderator:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You even said in your post that wvu had five home league games, two home ooc games, plus more money than a home game from the ridiculous DC game......so they had the money as if eight home games, you keep the HH with free shoes, and have the money from six home games plus the fedex money, and then in 2013 with the short league home schedule, you have free shoes at home, you just cant fix stupid......

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still having this tired ass argument

We all know why we have this years schedule, some just don't want to see it.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still having this tired ass argument

We all know why we have this years schedule, some just don't want to see it.

No they don't. Funny for me to see anyone who'd rather WVU miss out on making an extra $2 million during a year when it was going to take a revenue hit…. like in 2012.

Or… to think WVU should have kept Mich St on this past year's schedule instead of playing Towson.

But, like I said… nothing you can do about stupid.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they don't. Funny for me to see anyone who'd rather WVU miss out on making an extra $2 million during a year when it was going to take a revenue hit…. like in 2012.

Or… to think WVU should have kept Mich St on this past year's schedule instead of playing Towson.

But, like I said… nothing you can do about stupid.

I just love that the same guys who start and continue threads about how weak the SEC teams OOC schedule is are trying to justify buying out FSU and MSUn to fill our OOC with Liberty, Towson, W&M, and JMU.......Talk about fixing stupidity:lol:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame Luck for what happened during realignment. That was a different animal but moving forward I WOULD like to see us be "that school" that schedules all P5's OOC and do away with the Liberty,Towson ect..

Why not? So what if we miss out on a bowl game here and there, the regular season would be fantastic and if we WERE to string together a bunch of wins and get into the playoff hunt then SOS is not an issue..at all, no chance of "Bayloring" our shot at the final 4.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame Luck for what happened during realignment. That was a different animal but moving forward I WOULD like to see us be "that school" that schedules all P5's OOC and do away with the Liberty,Towson ect..

Why not? So what if we miss out on a bowl game here and there, the regular season would be fantastic and if we WERE to string together a bunch of wins and get into the playoff hunt then SOS is not an issue..at all, no chance of "Bayloring" our shot at the final 4.

I agree with you. Now that WVU is up to full scholarship totals, I believe they could endure such a demanding schedule.

How much longer does WVU have FCS schools on the schedule?

Two legacies from the Bill Stewart era....playing regional FCS schools every season, and being undermanned...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. Now that WVU is up to full scholarship totals, I believe they could endure such a demanding schedule.

How much longer does WVU have FCS schools on the schedule?

Two legacies from the Bill Stewart era....playing regional FCS schools every season, and being undermanned...

Luck scheduled Towson in Nov 2013 expressly to fill the spot vacated by the MSUn game he bought out. Luck scheduled the ridiculous buy game with JMU, Luck scheduled GAST when they were still a 1AA team in 2012. Nice try. The only 1AA team that Stewart had anything to do with scheduling was W&M, Luck scrambled to get the rest to fill the holes left by buying out good teams. AMAZING the BS spewed forth in defense of a guy that bailed on us, WOW, you are right about ONE thing, stupid can not be fixed.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
| WVU president sets up football date with Towson

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- It appears that West Virginia University's president has been more involved with athletics recently than forming (and then putting a gag order on) a seven-person search committee for a new athletic director.

Dr. Jim Clements is helping schedule football games for WVU, too ... or at least that's what his former employer says.

Towson University, where Clements was the provost and a vice president before becoming WVU's 23rd president last June 30, has announced a 2014 football season opener at WVU's Mountaineer Field.

While there's been no word from WVU on the game, the Towson news release on future scheduling says, "Dr. Clements played a key role in scheduling the Towson-West Virginia game."

A Towson date adds to West Virginia's upcoming "buy" home games against former Division I-AA teams Coastal Carolina, Norfolk State and William & Mary. There is none set yet in 2012.

Looks like there was some more stupid being posted on my thread….

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck scheduled Towson in Nov 2013 expressly to fill the spot vacated by the MSUn game he bought out. Luck scheduled the ridiculous buy game with JMU, Luck scheduled GAST when they were still a 1AA team in 2012. Nice try. The only 1AA team that Stewart had anything to do with scheduling was W&M, Luck scrambled to get the rest to fill the holes left by buying out good teams. AMAZING the BS spewed forth in defense of a guy that bailed on us, WOW, you are right about ONE thing, stupid can not be fixed.

oops, swap GAST and Towson, Clements scheduled Towson in between Pastilong and Luck, Luck scrambled to sign GAST.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be a true misunderstanding among some of our fan base about the scheduling issues associated with the 2012 thru 2014 seasons. As I noted earlier, TCU was to join the Big East for the 2012 season. With their addition, changes to the football schedule would have to be made. Then in 2011, WVU accepted an invitation for the Big 12. Even more shuffling would be required.

I addressed the FSU decision earlier, but the changes to the football schedule didn't end with them. In 2013, WVU was scheduled to play William & Mary and ECU at home as well as Maryland in Baltimore at M&T Stadium.

WVU to Play an ACC Team at FedEx Field in 2013? - Hail WV - A West Virginia Mountaineers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Luck moved the ECU games back a few years to create some opportunities. This created openings in the 2013 and 2014 seasons… especially when FSU decided not to come to Morgantown for the 2013 game. While WVU indeed found a late replacement in Georgia State, it also helped lower the financial burden by doing so. FSU would have been paid for their visit to Morgantown… much higher than what Georgia State received.

The Michigan State series is a totally different beast than the Florida State series. But, it is interesting to look back on this as well.

Among some of our fan base, there seems to be a misconception that Luck cancelled the series in order to play a weaker team. The MSU series was cancelled in 2012, MSU was able to upgrade by replacing WVU with Oregon, and no compensation by WVU to MSU was required as seen when WVU cancelled the FSU series.

In 2014, WVU would host 5 conference home games, and as was previously mentioned… Towson was put on the slate by President Clements. Canceling the MSU series would affect both the '14 and '15 seasons. In H/H series, MSU would have to be paid when visiting Morgantown. By freeing this date, WVU was able to make itself available for the Chik Fil A Kickoff Classic to play Alabama.

Just another example of the genius of AD Luck. In 2014, not only would WVU not have to pay big time for an opponent like MSU… but, it could make big bucks and have its team seen by more fans on a bigger stage!

In 2015, WVU will not have to travel to East Lansing, and will be able to host another home game. This is a win/win for the team, the athletic budget and its fans.

So… no… Georgia State…. Towson… were not substituted for FSU or MSU.