• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chase Utley Suspended for games 3 and 4

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a loose translation of Rule 5.09(a)(13) which states that a player is out if he intentionally interferes with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball. Intentional collisions are against MLB rules.

Here's some more just in case you didn't understand that part:

"The objective of this rule is to penalize the offensive team for deliberate, unwarranted, unsportsmanlike action by the runner in leaving the baseline for the obvious purpose of crashing the pivot man on a double play, rather than trying to reach the base," the 2015 MLB rulebook states.
'In leaving the baseline'

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, here we go with the "it's always been that way". Save it. Just because you've been watching longer doesn't mean you understand it better. It's called evolving. And don't bring my team into it just because you don't have any other argument. I've already stated that I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't have been suspended. And fuck the Dodgers.
Okay fair enough, but if you think that Utley shouldn't have been suspended, then what's your beef? The slide was legal, his left hand was over (not touching) the bag. How can it been called "evolving", when the umps have allowed that type of slide all year long. Just because Tejada had his leg broken, MLB Had to overreact.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'In leaving the baseline'
So are you saying that the baseline from 1st to 2nd runs behind the 2nd base bag towards right field? Looked like that's where Utley's body was to me.
Tell you what: let's just agree to disagree because I don't value your opinion on the matter. Save us both the keystrokes.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay fair enough, but if you think that Utley shouldn't have been suspended, then what's your beef? The slide was legal, his left hand was over (not touching) the bag.
His legs were out of the baseline and intentionally trying to run into Tejada. I just think as a position player, he should know better. Totally unnecessary and dangerous to both of them.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you saying that the baseline from 1st to 2nd runs behind the 2nd base bag towards right field? Looked like that's where Utley's body was to me.
Tell you what: let's just agree to disagree because I don't value your opinion on the matter. Save us both the keystrokes.
You're really going far for your argument. Really stretching, man

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His legs were out of the baseline and intentionally trying to run into Tejada. I just think as a position player, he should know better. Totally unnecessary and dangerous to both of them.
So now you are going to tell the umps where the base paths are? That was never a issue that night.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legs out of baseline is fine as long as some part of you can reach bag. You just proved that you don't really know baseball

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until MLB addresses this issue, then it will continue like it has for years.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably did that when he has with the Dodgers. When he played for the Giants, he followed all rules - written or otherwise.
LMFAO!!!!!! Yeah Jeff Kent followed the rules when playing for the Giants!!! Damn that's funny.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it your assertion that the base paths are rays and not paths from one base to another as the name would suggest?
Your argument is silly. He slid as he was getting to the base. You're 'he was sliding beyond' argument is ridiculous. No one has ever brought that up. No one has ever had a written or even unwritten rule like what you're saying. Ever. Never

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legs out of baseline is fine as long as some part of you can reach bag. You just proved that you don't really know baseball
giphy.gif

Is it because i don't have a cheer jersey? Awww. All the sadz.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
strange dodgers avoiding playing him. don't think they win tonight this suspension likely takes place starting next season

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your argument is silly. He slid as he was getting to the base. You're 'he was sliding beyond' argument is ridiculous. No one has ever brought that up. No one has ever had a written or even unwritten rule like what you're saying. Ever. Never

You're a big poopy head!

See? I can argue like you as well.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a big poopy head!

See? I can argue like you as well.
No no brought up facts.
He slid before the base. He made contact at the base. No one has ever brought up a 'if your slide takes you beyond the base then it's outside the path' argument. Ever.

Facts.

You're being obtuse, off-base (ironic), and dumb.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No no brought up facts.
He slid before the base. He made contact at the base. No one has ever brought up a 'if your slide takes you beyond the base then it's outside the path' argument. Ever.

Facts.

Moxie did, so you're wrong. Then I did, so you're wrong twice.

How about that, dickhead?

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No no brought up facts.

Facts.

No he didn't. Did you watch the video? He is in line with the right field side of the 2nd base bag when his knee starts to come down. His knee doesn't touch dirt until after. Late slide. And I didn't say beyond the base, I said towards right field, like how the video shows.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's ignore rule 5.09 for now and look instead at rule 6.01.

Rule 6.01(a)(5) states:

"Any batter or runner who has just been put out, or any runner who has just scored, hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate."

So an argument could be made that players who are out at second should not be allowed to intentionally take out the fielder with their slide since they would be a put-out runner interfering with an effort to put out another runner, and it would be a pretty good argument.

Also,

Rule 6.01(a)(10)

In which a runner who fails to avoid a fielder and interferes with a throw will be called for interference. That's a long one because enforcement is complicated, so I didn't transpose it here.

Additionally, it is important to note that the baseline is also defined in Rule 5.09 as the line between bases with three feet on either side. Sliding after the base puts you out of the baseline.

Of course, to make this more explicit, it simply needs to be designated that a genuine effort must be made to reach the base. Sliding past it or way wide of it to break up the double play would not be a genuine effort at the base. Boom, no more takeout slides. But certain reasonable interpretations of current rules could also suffice, I think.