• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bud Selig: Montreal 'excellent' choice for return

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to call into the George Plaster radio show today and see what he says about it.

I just thought of another potential buzz factor that could give Nashville an edge: big-name country music personalities who could toss together the needed cash to pull this off in about 3 minutes. No doubt one of the Microsoft guys could do the same for Portland and there's big money in Montreal too but Tim McGraw is sexy and Paul Allen is not. :D

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL is exploring the possibility of adding a team in Las Vegas. So maybe look there too.

Part of Montreals problem was that terrible concrete their players needed to perform on and nobody wanting to go ruin their knees for life.

I'm pretty sure MLB and the NBA closed the door on Las Vegas. The SoCal Inland Empire would have a bigger draw than Vega$.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to call into the George Plaster radio show today and see what he says about it.

I just thought of another potential buzz factor that could give Nashville an edge: big-name country music personalities who could toss together the needed cash to pull this off in about 3 minutes. No doubt one of the Microsoft guys could do the same for Portland and there's big money in Montreal too but Tim McGraw is sexy and Paul Allen is not. :D

The country music aspect is interesting. Country artists love to perform. I can see lower level and up and coming artists working with the team, putting on shows afterward and it turning into more than just a baseball game. Get some country music stars in the audience here and there, it could be a very interesting place to see a game.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha! Got on the air. :D

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see the Expos back
They should have never left
Need a new stadium though for it to work

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar thing happened (might still be happening) to the Nationals. Washington is a transient town, no one is really from there. I went to what I believe was their 3rd game (vs. Mets) in the brand spanking new stadium down in D.C. and the place was 1/2 filled with Orioles fans and the other half were Mets fans.

At least they built a nice park though and I hope they do well

Yeah, early on it was a bit rough, but it's getting a lot better. First, this is a Redskins town. I know locals that aren't big football fans or fans of another team don't like to hear it, but it's true. If a Redskin sneezes, all other sports stories are thrown away and the sneeze is covered, and the phone lines to the radio shows are packed to talk about it. Second, any big-time baseball fans probably already had a team that they adopted as their own. For most it was the Orioles since they are so close, and the local DC media covered the O's (and still do) like a home team. It's tough to let go of a team you've cheered for for so long when a new team rolls into town. I don't blame any of those O's fans for staying with them. Hell, it took me a couple of years to come around to being a Nats fan. I was a Cubs fan since I was a kid due to WGN.

The Phillies fans take the place over (or at least did when the Phils were good).

All our stadiums/parks/arenas have been easy to take over. Part of that is the transient nature of DC as Rex said. Part of it is all of our teams have flat-out stunk more often than not. The recent exception to that is the Caps, and the Verizon Center is usually filled with almost all Caps fans due to the success. Though there's a big Pittsburgh and Philly crowd often, too.

Stan Kasten, the Nats GM when Nats Park opened, actually advertised in Philly to come to DC and watch the Phillies take on the Nats. Locals were not pleased with that...