• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burke at it again

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more like:

If you say no, I'm joking.

klyper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dash, I certainly agree that this is a joke he would even think of making such a request to these two guys. Another embarassment for us Leaf fans

I am still not convinced we gave up way too much for Kessel. I mean , its not as if the Bruins are going to land Hall

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Isn't that some sort of collusion/bullshit? There's got to be something in the CBA against doing that, and against trying to get a player to do that.

2. Shut up, Burke. You're ridiculous.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still not convinced we gave up way too much for Kessel. I mean , its not as if the Bruins are going to land Hall

klyp, welcome aboard and I love the sarcasm. Of course, the Oilers may take Hall (even though they appear to be leaning towards Seguin). Either way, the Bruins appear to be getting a quality player. If the Leafs struggle next season, the Bruins could end up with another high first round pick.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
2. Shut up, Burke. You're ridiculous.

+1. not sure why he would waste these kids' time when he's not picking until day two, and has nothing on his team (except maybe Schenn?) worth trading into the top 2 position.

klyper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I find it interesting how comments from posters in that web page article on Burke take shots at the Leafs cap issues?

Toronto does not really have cap issues like some teams do. Sure we got some overpaid players, the worst being having to pay Jeff FUCKING Finger 3.5 mil for the next two seasons. Other than that I'd say maybe Grabovski makes too much at 3.1 mil this year and Komisarek (5.5 mil) will be overpaid this year, but at least his salary goes down to 3.5 for the 11/12 and 12/13 seasion.

Given the right planning, we could be on the rebound. But as most know from my comments over the last two years, I've never had a whole lot of faith in Burke. I never wanted him here in the first place

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting how comments from posters in that web page article on Burke take shots at the Leafs cap issues?

Toronto does not really have cap issues like some teams do. Sure we got some overpaid players, the worst being having to pay Jeff FUCKING Finger 3.5 mil for the next two seasons. Other than that I'd say maybe Grabovski makes too much at 3.1 mil this year and Komisarek (5.5 mil) will be overpaid this year, but at least his salary goes down to 3.5 for the 11/12 and 12/13 seasion.

Given the right planning, we could be on the rebound. But as most know from my comments over the last two years, I've never had a whole lot of faith in Burke. I never wanted him here in the first place

just looking at NHL numbers 44.2 mill for 13 players next year as of today

the forwards under contract right now:
Kessel - Grabovski - Bozak - Orr - Stalberg - Sjostrom - Rosehill - Kaputi - Kadri

btw off topic - has Mike Van Ryn retired?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
klyp, welcome aboard and I love the sarcasm. Of course, the Oilers may take Hall (even though they appear to be leaning towards Seguin). Either way, the Bruins appear to be getting a quality player. If the Leafs struggle next season, the Bruins could end up with another high first round pick.

I won't be as cordial as you Dash. The Leafs gave up 2 lottery picks and a 2nd for Kessel. What was really amazing to me though is that a Leafs fan not even 2 months ago back on the swamp was trying to convince me it was a good trade. Giving up Hall or Seguin plus the second was already a severe overpayment for Kessel. But to give up another lottery pick next year. Ouch...

klyper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just looking at NHL numbers 14.2 mill for 13 players next year as of today

Kessel - Grabovski - Bozak - Orr - Stalberg - Sjostrom - Rosehill - Kaputi - Kadri

btw off topic - has Mike Van Ryn retired?

fixed........although I am guessing it was a typo on your part (44.2 and 14.2)

and not sure about Van Ryn......I am rretty sure he isn't even on the books for next season

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
fixed........although I am guessing it was a typo on your part (44.2 and 14.2)

and not sure about Van Ryn......I am rretty sure he isn't even on the books for next season

nhlnumbers.com Team Overview
bottom of the 10/11 salary column shows $44.208 mill for 13 players

their math may be a bit funky though (usually its pretty good). cap hits for Phaneuf ($2.4m) and Giguere ($2.2m) don't make sense.
Regardless, its roughly $33 million for 5 d-men, 1 goalie (Giggy) and 1 forward (Kessel)

klyper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I won't be as cordial as you Dash. The Leafs gave up 2 lottery picks and a 2nd for Kessel. What was really amazing to me though is that a Leafs fan not even 2 months ago back on the swamp was trying to convince me it was a good trade. Giving up Hall or Seguin plus the second was already a severe overpayment for Kessel. But to give up another lottery pick next year. Ouch...

With all due respect, for a Leaf fan to be so absolute and certain the Kessel-for-draft-picks was such a good deal is about as bad as you thinking the exact opposite and getting amazed as some of us who still think it COULD work out to be decent deal down the road. Fact is, it is draft picks involved with a young sophomore going the other way, so it will take AT LEAST 3 years or more before you can really make a call

I highly doubt Seguin will go first. Bruins are not going to get Hall

klyper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

their math may be a bit funky though (usually its pretty good). cap hits for Phaneuf ($2.4m) and Giguere ($2.2m) don't make sense.
Regardless, its roughly $33 million for 5 d-men, 1 goalie (Giggy) and 1 forward (Kessel)

OK I see now, you were lookin at 13 players. I was going on the specific 9 players you mentioned

From the data I look at, cap hit for Dion is 6.5 not 2.4

6 for Giguere not 2.2

49 mil for the top 13

We're at 54.6 for the 10/11 season. Team Salary goes down to 37 mil the season after but mainly because contracts for Kaberle and Giguere will be up. So the perfect scenario would be Gustavvson and Schenn coming into their own to replace those two and theres an extra 11 mil or so to spend, mind you Schenns contract will be up to

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

OK I see now, you were lookin at 13 players. I was going on the specific 9 players you mentioned

From the data I look at, cap hit for Dion is 6.5 not 2.4

6 for Giguere not 2.2

49 mil for the top 13

We're at 54.6 for the 10/11 season. Team Salary goes down to 37 mil the season after but mainly because contracts for Kaberle and Giguere will be up. So the perfect scenario would be Gustavvson and Schenn coming into their own to replace those two and theres an extra 11 mil or so to spend, mind you Schenns contract will be up to

close... :D
jstew originally quoted the $44.2m for the 13 players under contract for next season.
you suggested that might be a typo, and could be only $14.2 under contract (unless I'm reading that wrong... it occurs to me you could be talking about $ left to spend, while we are referring to $ committed)

In my calculations about the top 7 cap hits next year I manually corrected (approximately) the two with the math issues from the site already.

anyways, we're splitting hairs a bit. bottom line... Leafs don't have a ton of cap room to round out the roster for this year.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the Phaneuf and Giguere $'s you mention are the prorated cap hits for 09/10 (ie 71 days worth of 210's 6.5 million cap hit, 71 days worth of Jiggys 6 million cap hit)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
the Phaneuf and Giguere $'s you mention are the prorated cap hits for 09/10 (ie 71 days worth of 210's 6.5 million cap hit, 71 days worth of Jiggys 6 million cap hit)

ahhh - that makes sense.
that site's math is usually pretty solid.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id say nhl numbers is pretty accurate ... they dont have the lobsters extension posted so thats about 500K less for the leafs to spend

but going back to my point

44.2 mill for 13 players next year as of today

that means theyve got 14 mill to spend for at least 6 forwards - looks ugly - I dont know if it was howard berger, but I heard the Burke lovers are counting on their general fat head to get a first rounder for kaberle at the draft so that might help

/sidenote: Tyler Bozak is a 3.725 mill cap hit thanks to bonuses (bonus cushion lessens the blow though right?) and he put up numbers that looked more like Steve Bozek ... needless to say He'll have to start playing to his contract