• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buster Posey

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
I was honestly afraid he was going to play out the season then sign with the Dodgers for a record amount of money.

The thought of Buster in a Dodger uniform would be unconscionable, nightmarish.

UGH!!!!
Bannish the thought.....

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was honestly afraid he was going to play out the season then sign with the Dodgers for a record amount of money.

The thought of Buster in a Dodger uniform would be unconscionable, nightmarish.

That won't happen now, but if it did, I would never watch a baseball game again.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That won't happen now, but if it did, I would never watch a baseball game again.

That would have been a cruel, cruel joke. I was actually pretty terrified Cainer was going to the Dodgers, and that was BEFORE their insane spending sprees (plural).

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a little worried about the years in the contract, but in todays financial world, I think you have to make this deal to lock him up. He owns the clubhouse.

We had to do it. No doubt. If we let him hit free agency, the Dodgers or some team flush with cash from a new mega-TV deal (possibly the Cubs) would have signed him for $30 million/year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before signing this contract, Buster wouldn't have become a free agent before the 2017 season (well, unless the Giants released him). There's no way he would have been a Dodger in 2014.

True. It's a great deal for both sides. Posey gets his mega millions without waiting 4 more years and risking injury, while the Giants get to lock up their MVP. If baseball ever got rid of the 6-yr service time requirement before hitting Free Agency, that would really be the death of any competitive. It's the only leverage a team has in keeping their young star players. Otherwise, only the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers would be winning championships.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the Angels, who have started spending out the ass in the recent past - they're up to about $150M in salary this year. Still not the Yankees, but not that far behind the Sox.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Cot's, Buster has these bonuses in his contract :

award bonuses: $0.1M each for MVP, WS MVP. $75,000 for LCS MVP. $50,000 each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, All-Star election. $25,000 for All-Star selection

A while back (?8 years maybe?) I remember reading that the awards committees had announced that they would stop giving guys awards who had bonuses for awards written into their contract. They were going to hold off implementing it for 5 or 6 years, until the current crop of contracts expired, but then never give an award to a guy that got a bonus for it.

Does anybody else remember this? What happened? Did they just quietly change their minds?

Well, I found this article : Starting in 2013, players banned for awards if they have bonus clauses - MLB - ESPN

Which says (among other stuff) :
Baseball players no longer would receive bonuses for winning the Most Valuable Player, Cy Young or rookie awards bestowed by the Baseball Writers' Association of America under a rule passed Wednesday.

Starting in 2013, players with such bonus clauses in their contracts will be banned from receiving votes for any BBWAA awards. The lag time is designed to give agents and teams an opportunity to adapt to the ban; only a handful of players are already under contract for 2013.

Hall of Fame voting is not affected, nor are manager of the year or non-BBWAA awards such as the World Series MVP or Gold Glove.

So they planned on doing it 6 years ago, does anybody know if they changed their minds? (The article, above, was written in 2007 - I can't find anything recent about the change.) If the rule is still in effect, Buster won't ever get a single NL MVP vote again.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I found this article : Starting in 2013, players banned for awards if they have bonus clauses - MLB - ESPN

Which says (among other stuff) :
Baseball players no longer would receive bonuses for winning the Most Valuable Player, Cy Young or rookie awards bestowed by the Baseball Writers' Association of America under a rule passed Wednesday.

Starting in 2013, players with such bonus clauses in their contracts will be banned from receiving votes for any BBWAA awards. The lag time is designed to give agents and teams an opportunity to adapt to the ban; only a handful of players are already under contract for 2013.

Hall of Fame voting is not affected, nor are manager of the year or non-BBWAA awards such as the World Series MVP or Gold Glove.

So they planned on doing it 6 years ago, does anybody know if they changed their minds? (The article, above, was written in 2007 - I can't find anything recent about the change.) If the rule is still in effect, Buster won't ever get a single NL MVP vote again.

I can't imagine the Giants or Posey's agent going through with that unless A) they (BBWA) ended up changing their minds or B) there was a serious lack of awareness on the Giants and Posey's agent's part.

I looked at many recent big-deals signed after this article; don't see much of anything that would indicate teams are reluctant to give out award bonuses. Even this year, Posey, Hamilton, Grienkie all got award bonuses in their contracts. I'm thinking that they changed their minds or else guys that haven't signed their big contracts yet are going to be winning all the awards. Granted, those awards may be Trout's, Harpers and Strasburg's to lose.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had to do it. No doubt. If we let him hit free agency, the Dodgers or some team flush with cash from a new mega-TV deal (possibly the Cubs) would have signed him for $30 million/year.

I know the Doyers are getting mega-stimulus-bucks for their TV deal, but can we be that far behind, and just don't talk about it?

Anyone have figures on that?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants signed a TV contract several years ago, before the BIG jump in TV prices. I think it was for 30 years. BUT, they also got part ownership of CSN-BA (30%, IIRC) when they signed their TV deal with CSN-BA. So they are pulling in big bucks already. I don't know if the ownership group is getting the $$$ (30% of profits), or it goes through the team first. Also, if it goes thru the Giants team, since the 30% ownership of CSN-BA isn't "baseball revenue" per-se, there may be an exception to having to share the money with MLB. IIRC, the Giants are getting a low fee from CSN-BA for the Giants broadcasts, but they ALSO got partial ownership of the channel. The former would be subject to MLB revenue sharing rules, but the latter quite possibly doesn't, depending on how it was structured or worded.

I could also be mis-remembering, or have some stuff right and other stuff wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants signed a TV contract several years ago, before the BIG jump in TV prices. I think it was for 30 years. BUT, they also got part ownership of CSN-BA (30%, IIRC) when they signed their TV deal with CSN-BA. So they are pulling in big bucks already. I don't know if the ownership group is getting the $$$ (30% of profits), or it goes through the team first. Also, if it goes thru the Giants team, since the 30% ownership of CSN-BA isn't "baseball revenue" per-se, there may be an exception to having to share the money with MLB. IIRC, the Giants are getting a low fee from CSN-BA for the Giants broadcasts, but they ALSO got partial ownership of the channel. The former would be subject to MLB revenue sharing rules, but the latter quite possibly doesn't, depending on how it was structured or worded.

I could also be mis-remembering, or have some stuff right and other stuff wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. ;)

IIRC, Larry Baer cut his teeth as a TV exec, so hopefully this deal turns out to be a good one for the Giants.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our deal must be nothing compared to the Dodgers' TV deal or else more would be reported about it, and the fact that it is so long (30 years) makes me feel kinda worried as we sit by and see other teams like the Angels and especially the Dodgers get massive deals.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In 2008, the Giants signed a 25 year deal with CSNBA to get something in the range of 30-33% of revenue.

How the SF Giants? TV deal works | San Francisco Giants: The Splash | an SFGate.com blog

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick thoughts:

A lot of dough for a guy who might be playing a lot of 1st base in a few years.

Thrilled for the guy and for Giants fans. He'll be the face of the franchise for a very long time. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

First thing, excited that Posey will be a Giant for the foreseeable future (and possibly career). You're right though CC, that is a lot of dough for a Catcher who could move to 1st. Honestly, I still have a gut (no pun intended for Pablo, lol) feeling that Posey ends up at 3B. I have a feeling Pablo won't get the hint that conditioning is important enough until it's too late (or at least too late for a contract extension from the Giants).

Me too, great guy, great player, great leader. More importantly those blue Bums down the way can't steal him now. :D