• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can you imagine how fun a Naderer US Open clash would be?

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were so close to seeing Nadal Vs Federer at 2010 and 2011 US Open, but Djokovic eliminated Federer in a couple of thrilling 5-set semis.

Last year we thought Nadal and Federer would meet in the Quarters, but Robredo absolutely slaughtered Federer despite never having beaten Federer before anywhere. Federer showed some excellent form at Cincy and appeared certain to reach the US Open QF.

Surely 2014 is the year when we enjoy Naderer at the US Open. Federer and Djokovic have met twice on hardcourts in 2014, with Federer winning Dubai 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 and Djokovic returning the favor at Indian Wells 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(3).

Yes theoretically it will be even harder for Federer to beat Djokovic at the US Open than at Wimbledon. But Federer clearly has the chops to beat Djokvoic at the US Open, with Federer now looking extremely fit, and making less errors with the new racquet.

The most ideal outcome would be that Nadal and Djokovic meet in the US Open semi-final so Nadal experience at least a bit of physical exertion so Federer can have a chance. But, Nadal/Djokovic are in the top 2, so cannot meet until the Final. The danger therefore is that Djokovic will take too much energy from Federer in the semi-final. So maybe its best that Nadal and Federer meet in the semi-final.

Even if Nadal wins in straight sets, it will be a momentous occasion because we have waited so long to see Naderer at the North American slam, and the media will do a tremendous job of making it larger than life (which it already was in Australia this year) :clap:

Bs0a7HkCYAE6AJJ.jpg

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be like the AO, pretty straight forward and probably lacking much drama.

FED seems to have some poor serving sets in these matchups too (1st set of 2009 AO Finals; one of the sets in 2012 AO SF).

BTW, props to you for calling it Naderer. I thought I was the only one who (silently) called it that. Not sure why "Fedal" gained more popularity. Lol.

Also, even if Nadal has a tough SF, it won't affect him for the Finals. Players in their prime like he or Djokovic can recover. These guys are the best athletes in the world, and have played a compressed schedule before, and won.

They can play 3-4 hours one day, then play the next day, and win.

A tough SF affects FED more because he's older, but not someone younger like Nadal, Djokovic, or a few others.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is that blue court from? The AO?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to see is if Djokovic and Wawrinka meet, will it go 5 sets for a 4th straight time at a major? And if Wawrinka wins, he will boost his record to 2-3 against Djokovic at majors.

If it goes 5 sets for a 4th straight time, I wonder how many times a matchup has gone 5 sets at majors 4 straight times. Or how about 3 straight times even?

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is that blue court from? The AO?

Nadal posted that picture last week (on facebook/twitter), because he resumed training.
Its also a way of announcing that he's gone back to sleeveless (his 2014 US Open series outfit has been revealed by Nike, and he's wearing it in that photo).

Also, Nadal is unveiling a new service action at the 2014 US Open-
Rafael Nadal?s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open - International Business Times
Like he has been doing every year, Nadal is expected to modify his service mechanics to give him more power and precision needed for the hard-court joust.

Back in 2010, he drew some attention - especially from tennis experts - after he decided to tweak his services just days before the US Open championship.

Many pundits believed Nadal was putting himself in a tight spot with his untimely decision to change his service mechanics. However, two weeks later, he silenced all the critics by winning his first US Open crown and completing a career Grand Slam that year.

Of course, Nadal has already doubled his US Open tally with another masterful showing against Novak Djokovic last year, capping his epic return from seven-month absence due to a troublesome left knee.
Heading into a new challenge, Nadal posted a picture on his Twitter page, in which he was seen sporting a new serve for the hard-court season.

It has been an up-and-down season for the 14-time Grand Slam winner. Still, no one would dismiss that Nadal is going to be among the favorites to claim the US Open gem. And his chance has been enhanced once more with another servicing experiment.

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to see is if Djokovic and Wawrinka meet, will it go 5 sets for a 4th straight time at a major? And if Wawrinka wins, he will boost his record to 2-3 against Djokovic at majors.

If it goes 5 sets for a 4th straight time, I wonder how many times a matchup has gone 5 sets at majors 4 straight times. Or how about 3 straight times even?

I agree, Djokrinka is a good idea for the US Open semis :clap:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think fed would be lucky to get a set

would rather see him play just about anybody else at a major final outside of wimebledon.

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

would rather see him play just about anybody else at a major final outside of wimebledon.

It wouldn't be great for Federer but i think it would be the biggest event in tennis (since 2008 Wimbledon), just because they've never met at the US Open before :clap: so its for the best.
Another meeting at Wimbledon would also be really big for sure :clap:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were so close to seeing Nadal Vs Federer at 2010 and 2011 US Open, but Djokovic eliminated Federer in a couple of thrilling 5-set semis.

That's a selective way of looking at potential US Open final opportunities between Fed and Nadal.

Four years in a row where Nadal and Fed were #1 and #2 in the world, and Nadal couldn't even make a final to face Fed.

2005: Nadal was number 2 in the world, lost to James Blake in R3.
2006: Nadal was number 2 in the world, lost to Mikhail Youzhny in the QF.
2007: Nadal was number 2 in the world, lost to David Ferrer in R4.
2008: Nadal was number 1 in the world, lost to Andy Murray in the SF.

If Nadal had been good enough to make a US Open final any of those years, I think they would have made for good finals. He wasn't good enough, though.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be great for Federer but i think it would be the biggest event in tennis (since 2008 Wimbledon)...

It probably wouldn't even be a good match given that Fed would be 33, and hasn't made a hard court major final in almost 5 years.

The last time somebody 33 or older won a major was over 40 years ago.

I can think of a lot of other potential finals that would be more "fun" for actual tennis fans than Fed vs Rafa at the US Open. I guess for casual fans it would be something interesting to read about.

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep that's because Nadal peaked late on hardcourts, when in 2013 he became the first man ever to win Indian Wells, Canada, Cincy, US Open in a calendar year (and the first man since Roddick 2003 to win Canada, Cincy, US Open) :clap:

Yeah I'm not talking about the actual match being great, I'm saying the HYPE of a 2014 US Open Naderer match will be the biggest event since 2008 Wimbledon, because Americans have always wanted to see it :clap:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yep that's because Nadal peaked late on hardcourts, when in 2013 he became the first man ever to win Indian Wells, Canada, Cincy, US Open in a calendar year (and the first man since Roddick 2003 to win Canada, Cincy, US Open) :clap:

Yep. He's been in the final for the last 4 hard court majors he's played.

Compare that to Fed who hasn't made a hard court major final since 2010, and hasn't won one since 2008, and he'd be 33 if he managed to make another final.

Not sure how that adds up to the amazing tennis event you see in that head of yours.

Time to move on .

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying the match will be amazing, I'm saying the HYPE will be amazing :clap:
And tennis needs that hype in America.
There is no bigger tennis event in America than Nadal/Federer US Open, even if they are age 35 and 40.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying the match will be amazing, I'm saying the HYPE will be amazing :clap:
And tennis needs that hype in America.
There is no bigger tennis event in America than Nadal/Federer US Open, even if they are age 35 and 40.

Wow

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By my count, here are the matches on faster hard courts:

2006 Dubai: Nadal 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
2006 TF: Federer 6-4, 7-5
2007 TF: Federer 6-4, 6-1
2010 TF: Federer 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2011 TF: Federer 6-3, 6-0
2013 Cincy: Nadal 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
2013 TF: Nadal 7-5, 6-3

Outside of 2013, Federer's worst year since 2002, he's dominated. I like his chances at the US Open if they played. Fed is playing a lot better than he did last year.

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Wow! 2006 Nadal beat Federer at Dubai? That's insane :omg:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my count, here are the matches on faster hard courts:

2006 Dubai: Nadal 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
2006 TF: Federer 6-4, 7-5
2007 TF: Federer 6-4, 6-1
2010 TF: Federer 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2011 TF: Federer 6-3, 6-0
2013 Cincy: Nadal 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
2013 TF: Nadal 7-5, 6-3

Outside of 2013, Federer's worst year since 2002, he's dominated. I like his chances at the US Open if they played. Fed is playing a lot better than he did last year.
Best of five dealing with backhands up at his ears is a different ballgame. this final will never happen, so it doesn't matter what silliness you believe

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the AO surface compared to speed, since they switched to Plexicuson in 2008?

I don't think it's that slow, I think Rebound Ace was slower?

I don't think the AO and USO are very different in terms of speed?

Also, sometimes it's hard to compare speeds at the USO, because the wind is a factor. It can slow things.

Would be nice if there was data such as average ball speed per tourney, or something.

It's generally believed that the USO is the fastest, but I'm thinking after taking into account wind, the play might not be too far off than the average speeds at the AO.

Here's what wiki says about the USO Surface and AO Surface, it doesn't make a declarative statement:

+++++++++++++++

Tennis court - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hard courts are made of uniform rigid material, offering greater consistency of bounce than other outdoor surfaces.[8] Hard courts can vary in speed, although they are faster than clay but not as fast as grass courts. The quantity of sand added to the paint can greatly affect the rate at which the ball slows down.[9] Hard courts are generally more equalizing than clay or grass in terms of playing style, although they favor harder-hitting baseliners and all-court styles with the current equipment. The US Open is played on an acrylic hard court, while the Australian Open is played on a synthetic hard court. The main difference between a synthetic hard court and a true hard court surface is the level of hardness. When the ball bounces on this surface it is faster than all other surfaces if there is not much sand in the top paint. The amount of sand used in the top paint and the size of the sand also determines the speed – more sand means less speed and larger sand particles will slow the speed of play. The amount of friction can also be altered and more friction will produce a clay court effect, where topspin is magnified. The extra grip and friction will resist the sliding effect of the ball and the resistance will force the ball to change its rotation.
+++++++++++++++

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of five dealing with backhands up at his ears is a different ballgame. this final will never happen, so it doesn't matter what silliness you believe

I agree, the best of 5 is what hurts FED's chances a lot in this matchup.