• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Close division fight or big lead?

Texas_Pete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering what y'all think, I was chatting to a guy last night who was so envious of Atlanta's division lead and pretty much guaranteed play off spot, he said he'd rather be in that position than the one we are in (Rangers) with the A's on our tail. I disagreed thinking as a fan that every game from here is a nail biter and exciting with the obvious goal to reach play offs.

I'm sure the ball clubs would choose the latter as that fills the stadiums, however which one sells more "stuff" Atlanta must be seeing a large increase in fair weather fans now that will buy a shirt as they know they will be able to wear it in October.

What do you think is better?

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves, they are 13 games up. I can wait for the extra excitement come playoff time. I enjoy baseball first, so I can have fun watching other close races

Texas_Pete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand the question... If you are asking who is in the better position? The Braves without question. They are 13 games up, if this is the question

Obviously they are in a better position as a team, I'm wondering what is better for a fan.

Texas_Pete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves, they are 13 games up. I can wait for the extra excitement come playoff time. I enjoy baseball first, so I can have fun watching other close races

Really? that's what he said too, why do I feel different then, I must be some kind of masochist.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the post season may favor teams in tight races down to the wire as it seems to keep the teams focused, and playing their best baseball. Look at the last three World Series winners. Only one of those teams finished the season with a lead of more than 2 games (2012 Giants). The 2010 giants finished with a 2 game lead, and the cards rose from the ashes to win the wildcard in the last week of the season.

Texas_Pete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the post season may favor teams in tight races down to the wire as it seems to keep the teams focused, and playing their best baseball.

And then there is that, wished I thought about that last night. Looking at Atlanta's last 10 games they are 5-5 so is there complacency maybe and this series versus the Cardinals will be a wake up call?

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the post season may favor teams in tight races down to the wire as it seems to keep the teams focused, and playing their best baseball. Look at the last three World Series winners. Only one of those teams finished the season with a lead of more than 2 games (2012 Giants). The 2010 giants finished with a 2 game lead, and the cards rose from the ashes to win the wildcard in the last week of the season.

It all comes down to who gets hot at the right time, and I think it depends on your team if getting some days off, maybe skipping a start or grinding it out is what each particular team needs. Most important thing is getting into the playoffs w/o playing the one and done. It came down to the last day of the season last year and Rangers were one and done. In 2011 they won the division by 10 games and made it to the WS.

Most importantly, just win the damn division so you don't play a fake ass playoff game. (game, singular)

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A big division lead is much better for me, the fan, my heart rate isn't rising up every night, I can just relax and watch the games and not worry about the other teams in the division