• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Checking in

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Was watching 'The Walking Dead' tonight and thought of this place for some reason..........well, not this forum particularly, but more the site. This was easily the best Giants forum on the net. And the guy most responsible that, Filo, is gone?

As for my absence - a few reasons:

• 13000 posts is too many. Far before that I found I was mostly repeating myself.
  • The new owner seemed like a mercenary dick and I didn't want to contribute anything, however miniscule, to his pocket (principle of reciprocity in action)
  • Things got busy for me and baseball fandom had to go for a while
  • I thought the Giants would have a down year, and Scutaro stumbling out of preseason fielding like an old man really turned me off.

I don't post anywhere else, BTW. I think the forum model is dying in favor of the ad-hoc communities such as twitter. But then again, I haven't even had time to post my thoughts/opinions on twitter either. Nevertheless, I did want to check in and let anyone who might be wondering that all is well with me. I hope all is going well with everyone else too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching 'The Walking Dead' tonight and thought of this place for some reason..........well, not this forum particularly, but more the site. This was easily the best Giants forum on the net. And the guy most responsible that, Filo, is gone?

• 13000 posts is too many. Far before that I found I was mostly repeating myself.
  • The new owner seemed like a mercenary dick and I didn't want to contribute anything, however miniscule, to his pocket (principle of reciprocity in action)
  • I thought the Giants would have a down year, and Scutaro stumbling out of preseason fielding like an old man really turned me off.

I don't post anywhere else, BTW. I think the forum model is dying in favor of the ad-hoc communities such as twitter. But then again, I haven't even had time to post my thoughts/opinions on twitter either. Nevertheless, I did want to check in and let anyone who might be wondering that all is well with me. I hope all is going well with everyone else too.

Good to see you again. I try not to post too much either. Can't spend my whole life posting on message boards. I already spend too much time reading and posting about sports.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, glad all's well. We did miss you and your gifs around here. Were you lurking?

None of us like the owner here either but we figured if he stayed out of our way (and he has), until we found a better spot we'd just keep going. We haven't been able to find one. The place Filo went to was pretty crappy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GP!!!

Good to see you, man! We actually had listed the worst as one of the reasons you had disappeared, so it is great to be able to remove that from the list of possibilities.

Good for you for prioritizing your life properly. You do what you need to do!

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey GP!

Glad all is well with you. We do miss your insights and your banter. Also glad to hear that you shifted some of your 'life priorities' around because you had to. Message boards are exacly that .... message board and not the 'meaning of life'. I also agree that some of the social media pathways will soon overtake these old standards. I myself don't post that regularly but tend to 'lurk' quite a bit.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will add my welcome as well. We have missed your thoughtfulness here. Not that we lack for it, but you add a great deal to our conversations.

I don't remember when I started on the Mouse board, it may have been ten + years ago, when Brute and Cazic and LLDoyle and those guys ruled.

I am not sure you can duplicate on Twitter the in game chatter that goes on with a message board. Just look at the thousand posts the 49ers board gets on its GDT, before kickoff!

Glad to know you are OK, we were, uh, concerned that Filo had gotten serious about the dues collection from you.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's been a lonely, lonely stint here without you brother. I understand, but am not happy about your absence. Maybe you could just post less...but still post here?

[YOUTUBE]iyp9fh-u4w8[/YOUTUBE]

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will add my welcome as well. We have missed your thoughtfulness here. Not that we lack for it, but you add a great deal to our conversations.

I don't remember when I started on the Mouse board, it may have been ten + years ago, when Brute and Cazic and LLDoyle and those guys ruled.

I am not sure you can duplicate on Twitter the in game chatter that goes on with a message board. Just look at the thousand posts the 49ers board gets on its GDT, before kickoff!

Glad to know you are OK, we were, uh, concerned that Filo had gotten serious about the dues collection from you.

That's because from my perspective the 49ers have had a lot more posters who have contributed to the boards compared to the Giants forums back on ESPN. Obviously I've posted more on the 49ers forum than on the SFG one for both ESPN and SportsHoopla but there are a lot of folks over the years who have contributed a lot of good information about the 49ers and have been recruited over here relentlessly by some of the Old Guard from the 49ers forum.

Btw, good to see you back GP. I really enjoyed reading your posts eventhough I don't really respond on here.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because from my perspective the 49ers have had a lot more posters who have contributed to the boards compared to the Giants forums back on ESPN. Obviously I've posted more on the 49ers forum than on the SFG one for both ESPN and SportsHoopla but there are a lot of folks over the years who have contributed a lot of good information about the 49ers and have been recruited over here relentlessly by some of the Old Guard from the 49ers forum.

Btw, good to see you back GP. I really enjoyed reading your posts eventhough I don't really respond on here.

It has MUCH more to do with the fact that the NFL is much more popular than baseball. How many times over there do you find people saying baseball is "too slow" or "too boring."

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GP!

Hey man, good too see you're doing well and still around.

I totally understand how life gets busy but I like knowing I can still stop by here and see some familiar Giants fans. My baseball IQ has dropped a few points without your fan graphs.

Speaking of Walking Dead, there's a good thread on here discussing the show. I see Cal drop in there from time to time. I thought another season at the prison would drag but I like what they're doing with it so far.

Agree with your thoughts on the owner. I've made my thoughts known.

GP shows up and Timmy decides to stick around for a few years and make another run at a ring..coincidence? I think not.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has MUCH more to do with the fact that the NFL is much more popular than baseball. How many times over there do you find people saying baseball is "too slow" or "too boring."

Depends on who you ask. Some areas are more baseball oriented as opposed to football.

SF loves the Giants, but I grew up here and I always felt the 49ers have always been on the front cover than any other team, including that other football team from across the bridge.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who you ask. Some areas are more baseball oriented as opposed to football.

SF loves the Giants, but I grew up here and I always felt the 49ers have always been on the front cover than any other team, including that other football team from across the bridge.

I can't think of a city that has both NFL and MLB where the baseball team has more viewership than the football team. Not even St Louis.

Football is the ratings king. This sucks, and exemplifies the further decline of our once great nation, but it is what it is.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

ibvsaFTVvnaE79.gif

-
-
-
Welcome back. :cool2:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice to see that you are alive and well, and that the rumors of you dying in a drug overdose with a supermodel by your side were clearly false. ;)

I've been mostly away this year as well. I think there were a very small number of game threads that you, I, Stokes, and a few others weren't commenting on over the last three years. While Stokes is clearly a better man than I, and continues to bring his insight, energy, and humor regularly to this board, I hit major burnout (my real life has gotten crazy as well). Just couldn't do it anymore.

Let's hope 2014 brings back a return of some of the old regulars to posting on this board and more success for our beloved Giants. Who knows, maybe we can get Filo back if we offer him enough scotch.

All kidding aside, nice to know you are doing well.