• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB Free Agency

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact has been proven that Dana is not a good recruiter of high school talent. He does a much better job with JUCO and grad transfers. I see us getting into a cycle where our team becomes dominated by Juco and transfers in the future. You know what you get with JUCOs who have matured and fully developed. Frosh could drop out, or they could gain 100 pounds and become a monster as they develop. You just never really know.

Do you have examples? We just brought in Crawford from JUCO, yet got two great freshmen to sign in the same class. WR we brought in White from Juco yet signed top talent like Steven Smothers, Marcus Simms, Gary Jennings and this year Reggie Roberson.(who I predict to be the next great WR at WVU) Kazir White Juco, brought in Derek Pitts..

I also think it should be noted we bring in a lot of Jucos with three years left...is there a real difference between that and a frosh? They played one year of Juco got used to the college game and can still be developed here.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids like Smallwood, Petteway, McKoy, Gibson, Shuler, Joseph, Askew-Henry, Orlosky, Cajuste... all prove Another is spot on...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest I do not buy into the rankings as much as some.....but I will say we are seeing a lot of players not ranked that high come in here and develop into NFL talent. All three DL from last year might find themselves on NFL teams, yet their rankings were not very high 4 years ago.....I know you will never see it, but this staff is doing a lot of good things with the talent we can get. It seems DH has been pretty good with reloading not only players, but solid guys to put on the staff.

As I understand rankings its two fold...level of talent and if they are ready to play early...could be wrong..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understanding Scout.com's Top 300 is really not that difficult. A five-star rating is awarded to the top 50 prospects. A four-star rating is awarded to a prospect that is considered one of the next 250 best players, ranked No. 51 to 300.

That means a guy who is a three-star recruit in a very deep year, talent wise, might have been a four-star recruit in another year. Or vice versa.

Rivals
Not everyone does it that way. Rivals rates players based on the impact they are expected to have at their new school and their stars are a little more flexible -- and more generous -- than Scout:

A five-star prospect is considered to be one of the nation's top 25-30 players, four star is a top 250-300 or so player, three-stars is a top 750 level player, two stars means the player is a mid-major prospect and one star means the player is not ranked.

Rivals also assigns each player a number in their evaluation. Here's what they mean.

• 6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect
  • 6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player
  • 4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about
  • Found some of this interesting...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids like Smallwood, Petteway, McKoy, Gibson, Shuler, Joseph, Askew-Henry, Orlosky, Cajuste... all prove Another is spot on...

BBW how bout making a compassion between Stewart and Holgerson. Count the number of 4 and 5 star Freshman each brought in during their years taking out the ones who never played a down.

Compare recruiting ratings between RR, Stewart and Dana. How many 4 and 5 star guys did they bring in compared to Holgs?

Your list goes to prove my point 7 of the 9 you mention are 3 star recruits who have gone on to be productive players. 2 four star guys who have done well.

Now compare that to the JUCO and transfer players Holgs has brought in. Many of our starters this year will not be Freshman that Holgs has brought in but rather Free agents. Our last 3 starting QBs were transfers. Our best RBs the past 2 of 3 years have been transfers. Our secondary will again be dominated by transfers this year.

You may also want to note the assistants who recruited your list are gone now. Holgs is a good coach, who gets more out of many of his 3 star players than most. He just does not do great when it comes to getting top high school.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have examples? We just brought in Crawford from JUCO, yet got two great freshmen to sign in the same class. WR we brought in White from Juco yet signed top talent like Steven Smothers, Marcus Simms, Gary Jennings and this year Reggie Roberson.(who I predict to be the next great WR at WVU) Kazir White Juco, brought in Derek Pitts..

White was a 2 star according to rivals Jennings a 3 and Simms a 4, I also note that Holgs has brought in better star talent at WR than most any other position.

Crawford committed just a couple of days before signing day. I believe that McKoy and Petteway were already committed 3 star guys.

Pitts/Kazir- Pitts may be our 3rd starting safety and Kazir is a Senior so Pitts could still have his position for 3 years.

One good example is to look at our QB situation. Since Grier transferred in, we have not been able to land a top QB prospect. Saunders was already a sound mountaineer when the transfer news came in.

I also think it should be noted we bring in a lot of Jucos with three years left...is there a real difference between that and a frosh? They played one year of Juco got used to the college game and can still be developed here.

I agree with you there

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you there

Sir I respect your opinion, but I guess I do not understand why it matters what path players take to get here as long as they produce? To me it seems a real reach to add to other reason why you do not like this coach...to me it is a non issue.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBW how bout making a compassion between Stewart and Holgerson. Count the number of 4 and 5 star Freshman each brought in during their years taking out the ones who never played a down.

Compare recruiting ratings between RR, Stewart and Dana. How many 4 and 5 star guys did they bring in compared to Holgs?

Your list goes to prove my point 7 of the 9 you mention are 3 star recruits who have gone on to be productive players. 2 four star guys who have done well.

Now compare that to the JUCO and transfer players Holgs has brought in. Many of our starters this year will not be Freshman that Holgs has brought in but rather Free agents. Our last 3 starting QBs were transfers. Our best RBs the past 2 of 3 years have been transfers. Our secondary will again be dominated by transfers this year.

You may also want to note the assistants who recruited your list are gone now. Holgs is a good coach, who gets more out of many of his 3 star players than most. He just does not do great when it comes to getting top high school.

There are some truth in them words..

But it's a funny line that is drawn...I think about some of the "Better" talent that Rich and Stew tried to bring in...and I all I can seem to remember is several were bad character kids that no other school wanted...(SEE PACMAN JONES..SEE BRANKO BUSICK) ...thefts, DUI's, Assaults, Weapon's charges...I will say this about DANA..how many times do we hear his kids getting into that kind of trouble?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry I don't get your point. Was it to point out that Rich and Billy signed more 4 star players? If so... then the answer is yes they did.

We're not talking about a significant drop. It wasn't like either Rich or Billy were bringing in handfuls of 4 and 5 star kids. The depth of recruiting is far better today. Dana does not sign nearly as many 2 star kids as either Rich or Billy did. Dana has done a great job building his program.

WVU missed a great opportunity to take advantage of PSU, Pitt and MD all being down at the same time. Unfortunately, this brief window occurred when Dana was placed on the hot seat. Once again, WVU is back at a disadvantage going up against its rivals in recruiting.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some truth in them words..

But it's a funny line that is drawn...I think about some of the "Better" talent that Rich and Stew tried to bring in...and I all I can seem to remember is several were bad character kids that no other school wanted...(SEE PACMAN JONES..SEE BRANKO BUSICK) ...thefts, DUI's, Assaults, Weapon's charges...I will say this about DANA..how many times do we hear his kids getting into that kind of trouble?
That has been a great thing to see in both major sports at WVU the past few years, the thug image is fading. To this day every time PACMAN does something stupid, it is broadcast and rubbed in at work that he went to WVU........

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU missed a great opportunity to take advantage of PSU, Pitt and MD all being down at the same time. Unfortunately, this brief window occurred when Dana was placed on the hot seat. Once again, WVU is back at a disadvantage going up against its rivals in recruiting.
Stop with the BS excuses, coaches recruit from the "hot seat" all the time, just maybe Lyon's dealings with Holgorsen got him off his ass and doing his job....Holgorsen is learning his job, did a much better job this past season of every aspect of the job, hence the reason his contract was extended. The biggest reasons WVU is at a disadvantage in recruiting to the three schools you mentioned are a lack of in state talent, and playing in a league with the closest team 1000 miles away, not how warm the coaches seat is......

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and playing in a league with the closest team 1000 miles away, not how warm the coaches seat is......

You still on this? how has this hurt us at all? I have not seen one guy who didn't come here say "well they play teams so far away from each other"....Never hurt Notre Dame in recruiting:yes:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still on this? how has this hurt us at all? I have not seen one guy who didn't come here say "well they play teams so far away from each other"....Never hurt Notre Dame in recruiting:yes:
WVU isn't ND............you are fooling yourself if you think that issue is not being used by every school we recruit against

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU isn't ND............you are fooling yourself if you think that issue is not being used by every school we recruit against

I doubt our competition is opening with that and your a fool if they were not using "you are playing weak ass local competition" before. This like many of your other arguments is not measurable and you really can't provide proof that this is hurting our program. Recruiters use anything and everything in the process, should we change the colors of our school if they use that against us?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt our competition is opening with that and your a fool if they were not using "you are playing weak ass local competition" before. This like many of your other arguments is not measurable and you really can't provide proof that this is hurting our program. Recruiters use anything and everything in the process, should we change the colors of our school if they use that against us?
If you think it does not play into it, YOU are the fool. You think the Ohio, WVa, and PA kids being recruited to play at WVU, sPitt, PSU, OSU, even the MAC schools are not being told "here your mom and dad can come to most of your games, at WVU they can come to the home games".....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop with the BS excuses, coaches recruit from the "hot seat" all the time, just maybe Lyon's dealings with Holgorsen got him off his ass and doing his job....Holgorsen is learning his job, did a much better job this past season of every aspect of the job, hence the reason his contract was extended. The biggest reasons WVU is at a disadvantage in recruiting to the three schools you mentioned are a lack of in state talent, and playing in a league with the closest team 1000 miles away, not how warm the coaches seat is......

Coaches recruit poor classes from the hot seat. That is fact.

Dana did nothing different last year than he had the previous three years... he simply played an easier schedule. Funny how that works. No trouble getting to that 9 win mark of excellence when you don't play many ranked teams or teams with winning records.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think it does not play into it, YOU are the fool. You think the Ohio, WVa, and PA kids being recruited to play at WVU, sPitt, PSU, OSU, even the MAC schools are not being told "here your mom and dad can come to most of your games, at WVU they can come to the home games".....

Yet Florida remains a hotbed for our recruits.

2007 this team had 75 players from WV or a state bordering WV
2016 this team had 68 players from WV or a state bordering WV

I tell you what those guys are killing us with the "parents can't see you play" tactic......

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isreal Makes His Choice

He must have thought the same thing I did watching Chuggs in the Sprang game. Add another Free agent to the list.