• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Canucks using some grey areas of the CBA

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was more backstroke than backpedal when the question was asked.

So, your roster Wednesday is not your lineup Saturday?

Then Alain Vigneault put on his wry smile, and began a kind of backward shoulder shrug with his arms extended at the elbows and hands paddling the air like a juggler.

The Vancouver Canuck coach was either channeling Barney-The-Dinosaur or doing the gopher dance from Caddyshack. Or he was confirming without saying so.

The 23-man roster the Canucks must declare Wednesday for the National Hockey League will not necessarily include the full 20-man lineup that Vancouver uses Saturday in its season-opener against the Los Angeles Kings.

The Canucks will be going into the greyest, most obscure sub-passages of the Collective Bargaining Agreement to limbo under the NHL's $59.4-million-US salary cap.

It will be an epic contortion for a franchise that knows its way around the CBA well enough that goalie Roberto Luongo is being paid $10 million this season but counting only $5.33-million against the cap.

Luongo will be on both the initial roster and opening-night lineup. But backup goalie Cory Schneider may not.

Vancouver still has in camp rookie third-string netminder Eddie Lack and centre prospect Cody Hodgson, who practised Monday at UBC as the eighth defenceman and certainly has not been one of the best 25 players since the Canucks' opened training camp 18 days ago.

It's believed they're still here, however briefly, so the Canucks can manipulate their cap number and possibly take advantage of a CBA provision pertaining to bonuses. Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, the numbers guru who oversees the team's cap, won't say why Hodgson and Lack are here or how Vancouver will meet the $59.4-million threshold.

And given the NHL's renewed interest in "the spirit of the CBA," sparked by the Ilya Kovalchuk contract fiasco, the Canucks' secrecy is understandable.

Before Vigneault's unspoken answer to the cap-related question, he gave this oral one: "Certain things need to happen; I'll let you figure that one out."

Vigneault has been taking tutorials from Gilman on salary-cap implications for a team that, as of Monday, remained more than $1.8-million over the cap even after the $2.4-million waiver dump of Shane O'Brien and Darcy Hordichuk.

"I've had a crash course the last couple of days," Vigneault admitted. "I don't think I can explain it, but I understand it."

If he understands all facets of the salary cap, Vigneault is ahead of every reporter in hockey and – truth be told – some NHL general managers.

As for the Canucks, this is what we know: Hodgson will not be playing defence this season; the 13th forward will be either Jeff Tambellini or Peter Schaefer, who hasn't yet a contract; and Lack isn't playing goal anytime soon, although backup Schneider, who is not subject to waivers, may have to make a whirlwind trip to minor-league Manitoba for a day. Lack and Hodgson also do not require waivers to shuffle between the NHL and American League.

Importantly, it seems almost impossible the Canucks will be able to fully maximize CBA injury relief by squeezing both Sami Salo ($3.5 million) and Alex Burrows ($2 million) onto their "active" 23-man roster for the first day of the season.

A year ago, the Canucks opened in Calgary with injured players Mathieu Schneider and Pavol Demitra on their roster, then immediately reclassified them as long-term injured to harvest some cap savings. This week, the Canucks will probably have to start the season with either Salo or Burrows on LTI, which means Vancouver will be walking a salary-cap tightrope without much of a safety net.

Two seasons ago, the Flames flopped spectacularly from the high wire when general manager Darryl Sutter managed his salary cap so that his coach could dress only 15 skaters in the game that cost Calgary first place. Naturally, Sutter fired the coach, Mike Keenan.

The Flames' crash is a cautionary tale for all teams.

"The salary cap doesn't determine our roster," Gilman insisted Monday. "The performance of the players determines our roster. It's incumbent upon us to make the numbers work once the players have done their job. It falls into the category of problems you don't mind having."

And yet, many decisions are made with the salary cap in mind. True, Shane O'Brien was beaten fair and square by Andrew Alberts for the sixth defenceman spot. But O'Brien is still considerably better than seventh man Aaron Rome. Rome costs $750,000, O'Brien $1.6 million. Who was cut?

"I'm aware of the salary-cap situation," defenceman Kevin Bieksa, whose $3.75-million cap hit endangered him, said after Monday's practice. "I know we're over. I had an idea what they were going to do about it, but I didn't really care, plain and simple. If you ask me where I think guys fit into the salary cap, I don't care. It's not my job. I figured if they wanted me on this team, they'd have me on this team regardless. For some reason, I'm still here and I'm happy to be here."

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Might get a fine?? or lose a draft pick??? Bottomfeederman will be very angry....

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two seasons ago, the Flames flopped spectacularly from the high wire when general manager Darryl Sutter managed his salary cap so that his coach could dress only 15 skaters in the game that cost Calgary first place. Naturally, Sutter fired the coach, Mike Keenan.

The Flames' crash is a cautionary tale for all teams.

I hate it when reporters only provide half of the information - It was a combination of being close to the cap coupled with a slew of injuries in the last two weeks of the season (i.e. past game 72). As you guys know, LTIR means that a guy will be out of the lineup for at least 10 games, well as soon as you've played game 73, LTIR is no longer available. So if Regehr and Sarich get injured a couple of games earlier, there is no problem, as the Flames invoke LTIR and there are no cap problems.

Any team that close to the cap with bad luck regarding injuries past game 72 would have faced the same issues.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever they do should be interesting ... also interesting to see how closely the league examines what they do

Ray Ferraro said this morning he has heard the plan the Devils have in place to get under the cap on Wednesday by $50

something tells me both teams will get the critical eye treatment from the NHL

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you think Lou Lamoriello and Mike G. are conferring?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you think Lou Lamoriello and Mike G. are conferring?

lol no ... but i think they are two of the handful of teams that play the system, so to speak

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I bet Gillman can quote the CBA chapter and verse

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Gillman can quote the CBA chapter and verse

and the New jersey cap numbers guy working for Lou is the one who wrote the CBA when he worked for the league

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever they do should be interesting ... also interesting to see how closely the league examines what they do

Ray Ferraro said this morning he has heard the plan the Devils have in place to get under the cap on Wednesday by $50

something tells me both teams will get the critical eye treatment from the NHL

As usual Chicken Parm has it wrong...we'll be under by a whipping $84,000 with Salvador and Salmela on IR

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Luongo will make 10 million but only count 5.33?? That's just wrong in so many ways.

this one is a little different that the Kovalchuk thing though.

the $10mill is an aberration (consider it a signing bonus?)
his salary for the next 7 years after this one is $6.7 mill.
that's what I consider the baseline.