• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buying BBQ - Need Advice

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey All,

Recently bought a condo which has a natural gas outlet to the deck. Looking to buy a grill for the first time. I like Weber (parents have used forever) and the quality is generally great.

That said, any recommendations? I don't expect crazy crowds but would like one that can fit 10 burgers and 5 hot dogs or something on without squeezing everything in. Also, I wouldn't mind grilling in like December/January and LIVE IN CHICAGO.

The reason I bold that is I've read that if you have a pretty pedestrian grill or go for cheap it will not be sufficient enough to grill or it'll take forever to cook anything.

I read that BTUs aren't everything. Depends on the racks, and output per inch as well.... and that counting all burners for BTU output is just a selling point for retailers looking to scream, "IT'S POWERFUL CAUSE THIS # IS HIGH!"

Any thoughts?

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good grill for what you are describing. I have had a Summit series for 8 years with no problems. This is the exact same just a little smaller.
Genesis® E-330™
2013_04_11_01_01_41_Genesis_E330.jpg

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to recommend a Vermont Castings Grill and provide a link. The one I had lasted 12 years.

Looks like they quit making them though.

Weber Charcoal is the route I've gone now, much better flavor than gas.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Pretty good grill for what you are describing. I have had a Summit series for 8 years with no problems. This is the exact same just a little smaller.
Genesis® E-330™

Anything Weber is a good choice. I use a Weber kettle for most grilling, but do own gas as well.
I made the mistake of not going Weber on the gas and regret it. Next one I will for sure.

Reactions: 006

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything Weber is a good choice. I use a Weber kettle for most grilling, but do own gas as well.
I made the mistake of not going Weber on the gas and regret it. Next one I will for sure.
I still rock my weber kettle on a regular basis, there she is in the background.......
BOB-PHOTOS-08-33.jpg

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Genesis® E-330™

I have this exact grill in copper. It works great. No issues whatsoever. Plus it has a side burner, so if my Asian wife wants to cook something nasty, she can do it outside without stinking up the house for three days afterward.

Reactions: 006

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
That's what I just bought..lol
Sucks to clean the surface, and a burner will go out during cooking. It's my first infrred so maybe I'n just used to the charcoal??

I guess it's a bit different than that one, It has temp guage for each burner. But it is Char Broil Infrared.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
My spelling might need an overhaul tonight...

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Genesis® E-330™
I used to have something similar. If you plan on moving at some point that thing is likely to break.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
much better flavor than gas.

:nono:

I'd been on charcoal for the past 2 years and a couple of months ago finally went back to gas. I do not find any truth to the claims that charcoal is so much better than gas.

I'm absolutely thrilled to be back on gas.

I'm no expert chef or anything close to that, and some people around here swear by charcoal. But I have personally found it's more about heat control than heat source.

It's the same story on both. When I have poor heat control, I have poor results. Controlling the heat on them is the exact opposite in method, but when you do it right, that's all that matters on either.

Get a good quality piece of meat, have good temperature control and there is no difference.

I think steakhouses are the best evidence. Highest Quality meat, with perfect temperatures for the thickness of their meat and it's all cooked on gas.

As someone who grills basically every day year round, the convenience of gas and the lower price make it much more preferred for me.

To each their own, I've cooked great food on both and can't tell a difference in taste.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I just bought..lol
Sucks to clean the surface, and a burner will go out during cooking. It's my first infrred so maybe I'n just used to the charcoal??

I've been looking at those, but don't know shit about them or anyone who has even bought one.

Does that mean burner goes out for temperature control, or just goes out randomly?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nono:

I'd been on charcoal for the past 2 years and a couple of months ago finally went back to gas. I do not find any truth to the claims that charcoal is so much better than gas.

I'm absolutely thrilled to be back on gas.

I'm no expert chef or anything close to that, and some people around here swear by charcoal. But I have personally found it's more about heat control than heat source.

It's the same story on both. When I have poor heat control, I have poor results. Controlling the heat on them is the exact opposite in method, but when you do it right, that's all that matters on either.

Get a good quality piece of meat, have good temperature control and there is no difference.

I think steakhouses are the best evidence. Highest Quality meat, with perfect temperatures for the thickness of their meat and it's all cooked on gas.

As someone who grills basically every day year round, the convenience of gas and the lower price make it much more preferred for me.

To each their own, I've cooked great food on both and can't tell a difference in taste.

If you have better luck on gas I am honestly glad for you.
I had gas for a decade and a half and on some NICE gas grills.
I can taste a difference and yes, temperature control requires much more patience.
Cut of meat, quality of meat is the most important.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland Grills are the shit, but you won't be happy if you cook steaks. Weber's have always been good to me. They will last forever if you keep em clean and covered, and if something does break then there are plenty of parts.

You can spend $150 every 3 years on a grill, or $400 on a weber that will last for 20.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have better luck on gas I am honestly glad for you.
I had gas for a decade and a half and on some NICE gas grills.
I can taste a difference and yes, temperature control requires much more patience.
Cut of meat, quality of meat is the most important.

If you have a cheap gas grill then you certainly can taste it. If you have a well run gas grill then you don't get the "sooty" taste. Keep the burners clean and the mix screen clean and you will keep a clean blue flame that provides heat and no odd taste.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so hard to find a high quality grill with out any bells or whistles anymore. I don't need a side stove or crap like that. Just a grill made of high quality materials that will last a long time. Everytime I walk by the grills at home depot I just want to punch a baby

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so hard to find a high quality grill with out any bells or whistles anymore. I don't need a side stove or crap like that. Just a grill made of high quality materials that will last a long time. Everytime I walk by the grills at home depot I just want to punch a baby

For the most part I agree, but I love the hell out of a side grill. It's nice to be able to take a cast iron pan outside and fry up bacon or whatever and not have the house smell like grease for 3 days :)

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would suggest getting a grill with the infared side burner. Puts a good char on steaks and works fast for burning peppers.