• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

By the Numbers

patrickjc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why are the Sharks playing mediocre hockey (IMHO, of course). Let's look at the numbers.

So far this season, as a team, they are -72 in the plus/minus category. Last season they finished at a +145. That is a shocking difference. The "big 3" are a combined -34 on the season. Looking at the league points leaders the Sharks do not have anybody in the top 20. Not even one of the "big 3" can crack the top 20.

I haven't researched it, but I would be willing to bet that they are near the top when it comes to surrendering third period leads. It is so frustrating when they get a two goal lead. I say to myself --- well, here comes another OT or shootout loss. They just seem to fold up their tents and head for the locker room when they get a lead, especially a two goal lead.

Goaltending has been ok, and is certainly not the problem. But, it isn't solid enough to carry them in the playoffs if they make it. If the players other than Clowe, and Clouture, Murray, and one or two others, came to play every night, the Sharks could have a chance to go at least into the second round.

Sorry for the long post, but I am just another frustrated fan.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roster subtractions without quality replacements...
Lose Blake, then have a full season with Wallin (how many pts did blake have?)
Lose Malhotra, add Mayers
Lose Nabakov & demote Greiss, add Nitty & a parking cone...

Why Thornton, Marleau & Heatly arent scoring, thats anyones guess. Seto has also slumped all season which doesnt help.

The lone bright spot is Logan. The team has all the firepower on paper to be the top scoring club in the NHL with the big 3, clowe, pavs, seto & couture. Why only 3 of them have played decent is beyond me, except that the D cant make breakout passes...

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau stopped because he got a fat new contract. Some nights he is completely invisible. Doesn't do anything bad (like Heatley does), but nothing good either. Just floats around.

One thing about Thornton is teams don't back off of him anymore when he is to the side or the back of the net. Seems to me he is getting more pressure now, and less freedom to make the pass like he used to do.

The minus numbers maybe have alot to do with the crappy defense that can no longer cover up the poor back checking of the big 3. I don't know.

And they are getting older and slower. Can't keep up with the speed of the league. This is a very slow team overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

patrickjc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think that you nailed a lot of the problems. Marleau is invisible a lot of the time. I can't count the number of times I have been watching a game, and in the 3rd period I am wondering if Marleau is even playing tonight. Hadn't heard his name mentioned. With his speed, when he wants to play he can be a big offensive force. Sadly, those times are few and far between.

Thornton is really getting a lot more pressure. It seems in the past, opponents would give him a lot of room, especially when he was on the sideboards. Now, they pressure him as soon as he gets the puck. Result -- lots of turnovers or errant passes.

Heatley has been the biggest problem of the "big 3". As you said, he makes a lot of mistakes, loses battles for the puck almost every time, and seems to be playing at half speed.

I have always thought (and still do) that the Sharks will make the playoffs this year. But, I am growing less confiident with each passing game. If they were to lose Clowe, or Couture for an extended length of time they would really be in trouble.

Patrick

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that you nailed a lot of the problems. Marleau is invisible a lot of the time. I can't count the number of times I have been watching a game, and in the 3rd period I am wondering if Marleau is even playing tonight. Hadn't heard his name mentioned. With his speed, when he wants to play he can be a big offensive force. Sadly, those times are few and far between.

Thornton is really getting a lot more pressure. It seems in the past, opponents would give him a lot of room, especially when he was on the sideboards. Now, they pressure him as soon as he gets the puck. Result -- lots of turnovers or errant passes.

Heatley has been the biggest problem of the "big 3". As you said, he makes a lot of mistakes, loses battles for the puck almost every time, and seems to be playing at half speed.

I have always thought (and still do) that the Sharks will make the playoffs this year. But, I am growing less confiident with each passing game. If they were to lose Clowe, or Couture for an extended length of time they would really be in trouble.

Patrick

He's definitely been the biggest problem out of the "Big 3". He only cares about the offensive zone and puts little effort into the backcheck. He's a one-dimensional player who's completely useless if he's not putting up the goals and assists.