• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cano On Van Slyke...With Miller Insight

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson Cano has finally fired back at Andy Van Slyke for pointed comments the former Mariners coach made last November about Seattle's $240 million second baseman.

Talking to 710 ESPN Seattle's "Brock and Salk" in an interview that will air Friday morning, Cano shared a telling story about a discussion he had with Van Slyke last season regarding shortstop Brad Miller.

Related: Latest news, photos, video and more from Mariners spring training

"I want to say one thing that I never say. There's one time I had this conversation with Brad Miller," said Cano. "I say, 'Hey, Miller, I think you can be a leadoff (hitter) and sometimes you can help us if you're hitting second if you could take a pitch for us hitting behind you ... We can see what was the movement was on that pitch."

Two days later, Cano said he had the following exchange with Van Slyke:

"Andy came into my locker. 'Hey, I wanna talk to you.' I said, 'Oh, yeah, go ahead, Andy, what's up?' He was like, 'I'm gonna play the bad guy.' I said, 'Bad guy of what? What happened?' (Van Slyke said) 'I know you talked to Miller, but I mean, you know, he's a guy that you cannot say anything.' I said, 'I didn't say anything to him. I just said what is good for the team.' He said, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it, but when it comes to hitting don't talk to him.' I said, 'That's how you feel like it, perfect.' After that day..."

It's certainly curious that Van Slyke told Cano, a six-time All-Star with a career .307 batting average, to not give a young player hitting tips. It's also an interesting insight into the previous coaching staff's handling of Miller, who hit .258 in 2015 while converting into a utility player then was one of the first players traded in the offseason by new Seattle GM Jerry Dipoto.

On St. Louis' CBS Sports Radio 920 in November, Van Slyke blamed Cano and his below-average 2015 season for the firings of general manager Jack Zduriencik, manager Lloyd McClendon and other members of the coaching staff. He also called Cano, whose batting average dipped as low as .236 last June, "the single worst third-place everyday player I've ever seen, for the first half of a Major League Baseball season."

Cano, who underwent double sports hernia surgery in October to alleviate stomach ailments that plagued him in 2015, was surprised by Van Slyke's comments.

"We get along and I don't know what happened, but the thing is like I said I don't pay attention to his comment," Cano said.

Cano seems to be enjoying new manager Scott Servais' coaching staff in spring training, as Shannon Drayer wrote earlier this week.

The full interview with Cano on "Brock and Salk" will be available on the podcast page of 710Sports.com after it airs Friday.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go as high as 10% for how much I believe anything that Cano says about a tiff with member of the coaching staff. That's higher than the 3% I'd go for believing anything Van Slyke said.

Cano was atrocious at the beginning of the season, and deserved to be trashed for it, even if Van Slyke was exaggerating.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more amazed by the Miller comments (if you believe the Cano comments). I believe him because he didn't have to say anything because the subject was gone and berried at this point.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today at 9 AM, the full Cano interview (25 min) is going to play on the radio.

Sounds like it was a complete shit show under Lloyd, and it's not just Cano who's coming out and talking about it. Evidently, they threatened to send Montgomery down to AAA if he ever threw an inside fast ball again. WTF?

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano can thank Van jerk in his hall of fame speech. Its the only way he'll be remembered.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently, they threatened to send Montgomery down to AAA if he ever threw an inside fast ball again. WTF?

Seriously? I knew the were all idiots, but nice to hear examples of it.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on some of the things said about the previous coaching staff, it sounds worse than I thought it was. I am glad they are gone.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on some of the things said about the previous coaching staff, it sounds worse than I thought it was. I am glad they are gone.

My thoughts exactly which is hard to believe because I really thought the worst about them.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly which is hard to believe because I really thought the worst about them.

Yeah. I didn't think my opinion of the previous coaching staff could've been worse. Leave it to the Mariners to prove me wrong once again!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more amazed by the Miller comments (if you believe the Cano comments). I believe him because he didn't have to say anything because the subject was gone and berried at this point.

Agreed... Seems like Miller was a Diva... Glad he's gone if that's how it went down...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fudge the old staff, the average fan could've taken the 2014 team into the WC game. 1 game out yet Lloyd sabotages the entire month of September with his lineups and his pitching moves.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller didn't seem like a diva to me at all. I didn't see Cano's comments as being negative about Miller at all. What am I missing?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fudge the old staff, the average fan could've taken the 2014 team into the WC game. 1 game out yet Lloyd sabotages the entire month of September with his lineups and his pitching moves.
It was the miracle bullpen in 2014. Everybody in Seattle gets it now, for sure.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller didn't seem like a diva to me at all. I didn't see Cano's comments as being negative about Miller at all. What am I missing?
I didn't think Cano's comments about Miller were negative either. If anything was negative about Miller it was what Van Slyke said about Miller according to Cano.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the miracle bullpen in 2014. Everybody in Seattle gets it now, for sure.

For sure it was, that's why my contention is even a novice person could've got them in the WC game. There was zero reason for numerous players, most noticeably Hart and Smoak getting significant playing time when KC and Oakland were in free fall mold. I don't think they could've advanced because the staff was burned out but not only did he give up easy outs but forced Morrison into the OF which he didn't have the legs for and it cost them the WC with just the one game in Toronto when an average fielder gets that ball in Walker's game and they win 1-0 instead of losing.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think Cano's comments about Miller were negative either. If anything was negative about Miller it was what Van Slyke said about Miller according to Cano.

That was the point for me. Van Slyke pretty much said nobody was to talk with Miller about hitting which alleged that he was mentally fragile.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I read it was that Miller told Van Slyke that Cano was trying to give him some feedback/advice and Miller didn't like the fact that Cano was trying to do so and had asked Van Slyke to tell Cano to keep to himself...