• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broxton coming?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewers just traded for Yellich and signed LoCain.

Broxton has to be on his way to SF now, right?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, he's the type of player the Giants are probably looking at, minimum salary CFer. I'm sure they're chatting about it.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewers just traded for Yellich and signed LoCain.

Broxton has to be on his way to SF now, right?

I'd rather have Phillips, but he'll cost quite a lot.

I would say neither. The Brewers biggest need is starting pitching. I doubt they'll let either go for anything else than a major league ready starting pitcher. We've got none to give.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broxton has HR power, but does he have ANYTHING else? Even his defensive metrics are nothing to get excited about. And he is going into his age 28 season.

Why??

Phillips looks better, but what would he cost? Suarez? I am not sure that would be a bad deal. How is his defense?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broxton has HR power, but does he have ANYTHING else? Even his defensive metrics are nothing to get excited about. And he is going into his age 28 season.

Why??

Phillips looks better, but what would he cost? Suarez? I am not sure that would be a bad deal. How is his defense?

he has speed. He's shown he can walk, but he did dip from 14.8% to just 8.6% last year. He's had a K% above 35% over the last two seasons. That's pretty scary. And even his .242 BA in 2016 came on a .373 BABIP.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why??

I'm telling you, unless the Giants are willing to part with Cueto or Samardzija, I don't think either outfielder will land in SF. The Brewers are clearly going for it now and starting pitching is their biggest weakness. They need at least one starting pitcher that they know would produce now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you, unless the Giants are willing to part with Cueto or Samardzija, I don't think either outfielder will land in SF. The Brewers are clearly going for it now and starting pitching is their biggest weakness. They need at least one starting pitcher that they know would produce now.
Neither are worth anything near Cueto or Sammy. I don’t thinnk I want Broxton at all, and Phillips is worth an MLB ready mid-range prospect only (Suarez, MAYBE Beede). If we are parting with Cueto or Sammy, I want Santana +

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither are worth anything near Cueto or Sammy. I don’t thinnk I want Broxton at all, and Phillips is worth an MLB ready mid-range prospect only (Suarez, MAYBE Beede). If we are parting with Cueto or Sammy, I want Santana +
Of course I'm merely speculating, but look at what the Brewers have done. They shipped off a bunch of prospects (the Marlins probably got their best haul in this trade) for Yelich. They went all in on a center fielder who will be almost 37 years old when the deal is finished. They've forfeited their 2nd and 5th round picks this year. They don't want major league ready or close to major league ready prospects. They want guys who they know (or think they know) will help them win a pennant this year. That's why I think that the Brewers are looking for some serious major league pitching. Maybe they land Julio Teheran or someone like him. Maybe they find that no one wants to pay the exchange for Phillips or Broxton and stash both of them. I think Phillips has an option or two left. They keep him for insurance. Broxton could be the 4th outfielder. Santana gets them the starter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your analysis is correct, and it makes a lot of sense, than there is no chance any of their overstock comes our way. The Giants only have 3 solid SP assets, and no way are any of them going anywhere right now.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your analysis is correct, and it makes a lot of sense, than there is no chance any of their overstock comes our way. The Giants only have 3 solid SP assets, and no way are any of them going anywhere right now.
I've been wrong before (did I just say that?). But I do think it is highly improbable. I cannot see the FO making a bigger hole in the rotation to patch up what (they think) is a small hole. If the Brewers feel in a panic to move someone, maybe they can snatch a guy, but I'd think, depending on who it is, the Giants could be outbid on that front.
Looking at their 40 man roster, it would make sense for them to keep Broxton as the 4th man.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking a little further, Brett Phillips has two options left. There's no reason for the Brewers to move him unless they get a really good package in return.
Domingo Santana played right field exclusively last year. However, he does have some time in center and left in previous years in the big leagues. But he only played 12 games in center in the minor leagues. He seems best suited as a starter somewhere.
Keon Broxton played center field exclusively last year. However, he's played a bit of left and right field in the minors. Typically, guys who can handle center field can also handle the corners (although right field can be tricky, depending on the park and the guy's arm strength).
Considering that Santana has shown a lot more offensively than Broxton (higher on base and slugging, both strike out a lot but Broxton does so at a higher clip) and Santana is also 3 years younger than Broxton, if the Brewers want to seriously land a good starter, they will probably need to ship out Santana. Broxton's questionable defense and lack of ability to get on base serves him better as a 4th outifelder than a starter anyway.
The Brewers do also have Hernan Perez, who can play all positions besides pitcher and catcher. He would serve as the super utility guy, allowing them to go with an outfield of Braun, Cain, Yelich and Broxton. Then the Brewers could carry either 13 pitchers, 3 catchers or 7 infielders on their roster.
I don't expect more than one of their outfielders to be traded and I think it is highly likely to be Domingo Santana for an MLB established 3rd starter type pitcher.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking a little further, Brett Phillips has two options left. There's no reason for the Brewers to move him unless they get a really good package in return.
Domingo Santana played right field exclusively last year. However, he does have some time in center and left in previous years in the big leagues. But he only played 12 games in center in the minor leagues. He seems best suited as a starter somewhere.
Keon Broxton played center field exclusively last year. However, he's played a bit of left and right field in the minors. Typically, guys who can handle center field can also handle the corners (although right field can be tricky, depending on the park and the guy's arm strength).
Considering that Santana has shown a lot more offensively than Broxton (higher on base and slugging, both strike out a lot but Broxton does so at a higher clip) and Santana is also 3 years younger than Broxton, if the Brewers want to seriously land a good starter, they will probably need to ship out Santana. Broxton's questionable defense and lack of ability to get on base serves him better as a 4th outifelder than a starter anyway.
The Brewers do also have Hernan Perez, who can play all positions besides pitcher and catcher. He would serve as the super utility guy, allowing them to go with an outfield of Braun, Cain, Yelich and Broxton. Then the Brewers could carry either 13 pitchers, 3 catchers or 7 infielders on their roster.
I don't expect more than one of their outfielders to be traded and I think it is highly likely to be Domingo Santana for an MLB established 3rd starter type pitcher.

Jake Odorizzi

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my coworkers has the Brewers as his second team. We were talking about options for them after yesterday’s activity, and we both agreed that Archer may be a good target for them.

Would Santana and Phillips for Archer get it done?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my coworkers has the Brewers as his second team. We were talking about options for them after yesterday’s activity, and we both agreed that Archer may be a good target for them.

Would Santana and Phillips for Archer get it done?

Rays could probably use a young outfielder though they could have Justin Williams up later this year. A Dickerson/Kiemaier/Souza outfield is pretty good, but Dickerson spent about 1/3 of his 2017 season at DH and Kiermaier's missed over 100 games over the last two seasons. If anything, the Rays could probably use some infield prospects.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keon Broxton Has Minor League Option Remaining
Since Broxton has an option left, and Phillips has two options left, it would seem the Brewers could easily go with a 4 man outfield and not trade anyone if they don't get an offer they like.
I like this news. I have zero interest in Broxton. I like Gorkys better, let alone Parker, MAC and Duggar.