• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Interviews begin

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers announced yesterday that they will not further pursue Derek Fisher as a possible candidate for the Lakers HC position. No reason was given for the decision. One down and how many to go?

As much as I like D-Fish, I am glad they are not pursuing him as a candidate. I think we need a coach with some experience. I'd like to see us get a coach who can teach the young guys and have the respect of the vets. That type of coach is also going to attract FA's.

My top 5 in order:

1.) Larry Brown - I know many disagree because of his age. But the guy is one of the best teachers in the game and has the respect of vets as well. He is Phil/Pop level as far as knowledge of the game and respect. Besides, I'm just not ready to jump off this bandwagon (even if I'm the only one on it.:lol:).

2.) Byron Scott - I used to have him lower on my list because I have concerns about him having 2 teams essentially mutiny on him. However, he has made it no secret that he wants this job and wants it badly. He has even gone as far as to say that he is the best candidate for the job. That goes a long way with me, and I love the confidence. Plus, word is that he is close with Kyrie Irving which tells me that he may be attractive to FA's, particularly younger ones. I just hope he has learned from what happened at his 2 stops where there were issues.

3.) JVG - He would be my #2 choice if not for Scott wanting this job so badly. He is very knowledgeable about the game and while he is a "players coach", he is feisty enough (and has enough respect from vets) to be able tell Kobe and other vets to stfu if he feels it's necessary.

4.) Lionel Hollins - I've never understood what happened in Memphis. He is an excellent coach and more important, he is an excellent defensive coach. My only concern with him is how good is he at coaching offense? We had a defense first coach in Mike Brown and it didn't work. The we had an offense first coach in D'Antoni which also didn't work (even if he never really got to work with a full roster). I think the Lakers need a coach who can coach both ends of the floor effectively. Hire Hollins and re-hire D'Antoni as offensive coordinator?:noidea:

5.) Mark Jackson - I don't know if the Lakers have any interest in him or not and I think that at least part of the problem in GSW was his ego. However, he seems to be well-liked by NBA players (thus attractive to FA's), but he has the feel of a coach who could wear out his welcome fairly quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I like D-Fish, I am glad they are not pursuing him as a candidate. I think we need a coach with some experience. I'd like to see us get a coach who can teach the young guys and have the respect of the vets. That type of coach is also going to attract FA's.

My top 5 in order:

1.) Larry Brown - I know many disagree because of his age. But the guy is one of the best teachers in the game and has the respect of vets as well. He is Phil/Pop level as far as knowledge of the game and respect. Besides, I'm just not ready to jump off this bandwagon (even if I'm the only one on it.:lol:).

2.) Byron Scott - I used to have him lower on my list because I have concerns about him having 2 teams essentially mutiny on him. However, he has made it no secret that he wants this job and wants it badly. He has even gone as far as to say that he is the best candidate for the job. That goes a long way with me, and I love the confidence. Plus, word is that he is close with Kyrie Irving which tells me that he may be attractive to FA's, particularly younger ones. I just hope he has learned from what happened at his 2 stops where there were issues.

3.) JVG - He would be my #2 choice if not for Scott wanting this job so badly. He is very knowledgeable about the game and while he is a "players coach", he is feisty enough (and has enough respect from vets) to be able tell Kobe and other vets to stfu if he feels it's necessary.

4.) Lionel Hollins - I've never understood what happened in Memphis. He is an excellent coach and more important, he is an excellent defensive coach. My only concern with him is how good is he at coaching offense? We had a defense first coach in Mike Brown and it didn't work. The we had an offense first coach in D'Antoni which also didn't work (even if he never really got to work with a full roster). I think the Lakers need a coach who can coach both ends of the floor effectively. Hire Hollins and re-hire D'Antoni as offensive coordinator?:noidea:

5.) Mark Jackson - I don't know if the Lakers have any interest in him or not and I think that at least part of the problem in GSW was his ego. However, he seems to be well-liked by NBA players (thus attractive to FA's), but he has the feel of a coach who could wear out his welcome fairly quickly.

Good list. I would swap 3 and 5, bringing Jackson to 3 and JVG to 5. I am on board with the Larry Brown move IF we think we can put together a "win now" type team. Means we have to think we are going to be able to re-sign Pau, hit a home run with our draft pick, and somehow land a marquee FA (Love?). If we truly are rebuilding and on more of a 3-5 year program, might as well get a young coach and see if he can pan out (Scott).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great list and order TJF12. Mark Jackson is also rumored to be talking to Phil as Phil has been having mostly phone conversations with Derek Fisher. Apparently Bill Cartwright didn't rustle Phil's jimmies after his interview and is pursuing Fisher and Jackson at the present.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Utah Jazz hired Quin Synder, an assistant with the Hawks. I have mentioned this before that I thought that is where the Lakers should be looking for their next coach. Mixed reviews on the Utah hiring. Maybe the Lakers are looking there but have to wait to both teams finish the NBA Finals.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this list, tf12!! Personally, wouldn't kill me if we got Brown, but I'm liking B Scott & JVG as my top 2.

:suds:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, Larry Brown recently said that he has no interest so he's out on the coaching search

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down to Scott and Hollins I think now!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Hollins and Scott are the front runners with Mark Jackson entering the fray in New York. We could know right after the Finals are complete. Perhaps.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well CL67. There are several outlets for the suspence. There is the NBA Finals with all of those Miami Heat fans. There is the NHL Stanley Cup Finals with all of the LA King haters and then there is the failed bid for a triple crown by Cali Chrome. Those three right there can keep you busy for at least the next two weeks although the Belmont was ran yesterday and we already know the outcome.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Knicks have hired D-Fish as their next head coach.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 years $25 mill for Fisher.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Phil is going with D. Fisher and I suppose that means he retired as a player. Phil is hoping he can pull a Jason Kidd in Brooklyn.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy for D-Fisher, congratulations. He will be making more money as a coach than a player, with that contract, but his going to have a lot of work to do in the big apple, yikes!.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: I guess D. Fisher is going to implement the triangle and Phil is going to start getting the triangle type players. Ten-to-one, Phil and Derek get a hold of Pau Gasol since Phil has already signed Odom. Could it be Phil draws Kobe to N.Y.? Yikes!!

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Fisher does well. I have nothing but the greatest respect for him.

Isn't the Draft just around the corner? Time for the Lakers to narrow the choices and get serious about having a coach in place for Draft time.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Fisher does well. I have nothing but the greatest respect for him.

Isn't the Draft just around the corner? Time for the Lakers to narrow the choices and get serious about having a coach in place for Draft time.

:agree:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pulling for Fish as well. Always a class act, and was always a great leader.