• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach's Challenge for Offside

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There needs to be more common sense played into it. When the offsides happens about :45 seconds before a goal, who cares. And we're often talking about an inch. Ducks had a goal taken away vs the Pens that was pretty dumb. Also, those things happen multiple times in a game...it's so close nearly every entry that's not just one guy skating in. Then again I think about Briere and twitch.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a fan. That is all.

Agreed. The whole going back in time thing is a little ridiculous. An occasional offsides call the wrong way over an 82-game season isn't going to make the difference and should even out anyway.

The Caps challenged one the other night after an OT goal by the Jets. The announcers were joking the review was longer than the overtime itself.

Keep it for goals and I'd rather see them use it once a game for a penalty that was missed than a stupid offsides call.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed feelings about it. I think it can serve its purpose but at the same time can be unfair in some cases.

I was watching a junior game the other night and my team was on the power play. I'm pretty sure they entered the zone offside but it went undetected. In my opinion had they scored and it went to review, it almost certainly would have been called back. Meanwhile the time on the penalty was still winding down while my team (presumably) had no opportunity to score. I suppose the best case scenario would be to score an apparent goal, have it called back, and have the PP time go back to what it was when he offside happened.

Also I think refs may now start to err on the side of not calling it offside when it's close. They might figure that if it results in a goal we can always review it, while if they call it offside it's over, whether it was in fact offside or not. As mentioned though, it kind of puts the attacking team at a disadvantage.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed feelings about it. I think it can serve its purpose but at the same time can be unfair in some cases.

I was watching a junior game the other night and my team was on the power play. I'm pretty sure they entered the zone offside but it went undetected. In my opinion had they scored and it went to review, it almost certainly would have been called back. Meanwhile the time on the penalty was still winding down while my team (presumably) had no opportunity to score. I suppose the best case scenario would be to score an apparent goal, have it called back, and have the PP time go back to what it was when he offside happened.

Also I think refs may now start to err on the side of not calling it offside when it's close. They might figure that if it results in a goal we can always review it, while if they call it offside it's over, whether it was in fact offside or not. As mentioned though, it kind of puts the attacking team at a disadvantage.

This is absolutely happening...I tend to think I have a decent sense of on/offsides. It's not always right because my TV only shows so much, but I've seen more and more called offsides that I'm pretty confident wouldn't be called if refs didn't expect a potential challenge.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The whole going back in time thing is a little ridiculous. An occasional offsides call the wrong way over an 82-game season isn't going to make the difference and should even out anyway.

The Caps challenged one the other night after an OT goal by the Jets. The announcers were joking the review was longer than the overtime itself.

Keep it for goals and I'd rather see them use it once a game for a penalty that was missed than a stupid offsides call.

What a 9! exciting minutes that was!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is absolutely happening...I tend to think I have a decent sense of on/offsides. It's not always right because my TV only shows so much, but I've seen more and more called offsides that I'm pretty confident wouldn't be called if refs didn't expect a potential challenge.

It's great in the 2nd period... but hard to tell what's going on on offense in the 1st and 3rd.

29BAB8F600000578-0-image-a-22_1434613029590.jpg

Tell you roommate we get it... Ginsu knives are sharp!!

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Um, maybe I'm reading something wrong here but isn't that the opposite of what he said?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the prettiest non-goals you will ever see...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the prettiest non-goals you will ever see...

Great passing and nice finish by Offsideshands.

Also, lol at the Sharks that Calgary changed out two players during that sequence.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two Flames goals waived off last night against Florida due to coach's challenges for offside - Stupid Briere and Duchene goals are the reason we have this stupid challenge.

/Yes, still not a fan.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to settle for Luon5o instead of 7uongo last night because of those successful challenges.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it in principle, but I'd still like to see some refinements. I think there has to be a limit as to how long after the zone entry before the offside (or lack thereof) no longer matters. Probably a time limit on the review itself too for these ones that are practically impossible to see.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it in principle, but I'd still like to see some refinements. I think there has to be a limit as to how long after the zone entry before the offside (or lack thereof) no longer matters. Probably a time limit on the review itself too for these ones that are practically impossible to see.

For a league that most nights is starving for goals, I don't think we should be looking at HD replays to determine whether or not a skate blade is still in contact with the ice. Put it this way, the most popular sport in the world certainly seems okay with no challenges for offside, as previously mentioned, this game of hockey did as well before two blatant missed calls got everybody upset.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way, the most popular sport in the world certainly seems okay with no challenges for offside, as previously mentioned, this game of hockey did as well before two blatant missed calls got everybody upset.
Mmmmmmmmmnot so sure bout this here. Just last year in the Champions League final Sergio Ramos scored a goal that was clearly offside that was missed and had it been caught could've changed how the game ended.

My guess is within 5 years we'll have some sort of challenge system in place in soccer.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my greatest fear is that we're going to have another Dallas - Buffalo situation where a Stanley Cup final winning goal is called back due to a successful coach's challenge for offside.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEY GUYSE, I WANT IT CALLED CORRECT THE FIRST TIME ... THE TECHNOLOGY IS THERE TO NIP OFFSIDESSSS IN THE BUTT !!!!