• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Contracts

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a few questions.

The Nets were reportedly trying to get Udoka as their coach. (I know they named Jacque Vaughn instead.)

1. I presume that he would have been able to coach because he’s not suspended by the Brooklyn Nets, which is a different organization.

2. Was Udoka available contractually because of the suspension? Would he not have been without the suspension? He could not just go sign with the Nets if none of this happened, right?

3. Would the Celtics have to release Udoka, would that be part of a buyout agreement? Would there have been a trade?

4. If a trade is not needed, and he can just sign, this seems absurd. So I think he would have to be released or traded, and the Celtics may want that for PR reasons. But I‘d also be upset with conversations being made to hire my own coach, even if I suspended them. Do you think the league will look into anything like that? I know that tampering is a big issue for players, but unless the Celtics were OK with this, this seems worse.

Now, I never saw this being brought up as an issue besides how bad the Nets would look for hiring him. I didn’t see anyone ever mention anything about contracts, buyouts, trading, tampering, etc. So it either means that those things are just assumed to happen if he became their coach or that it’s no big deal to anyone. Now that he didn’t, I didn’t see anything about the Celtics blocking it either.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics were willing to release him from his contract to sign with the Nets. It was pressure from the league to not sign Udoka this soon into his suspension.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics were willing to release him from his contract to sign with the Nets. It was pressure from the league to not sign Udoka this soon into his suspension.

Thank you. I admit that I did not go searching for the answer before asking here, but I didn’t naturally see anyone mention that. It just seemed that all the conversation was about how it would appear bad for Brooklyn amid all the comments from Irving. And then talk about how it didn’t happen.