• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach's Challenge for Offside

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my greatest fear is that we're going to have another Dallas - Buffalo situation where a Stanley Cup final winning goal is called back due to a successful coach's challenge for offside.
As long as it happens to Buffalo it's fine by me :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmmmmmmmnot so sure bout this here. Just last year in the Champions League final Sergio Ramos scored a goal that was clearly offside that was missed and had it been caught could've changed how the game ended.

My guess is within 5 years we'll have some sort of challenge system in place in soccer.
Of course, FIFA might go in a totally different direction. Marco Van Basten is the Technical Director for the cartel:

48er-WM war nur der Anfang | Abseits abschaffen und Zeitstrafen – 10 neue Fifa-Pläne

Translated, here is one of the points:

Abolish Offside

“I am very curious as to how football would work without offside,” he said. “I fear many people will be against it. I would be in favour of it, because football is increasingly resembling handball… This would make the game more attractive, the attackers would have better chances, more goals would be scored. That’s what the fans want to see.”

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a league that most nights is starving for goals, I don't think we should be looking at HD replays to determine whether or not a skate blade is still in contact with the ice. Put it this way, the most popular sport in the world certainly seems okay with no challenges for offside, as previously mentioned, this game of hockey did as well before two blatant missed calls got everybody upset.
I think the solution to that one is to change the offside rule so that the theory that the blue line extends invisibly up in the air applies. That standard is already in use for whether the puck is in or out of the zone, so why not do the same for the player?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the solution to that one is to change the offside rule so that the theory that the blue line extends invisibly up in the air applies. That standard is already in use for whether the puck is in or out of the zone, so why not do the same for the player?

I've seen that suggested before and I wholeheartedly agree with it. Since it makes too much sense, i doubt the NHL will adopt it.

cutyhil7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it's a fair call! If offside goals were autorized there would be lots of players waiting after the line to get the puck passed on to them to score and defeats the purpose of real hockey.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it's a fair call! If offside goals were autorized there would be lots of players waiting after the line to get the puck passed on to them to score and defeats the purpose of real hockey.

First off, welcome to the NHL board. I agree with the aspect of trying to get the call right, but not when it's taking over 5 minutes looking at a tablet to try to determine if a skate blade is still in contact with the ice. I guess it's here to stay until we have a major issue which may determine the outcome of a playoff game.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, welcome to the NHL board. I agree with the aspect of trying to get the call right, but not when it's taking over 5 minutes looking at a tablet to try to determine if a skate blade is still in contact with the ice. I guess it's here to stay until we have a major issue which may determine the outcome of a playoff game.
I still can't for the life of me figure out why they don't have people in Toronto making the decision on this. With all of the screens and the high-end equipment, they could get it done in a fraction of the time.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know what's even more lame than the offside review? Hearing/watching entire segments and having your twitter timeline filled with arguments for/against an offside call.

End this shit.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know what's even more lame than the offside review? Hearing/watching entire segments and having your twitter timeline filled with arguments for/against an offside call.

End this shit.

I haven't seen it, but this is the way it was described on another board:

Minnesota had the puck in the zone and Chicago cleared it out. The Wild players all moved to clear the zone and a Wild d-man passed the puck from the neutral zone to Coyle who was standing outside the zone at that point. Meanwhile, Parise was still on his way out of the zone when Coyle appeared to touch the puck with his stick, which was inside the zone, but Coyle himself wasn't in the zone. Parise cleared the zone before Coyle crossed the line himself.

They went in and scored. Chicago challenged, and after a lengthy review, it was ruled inconclusive.

It's a weird one because it would have been a delayed offside, so Parise can still be in the zone while the puck is in the zone as long as Coyle didn't touch the puck while Parise was offside. The linesmen had to determine where Parise's skates were when Coyle touched the puck. Because he was clearing the zone, he only had to be in contact with the blue line with one skate to be back onside. They ruled that it was inconclusive as to exactly when Coyle made contact with the puck.

It sounds like even after a lengthy review, they still didn't get the call right.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another effin brutal challenge in Nashville just now that had nothing to do with the goal scored. Just end this farce NHL.