• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: CFP SEMIFINAL: Clemson (13-0) vs Ohio State (13-0) 8pm ET ESPN

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, that is the actual rule.
ARTICLE 3. a. To catch a ball means that a player:

1. Secures firm control with the hand(s) or arm(s) of a live ball in flight before the ball touches the ground, and

2. Touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then

3. Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent

#3 is the gray area.

if they want to eliminate controversies like this, they should strike it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at this:

AR-191228854.jpg&MaxW=1200&MaxH=630

He is so clearly going for the wrap, but Lawrence completely dropped his helmet down at the last second. His shoulder made contact with Lawrence's shoulder, and then the helmets hit. It's a hit that happens to ball carriers dozens of times every week. It was an extremely weak call.

As soon as the hit happened — I said Wade is gone. You can’t lead with the crown of your helmet anymore.
Did you see how quick the review was on that play? It was a bad break to lose Wade, but the right call.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is crazy how complicated they have made what is or isn’t a catch now.

To me, that’s a catch and a fumble. All these rules they have ‘to complete the process’ is ridiculous.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as the hit happened — I said Wade is gone. You can’t lead with the crown of your helmet anymore.
Did you see how quick the review was on that play? It was a bad break to lose Wade, but the right call.
If I'm coaching db's, I'm telling them, "Go for the knees."

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The horse shit targeting became “defender led with the crown into the offensive players head” because Lawrence was wrapped up and DUCKED INTO IT. Yea “by rule” it’s the “right call” but the point is the rule is fucking stupid. It almost always gives favor to the offensive player. What’s the defend that supposed to do? Insta stop?

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pros to instant replay:

Cons to instant replay:

Slows down game
Frequently overturns correct calls
Angles are extremely deceptive
Preys on optical illusions (the mind filling in what the eyes aren’t really seeing)
It doesn’t work.
You never know when to cheer. It sucks to hear people cheering the final final decision louder than the play.
It’s boring.

That scoop and score was so obviously a touchdown that Cowherd jumped on the chance to troll. It happens all the time.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The roughing the punter call was worse though. That was text book 5 yard running into.....THEY HIT HIM JN THE AIR THOUGH!

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The horse shit targeting became “defender led with the crown into the offensive players head” because Lawrence was wrapped up and DUCKED INTO IT. Yea “by rule” it’s the “right call” but the point is the rule is fucking stupid. It almost always gives favor to the offensive player. What’s the defend that supposed to do? Insta stop?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The targeting rule has always been stupid. Football happens. You can usually tell if someone was intentionally head hunting though. Like I said it almost always caters to the offensive player. They can dip their head at the last second but it’s still “targeting” on the defense.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d also like to hear the replay officials explanation for how the fumble scoop td was “indisputably “ not that.

SnoopHawg

CJK5H@SMU
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,039.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant lead with the crown of the helmet no matter if the offensive player ducks his head or not. Thats what makes it targeting.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah he had the ball in his hands for 3 steps but he didn’t Make a “football move”

I've seen this exact play 100 times and its a completion. If the receiver grabs the ball and makes two steps and then steps out of bounds its a catch. Should've been a completed pass/fumble.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen this exact play 100 times and its a completion. If the receiver grabs the ball and makes two steps and then steps out of bounds its a catch. Should've been a completed pass/fumble.

Like I said I’d really like to hear the explanation from the replay officials about how it was indisputably not a fumble.....because you know, they’re not supposed to overturn a play unless it’s indisputable

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't even know where to start with this level of stupid.

Anyways, I was rooting for OSU as I always root for the B10 when it comes to bowl games. Watching the replay, looked like a catch and fumble to me. Clemson appeared to be getting a little help from the officiating crew. That said, OSU didn’t help themselves out on multiple plays such as roughing the kicker in the second half. Well, I’m sure they will get another chance to choke again next year.