• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buying Stock in Howard and Offense?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Howard at QB, WVU Offense a Strong Buy in '16 - WVU Athletics

I know... I know... Jedd is just a WVU homer...

Interesting points from Jedd...

Howard has passed for 3,974 yards and 34 touchdowns with just 14 interceptions in his first 17 college appearances, or 859 yards more than Harris passed for in his first two seasons encompassing 24 games (all starts), 902 yards more than Smith passed for in his first two seasons encompassing 18 games, and 1,157 yards more than Bulger passed for in his first two years, which comprised 18 games as well.

Howard’s 34 touchdown passes were nine more than Smith threw during the same span, 13 more than Sherwood threw during the same point in his career and 17 more than Bulger tossed during the same time period.

“After those three phases you are going to see tremendous growth at that position,” Drenning admitted. “Not only did you have the maturation process with Skyler, but you also had Dana as a play caller learning and understanding how best to utilize Skyler’s skill set. That’s why the 2007 Pat White was far more lethal than the 2006 Pat White, or the 2008 Pat White playing in a brand new system, because he had two full years in Rich’s (Rodriguez) offense.”

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Howard at QB, WVU Offense a Strong Buy in '16 - WVU Athletics

I know... I know... Jedd is just a WVU homer...

Interesting points from Jedd...

Howard has passed for 3,974 yards and 34 touchdowns with just 14 interceptions in his first 17 college appearances, or 859 yards more than Harris passed for in his first two seasons encompassing 24 games (all starts), 902 yards more than Smith passed for in his first two seasons encompassing 18 games, and 1,157 yards more than Bulger passed for in his first two years, which comprised 18 games as well.

Howard’s 34 touchdown passes were nine more than Smith threw during the same span, 13 more than Sherwood threw during the same point in his career and 17 more than Bulger tossed during the same time period.

“After those three phases you are going to see tremendous growth at that position,” Drenning admitted. “Not only did you have the maturation process with Skyler, but you also had Dana as a play caller learning and understanding how best to utilize Skyler’s skill set. That’s why the 2007 Pat White was far more lethal than the 2006 Pat White, or the 2008 Pat White playing in a brand new system, because he had two full years in Rich’s (Rodriguez) offense.”

I think its fair to say he should be more efficient with the ball, if in fact Dana really did fall in love with pounding the ball last year and it will continue for this season...certainly takes the pressure off of Howard to shoulder the game and it obviously creates more favorable coverage's s down field as we witnessed last year..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Dana understands how to get the best production from the talent at hand. Going power is an attitude. The boys up front have to be nasty, and it appears they got that back.

The problem with traditional Air Raid was the zone blocking schemes required. In order for the defensive front 7 not to get a read, the OL has to give the same look. Our guys simply did not execute zone pass blocking well enough to protect our QB in the pocket.

After the '14 season, it had to obvious to Dana his OL needed to go further into Crook's forte. He allowed Crook to teach his boys power. Gap blocking schemes can bridge the gap for our boys, and last year... they proved quite proficient at establishing the LOS. WVU still ran inside zone and outside zone, and Smallwood was definitely more comfortable running in this scheme.

Shell is from a Power I background, and his dancing feet at the LOS cost him dearly in RPC. I think he will remain a solid contributor, and if Dana continues to move more power... Could have a big senior season.

Bringing Wickline on board should help shore up the outside of the line in terms of both pass pro and run blocking. If WVU can seal the edge, we might see more Slaton... Devine kind of outside cutbacks going to the house this fall.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season Howard completed 58% of his first half passes but just 50% in the 2nd half. 4th quarter he completed 41% with 3 TD and 4 INT.

He needs to improve in the clutch

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season Howard completed 58% of his first half passes but just 50% in the 2nd half. 4th quarter he completed 41% with 3 TD and 4 INT.

He needs to improve in the clutch

He was playing from behind is a a lot of those games.likely contributed to the 4th quarter numbers