• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chargers "could be serious" about going after Oregon QB Marcus Mariota

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, there's been league-wide speculation that the Chargers "could be serious" about going after Oregon QB Marcus Mariota.

Reporter Kevin Acee's report cites "numerous people in and around the league." The Bolts have scheduled a private workout with Mariota next month. It's unlikely Mariota would fall to the Chargers at No. 17, so a trade up would likely be necessary to secure his services. Per Acee, the speculation comes as Philip Rivers' Chargers future is up in the air. Rivers intends to play out the final year of his deal without an extension, while GM Tom Telesco wouldn't offer a blanket denial that Rivers could eventually be traded.
Related: Chargers

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Mar 17 - 6:42 PM

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they somehow pull this off, it'll be a Rivers-Brees redux. Rivers got drafted in 2004, the year before Brees' last year in San Diego. If Mariota arrives in SD this year, Rivers will be the guy playing out his last year for the new guy in town. Not sure whether Rivers will be the next Brees, but it'll be a good gameplan to have Mariota sit and watch for one year. If he starts and Rivers sits, that'll be interesting.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they somehow pull this off, it'll be a Rivers-Brees redux. Rivers got drafted in 2004, the year before Brees' last year in San Diego. If Mariota arrives in SD this year, Rivers will be the guy playing out his last year for the new guy in town. Not sure whether Rivers will be the next Brees, but it'll be a good gameplan to have Mariota sit and watch for one year. If he starts and Rivers sits, that'll be interesting.

If you give up what its likely going to take to get Mariota, odds are they are not going to have him sit an entire year. Im just saying. But from a redskins point of view, the more teams NOT named Washington that fall in love with him the better for us. Worst case some one trades up over us and a true blue chipper falls to us and we either get to pick him or trade down any way.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you give up what its likely going to take to get Mariota, odds are they are not going to have him sit an entire year. Im just saying. But from a redskins point of view, the more teams NOT named Washington that fall in love with him the better for us. Worst case some one trades up over us and a true blue chipper falls to us and we either get to pick him or trade down any way.[/QUO

The flipside to playing Mariota is the fact that you'd be sitting a backup with a $16.7M cap figure. If that's the case, I'm wondering if the Bolts try to trade Rivers and/or just cut him. He's 33 and is having a career renaissance, but you wonder how much left he has in the tank. If the Bolts do somehow get Mariota, they'll have several bad options to face in their quest for their next franchise QB.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flipside to playing Mariota is the fact that you'd be sitting a backup with a $16.7M cap figure. If that's the case, I'm wondering if the Bolts try to trade Rivers and/or just cut him. He's 33 and is having a career renaissance, but you wonder how much left he has in the tank. If the Bolts do somehow get Mariota, they'll have several bad options to face in their quest for their next franchise QB.

I dont see Mariota as a day one starter for the Bolts. But if the season gets out of hand, I could see them moving to the future sooner rather than later.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see Mariota as a day one starter for the Bolts. But if the season gets out of hand, I could see them moving to the future sooner rather than later.

I don't either, but if they're both on the roster, starting/sitting one or the other carries with it a distinctive and expensive downside.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should also note that Rivers' cap number this year is $17.42M, $15.75 of which is non-guaranteed base salary. If the Bolts cut Rivers this year, they clear $14.1M in cap space. The problem they've got if they want to cut him (to clear cap space) is timing: when do you do it? You can't do it too soon without knowing who you're starting is, but if you do it too late, you clear a bunch of cap space for nothing.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd check with the Eagles before I did anything with Rivers.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing people are going to have to realize is colleges arent producing "pro ready " qbs hence sitting a draft pick will become more and more of the norm like it used to be

the rookie wage scale means you arent paying big money to have a guy sit .

anyone believe that winston is pro ready ? 2 years of college and he is "pro ready " ?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see this as anything like Rivers/Brees. The Bolts thought Brees was not their future due to shoulder and inconsistent early play. So they traded back and got another young QB who was close to the same age.

I see this more like Rodgers/Favre where you have a QB who obviously needs time to develop sitting behind an aging QB who only has a few years left. This is kind of how you are supposed to do it IMO. And with the rookie deals set up the way they are now there is absolutely no reason to rush MM.

It is looking more and more obvious that the best thing is to have MM on the board when we pick.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this more like Rodgers/Favre where you have a QB who obviously needs time to develop sitting behind an aging QB who only has a few years left. This is kind of how you are supposed to do it IMO. And with the rookie deals set up the way they are now there is absolutely no reason to rush MM.

A much better comparison...in fact its nearly dead on.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing people are going to have to realize is colleges arent producing "pro ready " qbs hence sitting a draft pick will become more and more of the norm like it used to be

the rookie wage scale means you arent paying big money to have a guy sit .

anyone believe that winston is pro ready ? 2 years of college and he is "pro ready " ?

When RGIII was drafted I said that the team should sit both he and KC, summarily overruled in large part because of what you've stated but also because of what the team paid to get him. The results of that poor decision is pretty obvious now. You know Dad, your opening line here must not be taken lightly. It is a fact that colleges are not producing "pro-ready" QB's.I wonder why no one saw that when our two young guys were drafted?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When RGIII was drafted I said that the team should sit both he and KC, summarily overruled in large part because of what you've stated but also because of what the team paid to get him. The results of that poor decision is pretty obvious now. You know Dad, your opening line here must not be taken lightly. It is a fact that colleges are not producing "pro-ready" QB's.I wonder why no one saw that when our two young guys were drafted?

because we were blind to it and andrew luck was in the draft . plus some didnt understand the wage scale