• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Staff -- JOHN HYNES (PENS AHL COACH) TO BE NAMED NEW COACH

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from always being hurt, I've seen Malkin taken out of games mentally on way too many occasions. If you stifle him early he gets frustrated and goes into "I'm the entire team, I'll do this myself" mode. He carries the puck too much, he ignores teammates, he takes stupid penalties. I think he's weak mentally, not the guy I'd want leading this team.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from always being hurt, I've seen Malkin taken out of games mentally on way too many occasions. If you stifle him early he gets frustrated and goes into "I'm the entire team, I'll do this myself" mode. He carries the puck too much, he ignores teammates, he takes stupid penalties. I think he's weak mentally, not the guy I'd want leading this team.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Is he an elite talent? Yeah, absolutely. But for the amount of time he spends hurt and how much he makes, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He earns the dreaded title....Enigmatic Russian

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hmmmmm that's interesting definitely out of left field with the German coach. Hey I'm all for it let's try to make a different identity for this new era. I did like what Stevens did with the defense so hopefully he can stay on somehow

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The German coach was a Bruins assistant from 07-14 so he's not a total wildcard. They've completely revamped this coaching staff, could Shero do something similar with the roster?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Most of us wanted changes, and we definitely are seeing them. I am good with these hirings. New direction.

Lots of fans pissed about Stevens, but new GM, new coach, you have to expect they hire what they believe will help the team succeed. I too hoped for Stevens to stay, but not going to blast Shero or Hynes for not keeping him. Who knows, the interview might have not went well. Maybe Stevens does not share the same vision as the new coaching staff. We really don't know.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us wanted changes, and we definitely are seeing them. I am good with these hirings. New direction.

Lots of fans pissed about Stevens, but new GM, new coach, you have to expect they hire what they believe will help the team succeed. I too hoped for Stevens to stay, but not going to blast Shero or Hynes for not keeping him. Who knows, the interview might have not went well. Maybe Stevens does not share the same vision as the new coaching staff. We really don't know.

Exactly. As a fan I love Stevens and you want to envision a world where he could eventually bring us a title as a coach but realistically if this is what the new regime deems to be the best way to move forward then I'm all for it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked what Stevens was doing as a coach for the dmen.... it was showing...

but also I liked that he was a former Devil, a former captain for his long career here at NJ and thought it added more to have him behind the bench....

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The fan in me wishes Scott had a spot. But a coach gets to pick his staff. The one assistant has been with Hynes for 5 years. Seems like a loyal guy.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i know stevens was good when he came back after xmas. honestly though how good was he though? would larson have made such progress if PDB gave him some rope?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I saw that when MacLean was hired, he kept 4 out of 5 assistant coaches from previous. That tenure didn't turn out too well did it? Cup good point about Stevens. PDB was benching Larsson for sneezing. Once PDB was gone, new staff let the guy play and that made the difference. Maybe Stevens helped but we don't know for sure.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to figure Conte is gone after the draft as well. Usually teams will hang on to the scouting department until after the draft otherwise they're going in blind.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Conte and the scouting staff is axed then I would consider this management change a disaster. There is no reason to replace the entire organization just to show people who the new boss is. Shero doesn't exactly have a good track record with his head scouts from pittsburgh anyways

I also think Hynes bringing in his assistant from the AHL is a questionable decision. Hynes biggest flaw is his lack of NHL coaching experience and he brought in a guy that cannot help him out in that regard. He's the guy interviewing everyone so hopefully he has good judgement. If its bad, well goodbye NHL coaching career.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Devils still have Tedenby's rights? I believe so. With new direction, I wonder if he might get another shot.
He had skill just no confidence. He could have used some more muscle too.

The Conte subject has been pretty quiet. There was the TG article few weeks back, but no much has been said about his future with team.

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is this team gonna look like this year? Or wait till the draft to see? Trying to decided if I want to get Center Ice to watch them or not... last year was the first year in a long time that I didn't get it, mainly because I knew they would be bad.... too much old talent, nothing different.... all these changes are interesting, but cant decide if it will be worth paying money to watch this year.... maybe wait another year?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Me personally, I already cannot wait for hockey to be back and watching the Devils. I don't think they will be all that good, but I do look forward to watching a team that is hopefully younger and faster.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With $20 mil in cap space, the team could be anything from a low seed playoff team to top 5 draft pick

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah my expectations are very low this year but I feel like this will be a fun team to watch simply from a growth/changing of the guard angle. They'll struggle but I want to watch the youth progress. I want to see Boucher and Matteau getting regular ice time, I want to see what the D can really do, I want to see if Henrique can take it to another level, etc.