• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bum Activated from DL

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, it worked with my Duffy thread last year...

So, if this were to happen tomorrow, what happens with the roster? Who is dropped from the roster? Who is dropped from the rotation?

By seniority, Blach should be dropped to the pen. Maybe Cueto goes to the DL for a start or two, but I have heard a lot that rest doesn't really help blisters. Cain and Moore have probably been the most inconsistent, but they have both been more good than bad.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, it worked with my Duffy thread last year...

So, if this were to happen tomorrow, what happens with the roster? Who is dropped from the roster? Who is dropped from the rotation?

By seniority, Blach should be dropped to the pen. Maybe Cueto goes to the DL for a start or two, but I have heard a lot that rest doesn't really help blisters. Cain and Moore have probably been the most inconsistent, but they have both been more good than bad.
Looks like it didn't work this time (until now). However, that could be a result of about 6 of us still around to post. Weird to see this forum losing posters but not gaining any. I poked around and found a thread posted 2 years ago with MSG (I think it was MSG) calling posters back. Maybe that needs to be done again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like it didn't work this time (until now). However, that could be a result of about 6 of us still around to post. Weird to see this forum losing posters but not gaining any. I poked around and found a thread posted 2 years ago with MSG (I think it was MSG) calling posters back. Maybe that needs to be done again.
This site doesn't have the constant new traffic that Disney had, so we were bound to die through attrition. Hey, we still have a solid 4 or 5 of the originals (I still count tz - he announced he was just taking time off), and we have a small handful of new guys as well. Either if we die tomorrow, we had a good 7-year run here. Can't argue that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This site doesn't have the constant new traffic that Disney had, so we were bound to die through attrition. Hey, we still have a solid 4 or 5 of the originals (I still count tz - he announced he was just taking time off), and we have a small handful of new guys as well. Either if we die tomorrow, we had a good 7-year run here. Can't argue that.

I think too, message boards in general are dying out to Twitter and blog comment sections.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think too, message boards in general are dying out to Twitter and blog comment sections.

Any of you guys have Giants-themed Twitter groups you follow/contribute to? I'm not on any social media but LinkedIn, this board and a couple blogs are all I use, should I start on Twitter?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys have Giants-themed Twitter groups you follow/contribute to? I'm not on any social media but LinkedIn, this board and a couple blogs are all I use, should I start on Twitter?
I don't have a Twitter account but I do have Facebook and a friend invited me a few years ago to a Facebook page for Giants' fans. The conversations there aren't even worth engaging and there is less much traffic there than on this forum. Typically, someone will start a new conversation once every couple of months.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just haven't gotten it out of my system like a few others. Probably because of the few years I took off from forums. I will enjoy it as long as I can.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I use Twitter a lot, but it is a terrible medium for sports discussion. It's fine for a GDT style (live tweeting it's called), or digging for information, but it's not great for discussion. Plus, you have to deal with hundreds of BoB's and Tito's etc. that aren't regulated.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a Twitter account but I do have Facebook and a friend invited me a few years ago to a Facebook page for Giants' fans. The conversations there aren't even worth engaging and there is less much traffic there than on this forum. Typically, someone will start a new conversation once every couple of months.

OK copy that

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we move somewhere there's more traffic? The average quality of posts would go down but at least there would be more activity? Like McCovey Chronicles or something...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we move somewhere there's more traffic? The average quality of posts would go down but at least there would be more activity? Like McCovey Chronicles or something...
We have had that convo in the past, and even semi-moved once. This place has the best format, bar none. And as someone said earlier, the forum concept is dying.

I gotta say, though, I think that the loss of forums is a real loss to society in general. They are a great place to get info fast from "experts" and to voice opinions to the proper audience. Sure there are abuses, and yes, there are trolls and threads do get hijacked. But if you have mire than a month or so of forum experience, you will figure out how to navigate them properly. The loss of the IMDB forums was horrible. Yes, they were infested with trolls, but they also had some amazing information and were a great place to find out about rumors and to learn tidbits about shows/actors.

While this forum likely won't last more than a few more years, I still think it is worth staying and I will mourned its passing.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had that convo in the past, and even semi-moved once. This place has the best format, bar none. And as someone said earlier, the forum concept is dying.

I gotta say, though, I think that the loss of forums is a real loss to society in general. They are a great place to get info fast from "experts" and to voice opinions to the proper audience. Sure there are abuses, and yes, there are trolls and threads do get hijacked. But if you have mire than a month or so of forum experience, you will figure out how to navigate them properly. The loss of the IMDB forums was horrible. Yes, they were infested with trolls, but they also had some amazing information and were a great place to find out about rumors and to learn tidbits about shows/actors.

While this forum likely won't last more than a few more years, I still think it is worth staying and I will mourned its passing.

Jeez, I go away for a month or two (some health issues), and I come back to people talking about the demise of these boards??? I admit, I was much more of a frequent participant on the old ESPN boards (also participated in more flaming there than I care to admit), but holy moly. I tend to post more over on the Niners board, but this board always had more information and the people here always seemed more thoughtful and intelligent. I hope this continues.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeez, I go away for a month or two (some health issues), and I come back to people talking about the demise of these boards??? I admit, I was much more of a frequent participant on the old ESPN boards (also participated in more flaming there than I care to admit), but holy moly. I tend to post more over on the Niners board, but this board always had more information and the people here always seemed more thoughtful and intelligent. I hope this continues.
Don't read too much into the handful of comments in this thread. Just some semi-venting...

But yea... post more. Your absense is killing us.

:dhd:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back, hope you are doing better.
It would be fun if we got some of our lurkers posting here more often. I see a few names in the bottom of game day threads and wonder why they never post. Having nothing to say doesn't stop me.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be fun if we got some of our lurkers posting here more often. I see a few names in the bottom of game day threads and wonder why they never post. Having nothing to say doesn't stop me.

I also always see a ton of "guests"

We don't bite (well, tzill can gnaw sometimes :D)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also always see a ton of "guests"

We don't bite (well, tzill can gnaw sometimes :D)
Yeah, the guests can be anyone. Although I don't know why someone would follow a thread if they don't have an account. Well, besides me, for a couple of months before I created an account. But that's different!

I was thinking of seeing people with accounts, Giants' monikers even, who read but don't post. I'm sure that they have something at least as intelligent to say as I do.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Health...well, the best that can be said is that I have one of those 'lifestyle' conditions that I'm just going to have to learn to adapt to. Been a bit of a shock (and oddly enough, I feel a bit of guilt and even shame about it, when there's no real reason that I should) but moving forward.

But anyway, I'm a little sensitive to any hint of the end of these boards. Say what you will, the ESPN boards did have a lot of traffic and from a diverse range of people, that fostered lots of discussions...some of which were even insightful! When ESPN killed 'em, that was unfortunate. For Giants stuff, I then gravitated toward the Giants runboard and that was great. But then virtually overnight, it just DIED, like it caught the plague or something. Never quite understood why.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Health...well, the best that can be said is that I have one of those 'lifestyle' conditions that I'm just going to have to learn to adapt to. Been a bit of a shock (and oddly enough, I feel a bit of guilt and even shame about it, when there's no real reason that I should) but moving forward.

But anyway, I'm a little sensitive to any hint of the end of these boards. Say what you will, the ESPN boards did have a lot of traffic and from a diverse range of people, that fostered lots of discussions...some of which were even insightful! When ESPN killed 'em, that was unfortunate. For Giants stuff, I then gravitated toward the Giants runboard and that was great. But then virtually overnight, it just DIED, like it caught the plague or something. Never quite understood why.
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I too have a life-long condition that was just diagnosed a few years back. It isn't a "lifestyle" disease, but it is potentially debilitating. Coming to terms with becoming a statistic is a tough one...

Re: Runboard...

That place was not newb-friendly at all. But it was a decent group, if you could weather the storm. They had the same prob we have, though: no traffic, so no fresh meat.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it Bum will be starting for the RiverCats tonight. I just might have to make the drive to Sacto to see a real MLB pitcher.

I detailed his rehab track in another thread, but it looks like Sactown tonight (already happened), San Jose on July 5th, San Jose on July 10th, then we'll see. Possible he goes on July 17th in Sac one last time before joining Giants.