• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browner ever suspended for substance abuse before?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I thought I thought. the PED and substance abuse are totally seperate.

So if thats correct, how does BB get a year? Wouldn't he have a 4 game first, then an 8 game for a secondary positive....then a year long?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I thought I thought. the PED and substance abuse are totally seperate.

So if thats correct, how does BB get a year? Wouldn't he have a 4 game first, then an 8 game for a secondary positive....then a year long?

This is my understanding and this info is not confirmed...Yes, the PED and sunstance abuse are seperate issues.

If a players fails a substance/drug UA test, the 1st time is a WARNING. Player is informed he will be under increased scrutiny and will be punished with a 4 game suspension if it happens again. BTW, a 1st offense is kept quiet.
2nd time failure, expect a player appeal and if unsuccessful on appeal it is announced to all and a 4 game suspension is punishment (Thurmond).
3rd time failure, expect player appeal and if unsuccessful on appeal it is announced to all and a 1 year suspension is punishment (Browner).

That is my understanding sir.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not completely sure but i always assumed that a suspension is a suspension wether its PED or Substance abuse its still illegal. It probably all falls under the leagues discipline rules. so if you were suspended for taking performance enhancers and a year later get suspended for a DUI all falls under the same thing

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's part of what makes this whole thing confusing and possibly why NFL.com thought it was originally a PED thing.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Aldon Smith, yes. Gun charges, Weed ya know :), alcohol, yup.
Full Meal Deal with this young man.

Get what you can from Smith this season, cuz .......just saying.......unless some type of coverup, Aldon Smith perhaps ....... might be in trouble. just saying.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wazzu, I read an article yesterday, which I don't remember now because I read too many yesterday regarding Brandon Browner. Anyhow, one of the article says that Browner was apparently put on the NFL substance abuse program back in the 2005-2006 season when he was still with the Denver Broncos.

I'm not totally sure if he was suspended back then, but basically once you're on the program, you're under strict testing policy and could ban you if you messed up.

While it's true that the PED and non-PED policies are separate, it still falls under the same rule. My guess is that the reason he got a year ban was because of his previous issue back in the 05-06 season when they put him in the program.

Sad, but he seems to be a very troubled individual. I doubt he'll ever play again after the ban.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the articles I was referring to, I couldn't find the other one where it stated that he was put on the substance abuse program in 2005-2006. He did however, tested positive when he was with the Broncos. Don't know why he didn't get disciplined back then.

Browner was suspended for the final four games last season for using performance-enhancing drugs and reportedly had a positive test while with Denver in 2005-06.

Brandon Browner reportedly violates substance-abuse policy | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently, this is the reason why BB got a calendar year ban. Yes, while the PED and non-PED policies are different. I think the approach taken by the NFL is the same.

This is the current situation for Walter Thurmond's suspension.

If Thurmond is suspended four games, it means he was moved to “Stage 2,” outlined in the league’s substance-abuse policy. He will be in Stage 2 for 24 months or two full seasons, whichever is shorter. If he commits another violation in that time, he will be moved to Stage 3 and suspended for a calendar year. If not, he returns to a clean slate.

The key words there are "be in stage 2 for 24 months or 2 full seasons. If commits another violation, stage 3 takes effects and a year long suspension."

Browner probably got the year ban because he violated again while still in stage 2 for the PED violation.

Read more here: Seahawks? Browner faces 1-year suspension | Seattle Seahawks | The News Tribune

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the sad part. You stay in stage 1 for a period between 90 days and 6 months. If clean they drop back off, if not they go to stage 2 for 24 months and face the loss of wages and a 4 game suspension. You don't enter stage 3 until you have two failed tests during stage 2 and/or a mix of failed tests and failure to comply with testing, treatment, or other requirements. Once they are in stage 3 they are in that stage for the duration of their playing career.

So Browner is just chronic. He has been messing up under this policy for a long time with very little time of non failure as he has never reset his stage clock.

Boneheaded dipshit.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the sad part. You stay in stage 1 for a period between 90 days and 6 months. If clean they drop back off, if not they go to stage 2 for 24 months and face the loss of wages and a 4 game suspension. You don't enter stage 3 until you have two failed tests during stage 2 and/or a mix of failed tests and failure to comply with testing, treatment, or other requirements. Once they are in stage 3 they are in that stage for the duration of their playing career.

So Browner is just chronic. He has been messing up under this policy for a long time with very little time of non failure as he has never reset his stage clock.

Boneheaded dipshit.

Chronic is probably the best word to describe him since apparently this went all the way back to 2005. I don't necessarily agree with the NFL on their stance for pot because to say Browner or Thurmond had a problem because they were lighting up a joint is unfair. However, rules are rules in the NFL.

I will also say that I commend Schneider and Carroll for giving some of these guys chances to shine and I am by no mean blaming them at all but it seems like this is the one move that comes to bite them in the asses because of Browner's history.

They even gave him a bonus just to try to get him to stay away from type of troubles for goodness sake. This guy is a f'king moron and I'm glad he's not coming back.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article here that explains a little about how Browner may have been treated unfairly by the NFL.

Browner?s predicament possibly arises from unfair implementation of substance-abuse policy | ProFootballTalk

"When players are cut by NFL teams, they remain subject to the testing requirements of the substance-abuse policy. If they don’t show for the tests (after all, they’re no longer NFL employees), they become subject to the various steps and stages of the substance-abuse program.

It’s wrong and it’s unfair, but that’s just the way it is, as agreed to by the NFL Players Association.
Browner played for the Broncos in 2005. Cut in 2006, Browner surfaced the following year in the CFL. Unless Browner violated the substance-abuse policy enough times in one-plus year with the Broncos to land in Stage Three, there’s a chance he fell victim to the unfair expectation that players who have been dumped by the NFL still have to submit to NFL-implemented drug tests, and that he returned to the NFL in 2011 with a lifetime membership in Stage Three.

That’s how Stage Three works. Once a guy enters Stage Three, he never gets out. And if he makes one false move while in Stage Three, via a positive test or a failure to show up for a test, he’s done for at least a year."

Maybe there is a chance that this gets dropped back to a 4 game suspension? Not likely, but possible.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for clearing it up fellas.

Either way, huge opportunity lost....I hope that was worth it. ....

Superbowl run... Contract year.........man, talk about being an idiot.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article here that explains a little about how Browner may have been treated unfairly by the NFL.

Browner?s predicament possibly arises from unfair implementation of substance-abuse policy | ProFootballTalk

"When players are cut by NFL teams, they remain subject to the testing requirements of the substance-abuse policy. If they don’t show for the tests (after all, they’re no longer NFL employees), they become subject to the various steps and stages of the substance-abuse program.

It’s wrong and it’s unfair, but that’s just the way it is, as agreed to by the NFL Players Association.
Browner played for the Broncos in 2005. Cut in 2006, Browner surfaced the following year in the CFL. Unless Browner violated the substance-abuse policy enough times in one-plus year with the Broncos to land in Stage Three, there’s a chance he fell victim to the unfair expectation that players who have been dumped by the NFL still have to submit to NFL-implemented drug tests, and that he returned to the NFL in 2011 with a lifetime membership in Stage Three.

That’s how Stage Three works. Once a guy enters Stage Three, he never gets out. And if he makes one false move while in Stage Three, via a positive test or a failure to show up for a test, he’s done for at least a year."

Maybe there is a chance that this gets dropped back to a 4 game suspension? Not likely, but possible.

It's not gonna happen, he already has his appeal hearing and the NFL already denied it. He's serving the 1 year.