• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bum Activated from DL

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this should actually happen within the week. His rehab start last night went great, and he is not expected to need more time.

2 questions...

1) What corresponding moves? I assume Slater gets moved to the 60-day, so that opens a 40-spot. But what about a rotation and 25-spot? Seeing as they skipped Cains last start, I think he is one removed from the rotation. So what happens with the bully? Osich, Crick and Okert can all be sent down. The "O"s are both lefties, but neither have been very effective this year. Crick has done well, but he is low-man on the bench.

2) Should he DH in SJ for a game or two?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boards or forums are a platform that have been in decline for some time now, It's really a shame because I tend to like the format and the exchange of information in some form of a 'thread' pattern. Like most here I've been on a few boards. Disney was a decent board until they started to change the format and the rules. Some of the later participants (IMHO) actually destroyed the board.The in-fighting was horrible at the end. RUNBOARD was a decent place for Giant fans to meet but they clearly had a 'class' structure to that forum. There were the 'mules' and everyone else. They did have some very good and knowledgeable posters. It just died out.

This was/is my favorite board. Not much in-fighting and very dedicated posters. I tend to just lurk around the board and read the posts. I'm not as 'statistical' as most of the posters here. Rarely will respond to those types of posts. Also don't follow the minors much either. Have enough problems trying to follow what the Giants themselves are doing!

I think we are losing posters simply because we are playing very poorly and there is nothing to really chat about other than 'trying to fix' what's broken. It's fun when you're contending. Not so much when you're 20 games under 500 at the ASB. Having a rather small amount of 'core posters' also creates another strange situation. With a limited amount of posters there is a limited amount of solutions offered and I'm pretty sure we are all not on the same page. As an example ... rebuild versus tweak .... very different approaches

'Losing' changes one's perspective on the season and how board members are viewed. I remember when we crucified NN((HWSNBN) because of the way he thought when we lost a game. Specifically one in CINN. Now we have some of the same posters talking (and supporting) the idea of tanking. Losing a 'game' is not losing a 'season' and there in lies the difference. We've been in a free fall since the 2016 ASB. Doesn't make for very pleasant conversation. Very little bright spots in the 2017 season (so far).

Just my 2 cents ..........

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this should actually happen within the week. His rehab start last night went great, and he is not expected to need more time.

2 questions...

1) What corresponding moves? I assume Slater gets moved to the 60-day, so that opens a 40-spot. But what about a rotation and 25-spot? Seeing as they skipped Cains last start, I think he is one removed from the rotation. So what happens with the bully? Osich, Crick and Okert can all be sent down. The "O"s are both lefties, but neither have been very effective this year. Crick has done well, but he is low-man on the bench.

2) Should he DH in SJ for a game or two?
Two answers . . .
1) I agree on the Slater to the 60 day and Cain to the bullpen. The team has gone with just one lefty in the bullpen before so I think that Okert is the most likely to get sent down. It would be easier if, for some reason, the Giants decided to demote Moore to the pen instead of Cain, making the need for Okert or Osich unnecessary. However, I see little chance that happens.

2) No. Bum hits better without batting practice. No need for rehab.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boards or forums are a platform that have been in decline for some time now, It's really a shame because I tend to like the format and the exchange of information in some form of a 'thread' pattern. Like most here I've been on a few boards. Disney was a decent board until they started to change the format and the rules. Some of the later participants (IMHO) actually destroyed the board.The in-fighting was horrible at the end. RUNBOARD was a decent place for Giant fans to meet but they clearly had a 'class' structure to that forum. There were the 'mules' and everyone else. They did have some very good and knowledgeable posters. It just died out.

This was/is my favorite board. Not much in-fighting and very dedicated posters. I tend to just lurk around the board and read the posts. I'm not as 'statistical' as most of the posters here. Rarely will respond to those types of posts. Also don't follow the minors much either. Have enough problems trying to follow what the Giants themselves are doing!

I think we are losing posters simply because we are playing very poorly and there is nothing to really chat about other than 'trying to fix' what's broken. It's fun when you're contending. Not so much when you're 20 games under 500 at the ASB. Having a rather small amount of 'core posters' also creates another strange situation. With a limited amount of posters there is a limited amount of solutions offered and I'm pretty sure we are all not on the same page. As an example ... rebuild versus tweak .... very different approaches

'Losing' changes one's perspective on the season and how board members are viewed. I remember when we crucified NN((HWSNBN) because of the way he thought when we lost a game. Specifically one in CINN. Now we have some of the same posters talking (and supporting) the idea of tanking. Losing a 'game' is not losing a 'season' and there in lies the difference. We've been in a free fall since the 2016 ASB. Doesn't make for very pleasant conversation. Very little bright spots in the 2017 season (so far).

Just my 2 cents ..........
Hmm, interesting thoughts. I do vaguely remember someone posting after the last WS win the opposite theory, that winning gives people nothing to complain about and everyone gets tired of patting themselves on the backs for their teams' success. I think cal's theory about the popularity of social media is killing the forums makes more sense. But keep posting, every poster can help keep the forums alive!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, interesting thoughts. I do vaguely remember someone posting after the last WS win the opposite theory, that winning gives people nothing to complain about and everyone gets tired of patting themselves on the backs for their teams' success. I think cal's theory about the popularity of social media is killing the forums makes more sense. But keep posting, every poster can help keep the forums alive!
Actually, my theory is that forums are too hard to monetize. SM contributes, yes, but the fact that owners of forums can be liable in some worst-case-scenarios makes hosting one almost stupid.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, my theory is that forums are too hard to monetize. SM contributes, yes, but the fact that owners of forums can be liable in some worst-case-scenarios makes hosting one almost stupid.
No, no, I'm sure you are wron gon what your theory ws about. Let's spend another 20 posts arguing about it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monty Python was ingenious. Compare one of their skits to the drivel that SNL puts up week after week.

Sad, really.

To be fair, Python had a smaller cast, did not have to do their whole show live, and no guest hosts to deal with.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Python had a smaller cast, did not have to do their whole show live, and no guest hosts to deal with.
Fair enough. But honestly, when was the last time you legit laughed during an SNL skit?

And how about other skit shows? Madtv? In Living Color? Kids in the Hall? None of them could even clean MP's toilets.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. But honestly, when was the last time you legit laughed during an SNL skit?

And how about other skit shows? Madtv? In Living Color? Kids in the Hall? None of them could even clean MP's toilets.

I haven't watched SNL in years. Agree Monty Python crushes all of them. I liked Kids in the Hall a lot, and Jim Carrey was funny on In Living Color

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched SNL in years. Agree Monty Python crushes all of them. I liked Kids in the Hall a lot, and Jim Carrey was funny on In Living Color
Was he actually LOL funny, or was he funny in your memory? If you were to rewatch ILC today, would you be floored by the humor the way you are when you watch MP:FC clips? I can't imagine you are. MP can be crass, but they are also very intelligent. Every joke has multiple layers, and can be rewatched over and over again over decades. Jim Carey, John Belushi, Chris Farley, etc are funny, but more because they are clowns. Not because they are brilliant.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he actually LOL funny, or was he funny in your memory? If you were to rewatch ILC today, would you be floored by the humor the way you are when you watch MP:FC clips? I can't imagine you are. MP can be crass, but they are also very intelligent. Every joke has multiple layers, and can be rewatched over and over again over decades. Jim Carey, John Belushi, Chris Farley, etc are funny, but more because they are clowns. Not because they are brilliant.

Right there with you, I basically memorized entire seasons of MPFC in my teens and twenties, watching VCR tapes of that shit...

But me saying they were the apex doesn't mean other later sketch stuff didn't work for me sometimes. The best one we didn't even mention, The State and the spinoff Reno 911.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right there with you, I basically memorized entire seasons of MPFC in my teens and twenties, watching VCR tapes of that shit...

But me saying they were the apex doesn't mean other later sketch stuff didn't work for me sometimes. The best one we didn't even mention, The State and the spinoff Reno 911.
I hated the State. When I was in college, they held a special screening of it before it aired (maybe about 4 or 5 months early, as a test screening). I couldn't stand it. I felt like the humor was so infantile and stupid, it was almost insulting me. Reno 911, however, was very watchable. I was actually quite surprised I liked it because of the fact I hated the State so much.