• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Football Arms Race

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have attended 8 games in Lincoln....won some and lost some....but I've seen proof that the Huskers are the best fans in America. Growing up I had two pennants on my wall: Oklahoma and Nebraska. Big Red all the way.
-------
I know Sooner fans still have the Red River Rivalry (yeah I know they've updated the name), but what I truly miss out of the Big 12 was our rivalry with you guys. For the longest stretch, Switzer especially had our number. When I lived in California, no one really understood how much I hated losing to you guys and could turn around and be routing for you the very next week. I have a handful of favorite college football teams, but you guys are #2 in my book....always will be.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma is getting ready to plunk down another $350 Million to $450 Million in its football stadium. This shit is out of control. I know we have to do it to stay competitive with other schools but where is the breaking point? My wife and I contribute generously to both the academic and athletic sides at OU but something about this is troubling at a time when the average student is busting his/her ass to make it. Yea, I know OU is one of the few schools that have a self-supporting athletic department but still........ Makes me wonder what's going to happen when the bubble bursts someday. How much is your favorite school spending on sports?

EXCLUSIVE: OU Set To Announce Football Stadium Expansion - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Good post...while I can't speak about U of Oklahoma, I can tell you about a local HS here in Oregon and their desire to upgrade their football stadium/facilities to the tune of 2.5 million.

WTF?

Their stadium currently is one of the nicest in the city already, why more? Complete bullshit in my OP when other schools in that district need facility maintenance because they are leaking from bad roofs. I am glad I do not live in that district as some of the richest people in this fine State live there.

For those that know what High School I am talking about, maybe you feel different. Lake Oswego HS is out of control, but that's what it's residents want in Dunthorpe.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A third of a billion dollars or more for a place to play 6 games a year is ridiculous. Does OU have to do it to remain competitive? Yes. Is it reasonable when students are having a hell of a time just paying for their college education? No. Is that the way the world works? Yes. If Nebraska's facilities are so much nicer than Oklahoma's then that accounts for NU having a better team than OU over the past 15 years. NOT!!! Facilities are important....even very important....but they aren't everything. And an all out arms race is a high price to pay for being competitive. Unless you're Texas and money means virtually nothing. OU's done a great job over the past 50 years and we've never had the absolute best facilities. We'll always be a bit behind someone else who wants to spend a bit more. Bottom line: spending billions and billions of dollars on sports facilities is a hell of a way to spend money.

Are they building an academic support center in the stadium as well? Because that would pretty much ease much of your concern.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they building an academic support center in the stadium as well? Because that would pretty much ease much of your concern.

No but you can see what it will have by clicking on the link in the first post. OU already has the best dorm in college athletics with an academic support area in it for all students who live there. The residents are about 50% regular students and 50% jocks.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No but you can see what it will have by clicking on the link in the first post. OU already has the best dorm in college athletics with an academic support area in it for all students who live there. The residents are about 50% regular students and 50% jocks.
-------
I would not want to be a regular student.:laugh3:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute.

"Sources put the cost of the Master Plan between $350 and $400 million dollars.
The most noticeable upgrade to the fans would be in the south end zone, where additional seats would form a bowl, and for seating to increase from its current capacity of 82,112 to close to 88,000."

OU is going to spend 350-400mm to add 6k seats? They generally have 6-7 home games, Red River cuts one out. So lets say each seat is worth $200 a game with tickets, food, and parking. That is 6k*$200*6.5= 7.8mm additional revenue. That means OU will pay off the 350-400mm in cost in 45-51 years. Even at $500 a ticket it is 18-21 years. That is ridiculous. There are some new boxes being put in, but I doubt that brings it to 10 year break-even. I hope I am missing something

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute.

"Sources put the cost of the Master Plan between $350 and $400 million dollars.
The most noticeable upgrade to the fans would be in the south end zone, where additional seats would form a bowl, and for seating to increase from its current capacity of 82,112 to close to 88,000."

OU is going to spend 350-400mm to add 6k seats? They generally have 6-7 home games, Red River cuts one out. So lets say each seat is worth $200 a game with tickets, food, and parking. That is 6k*$200*6.5= 7.8mm additional revenue. That means OU will pay off the 350-400mm in cost in 45-51 years. Even at $500 a ticket it is 18-21 years. That is ridiculous. There are some new boxes being put in, but I doubt that brings it to 10 year break-even. I hope I am missing something

I guess you didn't read the whole thing

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Well what did I miss?

It likely involves demolishing the entire southern complex and rebuilding it to match the northern side. You can't just add seats because it's built at a different angle and level than the opposite side.

oklahoma_memorial_stadium.jpg

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A third of a billion dollars or more for a place to play 6 games a year is ridiculous. Does OU have to do it to remain competitive? Yes. Is it reasonable when students are having a hell of a time just paying for their college education? No. Is that the way the world works? Yes. If Nebraska's facilities are so much nicer than Oklahoma's then that accounts for NU having a better team than OU over the past 15 years. NOT!!! Facilities are important....even very important....but they aren't everything. And an all out arms race is a high price to pay for being competitive. Unless you're Texas and money means virtually nothing. OU's done a great job over the past 50 years and we've never had the absolute best facilities. We'll always be a bit behind someone else who wants to spend a bit more. Bottom line: spending billions and billions of dollars on sports facilities is a hell of a way to spend money.

I'll better every stadium hosts more than 6 games a year. A ton more

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It likely involves demolishing the entire southern complex and rebuilding it to match the northern side. You can't just add seats because it's built at a different angle and level than the opposite side.

oklahoma_memorial_stadium.jpg

But that was factored in. Said only adding ~6k in seating and some boxes. The face-lift stuff is not revenue generating. Seems like a hell of a lot of money for a limited amount of additional revenue sources.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll better every stadium hosts more than 6 games a year. A ton more
-

9 game schedule gets you 4-5 home games. 3 OOC games. Texas/OU have a neutral site, that limits them to 4 conference games. If every OOC game is home it is only 7 games.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

9 game schedule gets you 4-5 home games. 3 OOC games. Texas/OU have a neutral site, that limits them to 4 conference games. If every OOC game is home it is only 7 games.

they don't host any events besides cfb? The bank united center on miamis campus is booked more days than not, and joe robbie hosts a ton of events. Someone needs to tell them ou fellers that they are stoopid.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they don't host any events besides cfb? The bank united center on miamis campus is booked more days than not, and joe robbie hosts a ton of events. Someone needs to tell them ou fellers that they are stoopid.

DKR isnt booked to often for anything other than College Football. Stadium is just so damn big that it does not lend itself to be a good venue for much outside of a big sporting event.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And this is coming from the fan of a school who is averaging less than 48,000 attendance/game at home for college football. LMAO! Also, the population of Miami is a hair larger than Norman which means more events are available. Step right up and see how the big boys are doing it: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a decade. You guys are long overdue for a facelift. 350 million spent on facilities over the period of 10 years is pretty much the status quo.
-------
Have to agree here. Nebraska has done that amount over the last decade or so but it was done in bits and pieces not like the Sooners or TAMU.