• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Staff -- JOHN HYNES (PENS AHL COACH) TO BE NAMED NEW COACH

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Todd McLellan getting canned by the Sharks it got me thinking, do Stevens or Oates get promoted to Head Coach? Do we bring in another head coach? We can't go into next season with 2 head coaches right?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i know people will be anti mcllean but he is a good coach and got the most out of the sharks.

honestly i am 1000000% done with homegrown devil talent on this coaching staff. no more montreal players either.

bring in someone OUTSIDE nhl talent.

stevens/albilen/t-bone/barr etc etc etc even lamarello jr in albany.

i dont want marty as a coach i dont want him as a gm. just give me someone from the other 29 nhl teams that might think outside the box.

that being said i am 100% convinced stevens is going to be the next coach.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm mostly with cup on this one. Not that I have anything against a guy like Stevens getting the job, but at some point we need to change the mindset of this team. Not just the product on the ice, but the entire organization. That doesn't mean everyone has to go, but I feel that some new blood would be a great idea. The Devils have been plugging in cookie cutter players and coaches for the last 10 years with little to no success.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really like McLellan and I think he would be an excellent coach for the Devils. I hope the Robinson connection could push the hiring through. Good news is we have the most stable management compared to the other teams that could be looking at him.

I don't doubt Steven can be a good coach but I do not like coaches with limited experience. The same can be said with the other cast-offs like Paul Maclean. I don't want another DeBoer or Johnny Mac and the leftovers are similar to those guys.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not thrilled with any of the choices out there and I don't agree McLellan got the most out of the Sharks, in fact until this year I think they've been under achievers

Not a fan of Oates. I like Stevens a lot but not sure he is ready...stayed tuned I guess

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He got them to two conference finals. At some point management has to realize the squad isn't getting it done and shake things up. Something I give lou credit for in 99 with arnott and then in 03 with newendyk. I know Thornton is the face of the team there but they should've shipped him out if they could or marleu

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Paul Maclean would just be a rehash of Julien Maclean and Stevens and lemaire. Defense responsible two way positional hockey. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Would love some personality behind that bench. Lavolette someone like that hell marc Crawford someone with passion flare.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd definitely hire McLellan over Stevens or Oates. No shame in losing to the Hawks or Kings in a 7 game series at any point over the past 5 seasons.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Paul Maclean is the same exact thing as DeBoer. Complex, effective system that half the players didn't understand. Favoritism towards players who play his system, irregardless if they have any talent or not. Very slow/non-existent adaptation to fit the needs of the players he's given.

McClellan seems the most like Burns out of the coaches we had. Very good coach and will be a good coach for a long time. It may not be the perfect type of coach but there aren't any Lemaires around coaching the NHL anymore.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Finding a single head coach is important, but this team still lacks talent and speed. Nobody out there will come in and turn this team to a cup contender next season. I am all for a new system, new ideas.

I hope the team continues to dump more dead weight this summer.
Ryder, Havlat, Salvador, Harrold all are done and will not be back.
Zubrus has another year, but would be great to get rid of him. He is just too slow for today's hockey.
Bernier, Tootoo and Gomez are all UFAs. Tough decisions. Can't overpay for them, or give multi year deals with NTC.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bernier gomez tootoo should get 1 year deals. Leaves the possibility of moving them at the deadline.

Paul Macclenn is boring defense first hockey. He is perfect for the Devils I can see him coming in even though I don't like it. McClellan looks like an older Leonardo Dicaprio (my wife thinks I'm nuts) but he is too high profile for this team lou would never bring him in.

Just tired of the cookie cutter coaches rhe cookie cutter reactions and press conferences after the loss. People need to be held accountable on this roster but lou doesn't get the coaches to do it. Go figure

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can see Tootoo and Bernier getting multi year deal offers. This is where Lou might be forced to match and throw in the NTC. These are 2 guys you want on a team, especially in the playoffs. Bernier's hit is something everybody remembers in 2012, but he had a very good playoff run that year, and his line was a major reason the team even got to the finals.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think interest in Gomez will be lower. He seems to only play well in NJ

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bernier and tootoo should show some love to lou. He resurrected their careers

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Colorado Avalanche Need to Make Big Changes

this is why i dont want former devils in these jobs.

add mac to the list of former player turned coach that flopped.

i'm sure there are exceptions to this thinking but can anyone tell me a former player turned coach/gm for the same team they played for that worked out well?

steve y in tampa is doing good
joe newendyk got the boot in dallas with brett hull
kevin lowe and mactavish we have seen what happened in oil country.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I agree. Out of all the established coaches him or Dan byslyma would be my two choices. Ted Nolan another since he knows how to work a team without any talent but we know he won't get hired

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Blysma. He's the opposite of Nolan...he had the most talented team and got them to underperform

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
true but he did get them that cup and back to back finals. i think the pens are just like the sharks now they just need to "blow it up" meaning trade malkin or letang or someone. they wont win another cup with them 3. throw fluery in the mix with his contract too. need some fresh blood its like their roster has become stagnant