• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney, Watkins Or Mack?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring Trade, Rams Deciding on Mack or Watkins

Updated April 1, 2014
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

When the Rams landed the second-overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, thanks to their 2012 deal with the Redskins, many thought that once again St. Louis would be in position to make another big trade to load up on extra early-round draft picks for the next few years. As it turns out, some teams we've spoken to in the top 10 feel as though the Rams will have a trade market for the No. 2 pick.

There are four players that are viewed as elite in this draft: South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, Buffalo outside linebacker Khalil Mack and Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson. Some teams want to come away to land one of the elite players, or get ahead of other teams to get the top quarterback prospect, Central Florida's Blake Bortles. In order to move down, the Rams would have to do it for less than the package they received from Washington, and St. Louis general manager Les Snead has been willing to move lower for less. He did in 2012 when the Rams traded down from the sixth-overall pick to the 14th with the Cowboys for a second-round pick.

However, there is a good chance that the Rams will be stuck at No. 2 with nobody offering a deal worth passing on one of the elite talents in this draft. From speaking to sources, if St. Louis is stuck there and can't select Jadeveon Clowney, its pick is coming down to Watkins or Mack.

The Rams have drafted a receiver in the top 35 picks in the last two drafts, including a trade into the top 10 to land Tavon Austin last year. Watkins could give St. Louis an explosive receiving tandem with Austin, but considering they also have invested picks in Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens (as well as the signing of Kenny Britt), that is an awful lot of resources for wide receivers without that many targets to go around considering St. Louis likes to run the ball with Zac Stacy.

Sources say that Mack is the direction that St. Louis is leaning at No. 2. It sounds like the Rams are falling in love with the Buffalo pass-rusher. Mack's speed, strength and physicality is exactly what Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams are looking for. They feel they can do a lot of creative blitzes with Mack and their two pass-rushing defensive ends: Robert Quinn and Chris Long. They would have all three rushing the quarterback on passing downs, with Long or Quinn moving inside on occasion. Mack would also give the Rams another edge rusher if Long gets too pricey to keep in two or three years after extending Quinn. They also would have depth in case they have a serious injury.

St. Louis feels it needs an elite front seven to top its divisional rivals, including the defending Super Bowl Champion Seahawks and a 49ers team that has made it to three straight NFC Championship Games. Arizona won 10 games last year and is a tough team that is getting better. With Mack, Long, Quinn, Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis, the Rams would have a lot of play-makers in their front seven who are good run and pass defenders.

The Rams, like all teams, are about to start convening all their area scouts in St. Louis as they hold their draft meetings and host prospects on teams visits in the final weeks before the draft. Things can change in those meetings, but right now, the Rams are coming down to Mack or Watkins with the second-overall pick, with Mack being the favorite.

In case you didn't want to read the whole article, it basically says if they can't select Clowney, the pick comes down to Watkins or Mack if they stay at #2 ( according to sources ).

Obviously, there is still a month to go and things could change, but I don't see how the Rams haven't narrowed their targets to 3-4 players if they stay at #2 ( the 4th possibly being Robinson or Matthews ).

I think the only one available of those 3 mentioned if they trade down would be Mack. But how far down they go may eliminate him as well. So, if they really want one of those 3, they may pass on a trade and pick at #2.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were up to me I would pick Mack, if Clowney is off the table. Mack is good/athletic enough to play in any type of defense. Our LBing corp would instantly become the strongest area of the whole team, heck I would dare say the whole division. Mack will be a stud in this league.

As far as Sammy Watkins, I really don't think they are even considering him after signing Britt. I don't even think that Watkins has even visited Rams Park or even scheduled a visit. Here's an article about who's visiting Rams Park. Its still early I know, but if they really wanted this guy, it seems to me they would want to give him a private workout.

Rams host parade of pre-draft visitors : Sports

Here's the list of players, so far, who we know are visiting or have visited the Rams as part of their 30 private visits:
Clowney
Jake Matthews, OT
Greg Robinson, OT
Taylor Lewan, OT
Derek Carr, QB
Ryan Shazier, OLB
Stephon Tuitt, DL
Justin Gilbert, CB

Last edited by a moderator:

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it would have to be Mack if they ended up at #2 and Clowney goes to Houston...

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wonder, since their is a lack of a super qb (aka a luck/manning ect) that the rams are trying to bring up mack into the second pick discussion to grab another teams attention for a trade that we haven't considered. :scratch:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Clowney is there it's looking like he will be our pick. Unless its a huge smoke screen I don't see them passing on him. IMO and I mean IMO I think it's a huge mistake but that's not the point of this thread.

I don't think we pick Mack at 2 No way no how. He's a OLB in a 3-4 system and I don't seem him going top 5. If Clowney isn't there I think we trade down or pick Watkins.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The order I would put them is:
1. Watkins
2. Mack
3. Clowney

The very first pick should definitely be either an OL (Matthews or Robinson) or Watkins in my opinion.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wonder, since their is a lack of a super qb (aka a luck/manning ect) that the rams are trying to bring up mack into the second pick discussion to grab another teams attention for a trade that we haven't considered. :scratch:

This seems right to me. Look interested in the most hyped players to interest teams to trade up. Everyone knows Fisher's past with not drafting O-line early, so link your name with the top guys at other positions.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think even if Clowney goes 1 there will be a bidding war for the top QB at 2. and the Rams will be trading back. I can't see the Jags, Browns, Raiders, Vikes, Bills sitting there and letting a QB slip by.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but the problem is that all the QBs are fairly comparable to each other as far as rating/value goes. Nobody is going to give up very much because they realize one or the other will fall to them. Only way is if a team has one of them rated much higher than the others. I'm thinking Bortles is the first to be selected.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but the problem is that all the QBs are fairly comparable to each other as far as rating/value goes. Nobody is going to give up very much because they realize one or the other will fall to them. Only way is if a team has one of them rated much higher than the others. I'm thinking Bortles is the first to be selected.

Idk I don't think teams think like that on the clock. Each team will have a QB that they like the best. I don't think they will just sit there and be happy with settling with the next or third best QB when your talking about getting a franchise QB for the next many years. I don't think the rams will get an rg3 type deal but I think it will be at minimum a second rd pick and a second next year.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Clowney is there it's looking like he will be our pick. Unless its a huge smoke screen I don't see them passing on him. IMO and I mean IMO I think it's a huge mistake but that's not the point of this thread.

I don't think we pick Mack at 2 No way no how. He's a OLB in a 3-4 system and I don't seem him going top 5. If Clowney isn't there I think we trade down or pick Watkins.

Do we think Mack can play the Sam and be the third with JL and Ogletree?

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk I don't think teams think like that on the clock. Each team will have a QB that they like the best. I don't think they will just sit there and be happy with settling with the next or third best QB when your talking about getting a franchise QB for the next many years. I don't think the rams will get an rg3 type deal but I think it will be at minimum a second rd pick and a second next year.

Yeah, but none of these guys are in the same class as RG3 or Luck. So they are all second tier QBs and they're so close to each other there really isn't much to separate them. If given the choice I'm sure teams have their preference, but is there really that much difference in Manziel or Bridgewater? Each has different strengths and weaknesses, but overall they are all pretty close. I wouldn't give up very much to choose one over the other if I knew one of them was going to be there when my turn came up.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we think Mack can play the Sam and be the third with JL and Ogletree?

I honestly don't know. I'm sure he's been scouted enough for NFL FO's to know whether or not he can play it. But my problem with it is we play a 4-3 Defense and the Sam and Will LB's aren't as important as they are in the 3-4 system. I just don't see us taking a LB that early in the draft. If we played a 3-4 then i would be singing a different tune :yahoo:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the heck would we take a wr when we already a boat load of em?? :L:L:L:L:L

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
Funny how some opinions are worthy and some are not. I happen to believe the QB position is our greatest need then OL then SS. I know that is not the popular belief. I guess I should have stuck to the original choices to save you from cleaning up the mess.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how some opinions are worthy and some are not. I happen to believe the QB position is our greatest need then OL then SS. I know that is not the popular belief. I guess I should have stuck to the original choices to save you from cleaning up the mess.

So, my opinion makes you sad? It's just an opinion (a strong one, but an opinion none the less). It would much better than those rumors a few years ago about the Rams drafting Tebow for sure.