• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bulls are Looking Really Deep!

ChiTownCliff

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted a thread back during the season, when all the Melo talk was hot, and stated that the Bulls would be better off without him. I still stand by that thought. Melo would certainly give the Bulls a great big three with Rose and Joakim, but too much would depend on Rose being healthy and the Bulls likely would have had to gut their roster to make it all happen.

Well, I got my wish, and now I will get to see if I was right or wrong. The Bulls have made a series of solid moves in the wake of loosing Melo. Let's take a look at these moves and what I think they can equate to.

Pau Gasol. The Bulls "big" move was to sign Gasol to a three year deal. The contract is not too steep for a proven veteran power forward with his best years behind him. Gasol took less money to join the Bulls and that is a good sign. The Bulls have a lot of depth with their bigs, so Gasol will not have to play 35+ minutes a night. I expect him to be the starter along side Noah, but He will see reduced minutes. Thibs will be able to switch in Taj when ever he needs tighter defense and bring Gasol in for some scoring. I am most excited to see the pairing of Gasol with Noah. Two bigs with the ability to have double digit assists. Should be fun to watch.

Doug McDermott The Bulls big move on draft night was to turn two picks into Doug McDermott. The Bulls have been pretty good recently making draft picks and after watching a few summer league games, it look like McBuckets has a solid future ahead of him. I am not one to drink the Kool Aid, so time will tell just how good he is. One thing that is certain is that he can score and Bulls need scoring from the outside. When the Bulls had Korver they were able to really spread the floor. I expect McDermott to be a better version of Korver in the years to come. He has the size to play inside on smaller players and he should become an average defender in Thibs' system.

Nikola Mirotic It has been a long time coming, but he is finally in the U.S. and I am very excited to watch this guy grow in the NBA. I am not expecting him to be the real deal this season. I think we will see some amazing games out of him, but likely he will be just average most of the time. What he brings is yet another player that have drain threes and he also has the ability to drive and finish. At his best he reminds me of a mix between Toni Kukoc and Hedo Turkoglu with a bit more size. I know that Hedo is not what most call a great player, but he did have a solid string of seasons back in the day. I think Mirotic could develop into a solid 3rd or 4th option of a contending team. At worst, I see him as a decent role player.

Aaron Brooks At the time of this writing the Bulls are talking with Aaron Brooks and all signs point to him signing a deal with the Bulls. This is quietly my favorite signing for the Bulls. If Rose goes down again, having Brooks and Hinrich will be a very good backup plan. Neither is great, but Brooks could be yet another PG that thrives under Thibs. Brooks brings ball handling and a great outside shot, and Hinrich brings tight defense and leadership. I think they are a nice set of backups and they both offer Tom options.

So let's take a look at what I think the starting 5 will be by midseason and their backups at each position.

PG - Rose/Hinrich/Brooks
SG - Butler/Snell/Hinrich
SF - McDermott/Mirotic/Dunleavy
PF - Gasol/Gibson/Mirotic
C - Noah/Bairstow

I am hopeful that McDermott will shine in the one position that the Bulls seem a bit weak at, the small forward. Against Cleveland you would see Butler switching to defend LeBron. The Bulls really have a ton of options when it comes to switching and they have a lot of players that can play well in 2 positions. Hinrich can play PG or SG. Butler and Snell can both play SG or SF. McDermott, Mirotic, and Dunleavy can play PF if the Bulls want to go small. Gibson and Gasol can both play a little bit at center.

I think the Bulls have the deepest team they have had in a long long time. They are certainly more talented and versatile. Even a few years back when they had the "bench mob" they were not this good. I would take Hinrich, Snell, Dunleavy, Mirotic, Gibson over Watson, Brewer, Korver, Gibson, Thomas.

I also see another move coming. The Bulls need a solid backup center. Not a stud, but someone that can contribute 15 minutes a night. I see the Bulls waiting for a ring chaser veteran like Okafor or Brand or I could see them trading Dunleavy and a pick for a decent backup. That is the one move I would like to see. Maybe even wait until mid-season to make sure McDermott and Mirotic can handle the SF position with a little help from Butler and Snell.

Here is my final predictions for this season. I have to make two separate ones bases on the health of Rose. I know that is cheating, but oh well.

With a healthy Rose:

60+ wins and the 1st seed in the weak East and a trip to the Finals. Rose averages a respectable 20ppg and 7apg while shooting only .430 from the floor. Gasol turns back the clock playing next to Noah and averages 18ppg and 8rpg. Noah has another stellar season marked with another 1st team all-defensive selection and 2nd in DPOY voting. McDermott has a solid rookie season averaging 11ppg while being top 5 in the league in 3p%. Mirotic has his ups and downs but averages 9ppg off the bench with at least one monster game were he scores 30+. Bulls loose in the Finals to the Spurs in 7.

Without a healthy Rose:

50+ wins and the 3rd seed with a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals. Rose's knee explodes on opening night while moving without the ball. Hinrich and Brooks fill in for him the rest of the season. Brooks averages 13ppg with 6apg. The rest of the team plays out pretty much the same as above. Bulls loose to the Cavs in the Eastern Conference Finals in 6 games.

That is all I have. Thanks.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't help to feal excited for my Bulls, Bears, and Vols this upcoming season even tho I have these same feelings past years and they disappoint.

I think the Bulls have by far the best bigs in the league with Noah/Gasol/Gibson. Our biggest ? besides Rose is the SF position, lot of options but each player have a ?. Expect at lot of changes to the lineup thourgh out the year. I think Dunleavy gets the start in the beginning but some one like Snell or McDormett might step up and start sometime later.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how well they will do next season, but it certainly looks as if they will be better. At least, I hope so.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember taking shots with a Bulls fan last Sept telling him last year was going to be their year.

I'm going to call them the Chicago 'if Rose stays Healthies' until I get a reason to call them anything else.

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bulls are a Conference Semi-Finals or Conference Finals team even without Rose. Even with the disastrous Lakers, Gasol was averaging 17.4ppg 9.7rpg last season. He'll give the Bulls 20ppg 10rpg and Defense.

And I like the perimeter shooting upgrades too.

BTW you need to trade Rose while he still qualifies as trade bait. The clock is ticking.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bulls are a Conference Semi-Finals or Conference Finals team even without Rose. Even with the disastrous Lakers, Gasol was averaging 17.4ppg 9.7rpg last season. He'll give the Bulls 20ppg 10rpg and Defense.

No way is Gasol dropping 20 a night.

14-18 a night would be far more realistic.

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noah and Gasol will be awesome together, probably the 2 best passing-bigmen in the East.
Compare that to the mess of the Lakers.....

Also it will be great for Gasol to play with such blue-collar enforcer-types (Noah/Gibson). The benefits at both ends will be huge.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noah and Gasol will be awesome together, probably the 2 best passing-bigmen in the East.
Compare that to the mess of the Lakers.....

Also it will be great for Gasol to play with such blue-collar enforcer-types (Noah/Gibson). The benefits at both ends will be huge.

Gasol is a nice addition, no doubt about it.

But, you have to consider that he's an older player now, and is breaking down more and more with each season. I think he is an improvement from Boozer, but I don't see him averaging 20ppg.

NADAL2005RG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ So even after having an unhelpful coach/system in LA and averaging 17.4ppg last season......? You can't see Gasol's average increase by 2ppg?

I bet Noah will get Gasol some easy baskets too.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Gasol playing the the back up Center roll... They will play him at PF with Noah, then sit Noah... Pau C Gibson PF, then rest Pau, Noah and Gibson... At least that's how Phil played him with Odom and Bynum and he was a monster those days... 30-32 minutes he should be fine... 18pts 9rebs 6ast...

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cliff, after all these years and a few dark ones for you I am happy to see your excitement. I think the Bulls are on Par with Pacers and Heat now, and maybe ahead if Rose is 90% old Rose. The wildcard is the Cavs, and to a lesser degree the Wizards.

I think Thibs will get the most out of Gasol. Perfect fit IMO.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW you need to trade Rose while he still qualifies as trade bait. The clock is ticking.

No one would trade for rosé. His contract is unmovable

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No way Gasol averages at least 20 points per game considering he has only done it 2 times and it was on the Grizzlies in 2005 and 2006. How long ago was that? Good signing but lets be realistic.

Lone Granger

Superstar
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rose stays healthy, even just D Wade healthy, then they should go real deep. Always been a fan of that team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get too excited about Gasol. I loved the guy when he was on our team and I wish he had stayed but he's been on a steady decline since the Lakers last won the title in 2010.

As for his stats last year, EVERYONE on the team had higher numbers in D'Antonis offence. Jodie Meeks went from 8ppg to 16ppg, Kent Bazemore went from 2ppg to 13ppg and even Xavier Henry scored in double digits.

As a player I hope he does OK but he's not going to be as impressive as the Bulls fans hope he will be.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get too excited about Gasol. I loved the guy when he was on our team and I wish he had stayed but he's been on a steady decline since the Lakers last won the title in 2010.

As for his stats last year, EVERYONE on the team had higher numbers in D'Antonis offence. Jodie Meeks went from 8ppg to 16ppg, Kent Bazemore went from 2ppg to 13ppg and even Xavier Henry scored in double digits.

As a player I hope he does OK but he's not going to be as impressive as the Bulls fans hope he will be.

This is not true. Excluding last year since you want to use D'Antoni offense as an excuse, Pau had a good year in 2 of the 3 seasons following the title in 2010

2011-19 & 10
2012- 17 & 10
2013- 14 & 9
2014- 17 & 10

If I had to take a guess I would say he avg 16 and 9 this year

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not true. Excluding last year since you want to use D'Antoni offense as an excuse, Pau had a good year in 2 of the 3 seasons following the title in 2010

2011-19 & 10
2012- 17 & 10
2013- 14 & 9
2014- 17 & 10

If I had to take a guess I would say he avg 16 and 9 this year

Now show me his playoff stats since 2010

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 3 teams in the East are Bulls, Cleveland and Wash. Pacers and Heat take a big step backwards.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Plus Gasol's defense has become very porous. He doesn't like to play defense expecially in the paint. Maybe Thibs can light a fire under his butt. We shall see.