• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coburn Extended

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coburn 4 years / 18 mil

4.5 cap hit.

what do we think?

i like it.. he would get that on the market no problem.. and i like that they picked him over carle.. he's shown that he can drop the boom on people, he just needs to do it more often.. plus he can skate extremely well and can move the puck when called on

i like the signing

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm... probably higher than I'd like to pay him, but better than him hitting the market. I guess.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, i was 2 minutes late.. merge em up please tox :)

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing. Coburn has been a stud for this team. The only problem I have with him is that I would like him to score more and be involved in the offense more. Preferably PP but hes got Kimmo and Pronger ahead of him which isnt his fault. Now maybe Carle will be dealt.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i support this decision. 4.5 is a big cap hit, but you know someone on the open market would have given him 4.5-5 mil anyway needing a top defenseman. coburn is a solid top 4 defenseman, and for his role here i think he does a great job. on a stanley cup contender he's the type of guy you want on your second pairing. glad he'll be here. and hes still relatively young. i think the only thing i want to see him improve is using his size more. he's almost as big as pronger! he needs to learn to use that size to put fear into his opponents.

with the way its looking, i think once timonen and pronger retire its going to be coburn and mez as our 1 and 2 defensemen. or at least i feel thats the plan the flyers have in mind.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing. Coburn has been a stud for this team. The only problem I have with him is that I would like him to score more and be involved in the offense more. Preferably PP but hes got Kimmo and Pronger ahead of him which isnt his fault. Now maybe Carle will be dealt.

i dont really like him on the powerpoint.. his shot is ok, but he's really inaccurate.. and i dont think he's as good at moving the puck around as kimmo or prongs

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i support this decision. 4.5 is a big cap hit, but you know someone on the open market would have given him 4.5-5 mil anyway needing a top defenseman. coburn is a solid top 4 defenseman, and for his role here i think he does a great job. on a stanley cup contender he's the type of guy you want on your second pairing. glad he'll be here. and hes still relatively young. i think the only thing i want to see him improve is using his size more. he's almost as big as pronger! he needs to learn to use that size to put fear into his opponents.

with the way its looking, i think once timonen and pronger retire its going to be coburn and mez as our 1 and 2 defensemen. or at least i feel thats the plan the flyers have in mind.

Leino got that on the market too and would he have been worth it? No. The market will always over pay. The current team should not.

I dislike this signing....a lot

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leino got that on the market too and would he have been worth it? No. The market will always over pay. The current team should not.

I dislike this signing....a lot

the market will always overpay is kind of an oxy-moron.. if the market is always going to overpay, doesn't that set the 'market value'?

and leino was overpaid on top of the market value

coburn isn't going to sign for a 3 mil cap hit when he can get 4.5-5 on the open market.. there's no way to sign a top 4 d-man without paying 4 mil or more nowadays

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that is what he will get on the market, but for us to jump the gun and sign him now for what market value might be makes little sense to me.

We have about 1092u89372894 days until he hits the open market. Why not negotiate with him and get that price tag down. That's the advantage of signing a hometown guy as opposed to a free agent. I just feel like Homer walked into the room, put a piece of paper down, and asked Coburn to name his price.

This is coming from a Homer supporter also. I think this was very bad management on his part.

PhillyFate48

Pimp by blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that is what he will get on the market, but for us to jump the gun and sign him now for what market value might be makes little sense to me.

We have about 1092u89372894 days until he hits the open market. Why not negotiate with him and get that price tag down. That's the advantage of signing a hometown guy as opposed to a free agent. I just feel like Homer walked into the room, put a piece of paper down, and asked Coburn to name his price.

This is coming from a Homer supporter also. I think this was very bad management on his part.

:hdn: welcome to Flyer land!

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of signing him to 4 years, but I'm with PP48....a little patience might have gone a long way in this case.

PhillyFate48

Pimp by blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Homer didn't want to run into Coburn down the road plus getting a Dman for 4.5....who is out there??? I myself am always yelling at Coburn it seems so idk its a done deal let's just hope for the best!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know why this couldn't have been a more cap friendly deal. I feel like he's going to be worth the money either way as this will be the prime of his career, he has a huge frame and can really skate. Statistically, he's become more of a strictly defensive guy only. I didn't necessarily think those types of players made this kind of money when not signed via free agency.

I still trust what Homer is doing here. He's got a lot of cheap, young talent on the way here, so you'd think that he can afford to lock up some veterans at the prices they want.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of signing him to 4 years, but I'm with PP48....a little patience might have gone a long way in this case.

I agree with both of you-patience

Now let's drop the fucking puck already,so the Flyboys can lay the boom down on the Lightning.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically, he's become more of a strictly defensive guy only.

Ryan Suter is a shut down d-man and will more then likely get 6-6.5m a year, now I'm not saying Coburn is as good as Suter, but the cap hit does seem fair in my eyes. Also everyone has to remember that even if a player is willing to sign a contract at a cap friendly, below market value price it is the perogative. Walking into every negotiation expecting them to sign those deals and attempt to undercut what they are worth on the open market could be perceived as an insult and could open the door to lose them.

I like having him and Mez locked up to these deals, even with them struggling a bit in the early going this year. They are both too talented to continue their slumps. Plus I'm not a fan of Carle and want him gone, unless he signs a very very cap friendly deal.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i'm sure they did negotiate for a while.. i'm sure he just didnt ask coburn's agent to name his price.. and i just disagree with patience bringing the price down.. IMO every day closer to free agency, coburn's price would've gone up.. the market on d-men has been very consistent.. every young-vet (i.e. 24-27 age range) gets paid, and gets paid more than what everyone thinks they deserve.. like hamhuis getting 4 a couple years ago.. jbo getting 6 or whatever a couple years before that.. the market on d-men is VERY predictable IMO..

my beef with the Bryz contract, is that the goaltending market has been VERY predictable as well.. goalies have been making way LESS that people think they're worth.. look back to leighton 2 years ago.. he was signed at 1.55 after taking his team to the cup finals, and that was a mistake, as goalies that were proven for more than 2 months at the NHL level, got 900k or sometimes less (nabakov, a vezina caliber goalie, didn't even get signed!)

the NHL market goes like this in my book:

Forwards - take what you think they're worth, and add 1-2 mil
D-Men - take what you think they're worth, and add 1-2 mil
Goalies - take what you think they're worth, multiple it by ~.75

locking guys up early, when their focus is on hockey, not on what they might make in free agency, is when you should do it