• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BS Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, I never thought of laziness / shortness as a reason.

I suppose it's the same reason why some people give others a short nickname of the subject's real name.

On the show "Beverly Hills, 90210", the characters used to refer to each other often by just the first letter of their real name.

For example, Brandon referred to Dylan as "D". Steve referred to Brandon as "B".

Steve was just Steve, and David was just David.

I was only kidding, but ok. Maybe laziness is prevalent in society. :)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was only kidding, but ok. Maybe laziness is prevalent in society. :)

Richard becomes Dick.

William becomes Bill.

(Side note - a substitute teacher was calling roll. She called out "Bill", because she thought that's what William's nickname would be. We told her there wasn't a Bill in the class. She then called out William.

William's nickname was actually Clinton, haha.)

SOME NAME + Jr. becomes first initial + JR. (Example, Chris Jr. becomes CJ).

Mary Jane becomes MJ.

Some of the cousins in my family have short nicknames, which originated from the parents but then became the commonly-used name.

Timothy becomes Tim.

Albert becomes Al.

Christine becomes Christy.

Katherine becomes Kathy.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally prefer the long form names, if that's what the person wants to be called.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard becomes Dick.

Yep, that's what alcohol can do to a man. Just tell Richard too limit his alcohol intake, just don't tell him when he's drunk; he'll just throw the glass at you if you do. (Nothing against alcoholics, just have a driver.)

SOME NAME + Jr. becomes first initial + JR. (Example, Chris Jr. becomes CJ).

I always assumed 'J' was from someone's middle name, like Chris Jonathon Carter. (Made up all three, though I suppose there is someone out there by that name, might even be famous.)

Mary Jane becomes MJ.

I think you are getting this confused with Mary Jane becomes legal in some states. Or Mary Jane becomes single when Spiderman dumps her for her safety. (I don't actually know what happens in Spiderman, I just know he talks of having a girlfriend causing a lot of risk to her.)

Albert becomes Al.

Must watch if you haven't already - it has Chevy Chase in it, as you can see.

Katherine becomes Kathy.

Never call my sister, Katherine, that. She hates when people do that. But kudos for spelling "Katherine" with a 'K' and not a 'C' or a 'y' like Kathryn. For that matter, don't call me or my brother that either, as that is not our names.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must watch if you haven't already - it has Chevy Chase in it, as you can see.

It was ok.

I don't like most music videos.

Yep, that's what alcohol can do to a man. Just tell Richard too limit his alcohol intake, just don't tell him when he's drunk; he'll just throw the glass at you if you do. (Nothing against alcoholics, just have a driver.)

I always assumed 'J' was from someone's middle name, like Chris Jonathon Carter. (Made up all three, though I suppose there is someone out there by that name, might even be famous.)

I think you are getting this confused with Mary Jane becomes legal in some states. Or Mary Jane becomes single when Spiderman dumps her for her safety. (I don't actually know what happens in Spiderman, I just know he talks of having a girlfriend causing a lot of risk to her.)

Never call my sister, Katherine, that. She hates when people do that. But kudos for spelling "Katherine" with a 'K' and not a 'C' or a 'y' like Kathryn. For that matter, don't call me or my brother that either, as that is not our names.

Lol.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was ok.

I don't like most music videos.

I'm really starting to hate the word, "ok." I prefer "great." Just kidding. ;)

My uncle's name is Hal, so growing up I either thought it was "You can call be Hal" or I just sang it that way on purpose.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really starting to hate the word, "ok." I prefer "great." Just kidding. ;)

My uncle's name is Hal, so growing up I either thought it was "You can call be Hal" or I just sang it that way on purpose.

That makes it funnier, and it makes a funnier running-joke with your family.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I liked this, thanks.

I'll get to the Phanton Of The Opera clips, as well as the 2nd Chevy Chase clip, another time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that "Son" is used as a proper noun to affectionately refer to a young male, but not "Daughter"?

And the person referring to the young male doesn't even have to be his father, grandfather, or other male relative. It can be a mall Santa. It can be a teacher. It can be in any situation in which an older male is giving advice to a younger male. I think the speaker is always an older male, but perhaps it can come from an older female to a younger male too.

I'm doing good... well.jpg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuraman, keep posting, but I just figured out, you've out-posted me in every thread but 3 - even the BS thread and I'm full of BS - well, more like human shit. One thread was a tie. One was a starter thread that never took off. One was on that you started but I had one more post. Congratulations, we should turn this into the Nuraman Message Board. ;)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've rarely seen an adult call another adult that. And it's definitely disrespectful to do that, especially if the white male did it to the black male (but either way it's bad).

I know this was a funny clip. The humor though was in how from-out-of-nowhere disrespectful he was, especially since the black male used "son" to the white male.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so weird. I had a dream about brushing my teeth, and whether I was getting every tooth.

I think the Chevy Chase dentist clips must have gone in my subconscious.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuraman, keep posting, but I just figured out, you've out-posted me in every thread but 3 - even the BS thread and I'm full of BS - well, more like human shit. One thread was a tie. One was a starter thread that never took off. One was on that you started but I had one more post. Congratulations, we should turn this into the Nuraman Message Board. ;)

You could have more posts if you posted in these empty threads. ;)

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/utah-jazz/87136-tim-duncan-o-g.html

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/utah-jazz/87788-reposting-old-grimm010-post.html

You could even choose to post about your favorite grimm010 memory in the latter.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so weird. I had a dream about brushing my teeth, and whether I was getting every tooth.

I think the Chevy Chase dentist clips must have gone in my subconscious.

That was Steve Martin and Bill Murray, not Chevy Chase - it appears you really've got Chevy Chase in your subconscious. (Yes, really've's not proper, but neither is thinking the dentist clip was 'ok.') ;)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I do when she starts to cry, if it's not real pain, is that I see if it's something she can do herself. For example, when she was first starting to walk, every once in awhile, she'd fuss a bit when she wanted to go somewhere. Instead of picking her up and taking her to where she wanted to go, like my wife would be inclined to do, I demonstrate how to get where she wants to go. She would then imitate. If she fell, I would say "boom" and instead of crying, she'd say "boom" back to me. She's had a "whatever" attitude to falling. Once my friend's baby fell and screamed, "waaaaaaaaaah" to which my daughter looked at me and said "boom" pointing to her baby friend. She saw the Olympic diving this year and said "boom wawa" which I consider one of her first sentences. (Wawa means water, of course.)

I had a phrase that I made up that I'd say too when I fell, or jumped (such as when jumping down the stairs), similar to "boom".

I won't say what the phrase was, and it doesn't make any sense anyways as it's just a bunch of gibberish, but your post reminded me of a similar action I took when jumping from a height or falling down.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked this, thanks.

I'll get to the Phanton Of The Opera clips, as well as the 2nd Chevy Chase clip, another time.

This sounds like the old "Just 2 Guys" variety. The Krispy Kreme was better and the only part of the video below that sticks for me as catchy is the "party over here" part. P-A-R-T-Y because we have to. (Read: Why? Because we have to.) One guy looks a bit like Jimmy Fallon to me. (Not comparing talent.)

The beginning is awful and overall is bad, but this is better than Just 2 Guys.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like the old "Just 2 Guys" variety. The Krispy Kreme was better and the only part of the video below that sticks for me as catchy is the "party over here" part. P-A-R-T-Y because we have to. (Read: Why? Because we have to.) One guy looks a bit like Jimmy Fallon to me. (Not comparing talent.)

The beginning is awful and overall is bad, but this is better than Just 2 Guys.

The first one wasn't good. I liked the gun part though.

The 2nd one was good, all of it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first is the most famous, as I think it was the first. The last is my least favorite, but ok.