• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buss and Kukchap Meets With Dumbtoni Today

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely NO reason to employ D'antoni at this point.

Either you see that or you don't. You guys can argue history and injuries......but the truth is plain as day to those of us that are not emotionally invested in the Lakers. D'antoni is a COMPLETE FAILURE.

His system is suspect. We all know he does not know the meaning of the word defense. And right now, in front of your very eyes, you see a Lakers team that has completely tuned him out. They are giving NO effort out there.

What's worse, is we ALL KNOW D'antoni has no plan, or way to reach his players, or solve the issues this team faces nightly. Good coaches make adjustments, try different things, to try to win. I don't see any of that in D'antoni.

If some of you honestly think this man can be the answer regardless of talent, I pity you and the losses you will endure before you figure out the obvious - this man is NOT the coach for the Lakers if they want to win.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't use the injury excuse to disguise the fact D'Antoni is a terrible coach for this team. Apart from Kobe, Pau and Nash, every player on this team had a clean bill of health at the start of the season. And one by one each and every player dropped like flies and got injured.

He plays no D, makes guys play in uncomfortable positions and refuses to play good players out of spite (Kaman, Earl Clarke).

There is NO excuse to how bad we're playing. Even the D-Fenders wouldn't have lost to the Clippers by 50 points.

So, the 3 most important players on the team were injured to start the season, the rest of the lineup drops like flies and that's D'Antoni's fault?

Seriously?!? Did TLF hack your account?:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give up. I'm beginning to understand why some posters have the opinion they do of some of my fellow Lakers fans.

You guys keep your opinions and I'll keep mine. I'm not saying D'Antoni is the answer and I'm not saying he isn't. I'm saying, give the guy a fair chance and see what he can do.

Done discussing D'Antoni.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give up. I'm beginning to understand why some posters have the opinion they do of some of my fellow Lakers fans.

You guys keep your opinions and I'll keep mine. I'm not saying D'Antoni is the answer and I'm not saying he isn't. I'm saying, give the guy a fair chance and see what he can do.

The problem with giving D'antoni another year is that no major athletes in their right mind will want to sign with the Lakers - that's the reason Howard left. If Phil Jackson had stayed - Howard would have stayed and mabe convinced Chris Paul to jump ship. Just saying. Why give a thief the chance to steal your last dollar?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan - I agree partly or even mostly that D'antoni has had a bad year and that no coach would have done better. What I am saying though is that the last time the Lakers had a really bad season was with Phil Jackson and the Lakers set up plays that were high risk for injuries. Atleast that's the way it seemed to me. D'antoni did the same thing. Gasol and Kobe should never have been to step up the pace of their speed period, but yet D'antoni asked them to do exactly that and turned the best inside the paint player into a non-effective peremiter player and took him completely out of his game. The Lakers triangle is the way they should have went to begin with. The truth is there might not be any coaches out there that are any better, but if one came up like Doc Rivers - I would fire D'antoni's as in a New York Minute. This Lakers team is not going to be competitive with him in charge.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the 3 most important players on the team were injured to start the season, the rest of the lineup drops like flies and that's D'Antoni's fault?

Seriously?!? Did TLF hack your account?:lol:

ShaqDaddy is my brother :lol:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is where you are failing.

You guys are THE LAKERS. Get you a coach YOU KNOW CAN WIN. Not one that might win, might not.

You don't "give a guy a chance" - GTFOH with that, this is the LAKERS. Teams with no legacy and no tradition hire guys like that......teams like my Mavs, we go out and roll the dice on a guy.

The Lakers hire PROVEN WINNERS, not chicken dinners.

Can you grasp this point? No rationalizing. Either you get it, or you don't.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where you are failing.

You guys are THE LAKERS. Get you a coach YOU KNOW CAN WIN. Not one that might win, might not.

You don't "give a guy a chance" - GTFOH with that, this is the LAKERS. Teams with no legacy and no tradition hire guys like that......teams like my Mavs, we go out and roll the dice on a guy.

The Lakers hire PROVEN WINNERS, not chicken dinners.

Can you grasp this point? No rationalizing. Either you get it, or you don't.

I disagree. This is exactly the time to give a guy a chance. The Lakers are, at best, 2 seasons away from contending and here, imo, is what needs to happen to pull it off that quickly:

1.) Kobe comes back and is very close to being the Kobe he was before the Achilles.
2.) Whoever they get in the draft is NBA ready and contributes from day 1.
3.) Pau Gasol re-signs at a lower rate and plays like he has been for the past several games.
4.) The Lakers sign a couple of solid young, but veteran free agents this FA period.
5.) The Lakers sign Kevin Love or another max FA in the next FA period.
6.) Everyone, especially Kobe and Pau, stays healthy.
7.) Whichever players are retained from the current roster continue to improve and contribute.
If all of the above happens, the Lakers will contend in 2 years. If more than 1 or 2 do not happen (depending on which one's) they are looking at 3-5 years to truly contend again.

That makes this the ideal time to give a guy a chance. Besides, as I pointed out in an earlier post, exactly who are the Lakers supposed to get that they KNOW will win? Not 1 of the names mentioned to replace D'Antoni has ever won a title.

Also, in the 80's, the Lakers gave a guy named Pat Riley a chance and as I recall, that turned out pretty well for them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan - I agree partly or even mostly that D'antoni has had a bad year and that no coach would have done better. What I am saying though is that the last time the Lakers had a really bad season was with Phil Jackson and the Lakers set up plays that were high risk for injuries. Atleast that's the way it seemed to me. D'antoni did the same thing. Gasol and Kobe should never have been to step up the pace of their speed period, but yet D'antoni asked them to do exactly that and turned the best inside the paint player into a non-effective peremiter player and took him completely out of his game. The Lakers triangle is the way they should have went to begin with. The truth is there might not be any coaches out there that are any better, but if one came up like Doc Rivers - I would fire D'antoni's as in a New York Minute. This Lakers team is not going to be competitive with him in charge.

Have you not watched any games or read anything I've posted. Kobe and Gasol were NOT asked "step up the pace of their speed". D'Antoni's offense is NOT "7 seconds or less". It's "move it or shoot it". It's basketball 101. One of the first things you learn about organized basketball. The ball moves faster than the man.

The only thing Kobe and Pau were asked to do differently is not stop the ball and go iso as much as they were used to. They were asked to shoot if the shots there or pass it if it isn't. In D'Antoni's offense, Pau and Kobe have the chance for less wear and tear because they aren't running iso's and having to spend a lot of time and energy trying to beat their defender off the dribble or back him down in the post.

And how exactly does a coach "set up plays that were high risk for injury"?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan - I am still pissed that they hired Dumbtoni instead of Phil Jackson - So it would really be tough for me to cut them slack - but consider this - The guy played Kobe 48 minutes - that was only one of his huge mistakes and was not smart

Prince™

Killa B
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know how he is still coaching us. He makes no effort to make changes defensively and these past few games we have leaked a ton of points. The clippers destroyed us, it was an embarrassment and disgrace to the franchise. Surely D'Antoni will not be back next season.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the points that I don't think can even be disputed about our current coach:

1) We are next to last in the NBA (29th) in defense ppg (108 ppg). The only team who is worse is Philly.
2) Last year we were ranked 22nd in defense - and that was even with Kobe, Gasol, Dwight, and MWP.
3) In New York he was ranked: 28th, 28th, and 28th in his first 3 years.
4) His cummulative record in New York was 139-173. His best season was 42-40.
5) His cummulative record in LA is 61-74.
6) He is personally at fault for Kobe's achilles injury.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buss s most important immediate decision is to get humble and make a deal this week to have Phil run that team. Letting him go to ny now? Really?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the points that I don't think can even be disputed about our current coach:

1) We are next to last in the NBA (29th) in defense ppg (108 ppg). The only team who is worse is Philly.
2) Last year we were ranked 22nd in defense - and that was even with Kobe, Gasol, Dwight, and MWP.
3) In New York he was ranked: 28th, 28th, and 28th in his first 3 years.
4) His cummulative record in New York was 139-173. His best season was 42-40.
5) His cummulative record in LA is 61-74.
6) He is personally at fault for Kobe's achilles injury.

1, 3, 4 and 5 can't be disputed outside of what he was given to work with. Since Patrick Ewing retired, what coach in New York has been successful? New York plays in the extremely weak Eastern Conference and has had their superstar player all season long, yet their record is only 2.5 games better than the Lakers.

2 is easily disputable. The Lakers had Dwight who wasn't even close to his normal self until after the all-star break. Pau has never been mistaken for Dwight or even Tyson Chandler defensively (that includes when Phil was the coach) and MWP and Kobe were older and no longer able to defend from the perimeter all the way to the paint anymore (which had already started happening when Phil was still the coach).

He is absolutely not at fault for Kobe's achille's. Doctors have said that it was a freak injury and could have just as easily happened stepping off a curb. The number of minutes he played had nothing to do with it. That's from the doctor who actually performed the surgery. You don't have to like D'Antoni, but don't make stuff up.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1, 3, 4 and 5 can't be disputed outside of what he was given to work with. Since Patrick Ewing retired, what coach in New York has been successful? New York plays in the extremely weak Eastern Conference and has had their superstar player all season long, yet their record is only 2.5 games better than the Lakers.

2 is easily disputable. The Lakers had Dwight who wasn't even close to his normal self until after the all-star break. Pau has never been mistaken for Dwight or even Tyson Chandler defensively (that includes when Phil was the coach) and MWP and Kobe were older and no longer able to defend from the perimeter all the way to the paint anymore (which had already started happening when Phil was still the coach).

He is absolutely not at fault for Kobe's achille's. Doctors have said that it was a freak injury and could have just as easily happened stepping off a curb. The number of minutes he played had nothing to do with it. That's from the doctor who actually performed the surgery. You don't have to like D'Antoni, but don't make stuff up.

I know you are being more fair here than many of us. I also know you are not saying dantoni is the answer. However, I am just saying I don't see it. He has never even been a bad defensive coach - he has been horrible. Even bad would be an improvement. Also, I think we may have to chose between him and Pau. I would much rather keep Pau, build through our lottery pick, and move forward with a younger coach.

DREAM SCENARIO:

1) Bring in Phil to a front office position and block NY.
2) Bring in Brian Shaw to coach. (Phil and Shaw is a dynamic that can work).
3) Re-sign Pau to a different contract.
4) Get Exum.
5) Get Love next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you are being more fair here than many of us. I also know you are not saying dantoni is the answer. However, I am just saying I don't see it. He has never even been a bad defensive coach - he has been horrible. Even bad would be an improvement. Also, I think we may have to chose between him and Pau. I would much rather keep Pau, build through our lottery pick, and move forward with a younger coach.

DREAM SCENARIO:

1) Bring in Phil to a front office position and block NY.
2) Bring in Brian Shaw to coach. (Phil and Shaw is a dynamic that can work).
3) Re-sign Pau to a different contract.
4) Get Exum.
5) Get Love next year.

I am 100% behind your dream scenario. The only one I would do differently (and I'm not necessarily saying long term) is I'd keep D'Antoni for a season or 2. My reason for doing this wouldn't be because I think D'Antoni is the answer, but rather because of the message it sends to potential future coaches.

First of all, Shaw is under contract with the Nuggets, so the Lakers really couldn't get him for another couple of seasons anyway unless Denver fires him. Prospective coaches know how the Lakers treated Phil on his way out. They may give the Lakers a little bit of a pass on that because folks know that Phil can be a bit difficult to deal with at times. However, Shaw was also treated rather poorly as well, so the Lakers would have to smooth things over with him.

The Lakers brought in Mike Brown and some of the coaches on Lakers fans "wish list" have stated that they don't feel he was given a fair shot. Now, if they fire D'Antoni, after less than 2 seasons, given what he's had to work with, that's going to look even worse. Especially when one considers that at least a couple of those coaches have actually praised the job D'Antoni has done (specifically that the team has pretty much played hard all season for him).

The Lakers have always been an attractive destination for coaches because they knew that they would be given the time and the resources to be successful. Firing D'Antoni after less than 2 seasons with what the Lakers have been through injury wise, sends the opposite message. It says that Lakers coaches are now scapegoats.

Bringing Phil into the fold may help with some of those fears and his name alone would certainly give the appearance of stability, which would help.

The Lakers have been pretty quiet during the "Phil to the Knicks" talk. I hope it's because they're working on their own deal with him.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is my opinion that when it's time to build a title contending roster, Dantoni won't be there

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were conditioned to run like that. What the heck do you think they were doing during the pre-season? That's when you get conditioned to run however you're going to run.

I'm beginning to think that you have never played an organized sport.

:agree: even though I don't like Dumbtoni, it's not like if his overworking them in practice. Their practices's are only 1 hour long, Mike Brown practices's use to be 3-4 hours long that's one of the main reason's players hate him.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rambis was set up for failure in Minnesota and never stood a chance - you're an idiot if you don't think Rambis is a good coach and honestly he couldn't do any worse. This season is lost for the Lakers anyway

So Rambis coaching the last 22 games of this season (like you suggested) WOULD NOT be setting him up for failure? He would stand a chance?

So the season is lost....... but Rambis should be appointed coach to see if he's a long term cure.

You're a giant dope.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yahoo:
So Rambis coaching the last 22 games of this season (like you suggested) WOULD NOT be setting him up for failure? He would stand a chance?

So the season is lost....... but Rambis should be appointed coach to see if he's a long term cure.

You're a giant dope.

He couldn't do any worse moron - and D'antoni has proven to everyone that he is one huge disaster. You're an idiot