• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos sign Von Miller

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Schefter, broncos have resigned Von Miller. Cam Newton is screaming expletives.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Essentially when you look at the guaranteed money side of things this breaks down more to that of a 4-year/$78 million contract. The final 2 years don't have really hardly any dead money.

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right in the nick of time. 70 million guaranteed? I guess the wait was worth it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Essentially when you look at the guaranteed money side of things this breaks down more to that of a 4-year/$78 million contract. The final 2 years don't have really hardly any dead money.

More guaranteed money then Russell Wilson. I'd say Elway got beat and beat badly by Miller.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More guaranteed money then Russell Wilson. I'd say Elway got beat and beat badly by Miller.

Not all of that is actually fully guaranteed though. Only $42 million is actually fully guaranteed and $70 million in total guarantees.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all of that is actually fully guaranteed though. Only $42 million is actually fully guaranteed and $70 million in total guarantees.
Guess we'll have to see all the details. Still think Miller won this contract battle regardless. With a back up quality QB and/or rookie being the starting QB the D. Thomas contract is not looking good either.

Think the myth of Elway being a great GM type is falling to the wayside.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh gotta analyze the contract as always. I can't take anyone seriously who just looks at $s and years and goes nuts.

Miller is basically on the hook for 3 seasons while Denver can release him when he turns 30 for only a $9M cap hit. Of course Elway would be paying a lot of money but whatever, those guys are all so rich compared to the contracts they give out it doesn't matter.

That said, JJ Watt's contract pales in comparison to Millers and Watt is far and away the best defensive player in the league. Yes I realize Miller went HAM in 2 games in the post season (playoff game 2 and Super Bowl) but whatever.

B+ Grade. Miller is a player you can build around, played hard when it mattered, is still in his prime turning 27 4 months ago, and has proven he can play on a big contract (2nd overall, realize post CBA but still plenty) and not get fat/lazy (position is also a bonus considering he's not rocking 300 lbs at the moment). He also seems to be a team player and not a locker room or on field cancer.

Grades I give in the A category are generally reserved for players getting signed to amazing contractual terms/deals.

Tempted to bump this to an A- because Denver likely gets to enjoy 4 years of cheap QB play similar to Seattle so they can commit money elsewhere.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we'll have to see all the details. Still think Miller won this contract battle regardless. With a back up quality QB and/or rookie being the starting QB the D. Thomas contract is not looking good either.

I think Von won this deal more so than the Broncos. I will agree with you on that. I wouldn't say though that Elway the GM has completely fallen off until we see the product put on the field this year. First off the DT signing are we really calling that one bad at this point for a guy that had over 100 catches this last year and over 1,300 yards? I mean that is top-5 QB play which hey DT is getting paid top-5 money. He had some untimely drops for sure but even a down year for DT is a career year for 97% of all receivers in the NFL.

I would also say Elway's work in the draft to wait for Paxton Lynch and jump ahead of about 4 teams that were also trying to get him was pretty darn impressive. They got good grades from most on their draft work and signed quite a few players to team friendly deals like Okung, Stephenson, Wolfe, Crick, and others that more than 1 team was fighting for all those players.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Von won this deal more so than the Broncos. I will agree with you on that. I wouldn't say though that Elway the GM has completely fallen off until we see the product put on the field this year. First off the DT signing are we really calling that one bad at this point for a guy that had over 100 catches this last year and over 1,300 yards? I mean that is top-5 QB play which hey DT is getting paid top-5 money. He had some untimely drops for sure but even a down year for DT is a career year for 97% of all receivers in the NFL.

I would also say Elway's work in the draft to wait for Paxton Lynch and jump ahead of about 4 teams that were also trying to get him was pretty darn impressive. They got good grades from most on their draft work and signed quite a few players to team friendly deals like Okung, Stephenson, Wolfe, Crick, and others that more than 1 team was fighting for all those players.
DT is a talent, but if you don't have the QB that can get him the ball, what's the point of having and paying him top notch money? We all know the Broncos offense sucked last year despite having DT and Sanders as WRs. So not a coherent plan IMO.
Not impressed with the guys they signed vs the guys they lost, at all! Jumping ahead for Lynch might be genius.....or another mistake. We'll have to see how that works out.:nod:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT is a talent, but if you don't have the QB that can get him the ball, what's the point of having and paying him top notch money? We all know the Broncos offense sucked last year despite having DT and Sanders as WRs. So not a coherent plan IMO.
Not impressed with the guys they signed vs the guys they lost, at all! Jumping ahead for Lynch might be genius.....or another mistake. We'll have to see how that works out.:nod:

I guess so. A lot for the Broncos does ride on Lynch developing into a quality QB. If he does that then Von Miller's deal and DT's deal both look pretty darn genius to have talent surrounding a young cheap QB that is performing well.

And to me they lost 2 quality players in Malik and Trevathan. That is it from a Super Bowl team. Manning was at one time quality but wasn't this past year. Owen Daniels was an average at best TE. Mathis and Vasquez were past their prime and injured most of the year. Clady was on IR the entire season. So really those are the two guys they lost in Malik and Trevathan. While I think they will be missed I also think the Broncos can counter some of what they lost by an improved offense. I know the whole Sanchez thing seems like a joke and such but to me we will just have to see. More importantly for the Broncos though will be if they improve in the run game this year. They revamped their entire OL, re-signed their top RB's and drafted a pretty good one, and maybe most importantly will be actually running the scheme Kubiak loves to run that most years has been a top-10 rushing attack whether he had a quality QB or not.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right on. Almost time to defend the title.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Second most wins in the NFL since he took over, 5 straight division titles, 2 AFC Championships, and 1 Super Bowl championship.

You're right, Elway is a hack. Broncos should fire him now before he really runs the team into the ground.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second most wins in the NFL since he took over, 5 straight division titles, 2 AFC Championships, and 1 Super Bowl championship.

You're right, Elway is a hack. Broncos should fire him now before he really runs the team into the ground.

And people forget its not like he walked into a great situation. The team was coming off a 4-12 season (worst in our history). The previous coach got caught cheating and fired part way through the season. We had Tim Tebow as our best QB on the roster for goodness sake. Yet in 5 years all that you posted is what he has done.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And people forget its not like he walked into a great situation. The team was coming off a 4-12 season (worst in our history). The previous coach got caught cheating and fired part way through the season. We had Tim Tebow as our best QB on the roster for goodness sake. Yet in 5 years all that you posted is what he has done.
Yep. But he's not a great GM because Von Miller got the better end of this deal. Totally makes sense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Elway basically bought his way to a good team, starting with Peyton Manning. Live by the sword, die by the sword. It's biting him in the ass right now IMO. He's going to have show some draft magic and it starts with Paxton. We'll have to see how that works out.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway basically bought his way to a good team, starting with Peyton Manning. Live by the sword, die by the sword. It's biting him in the ass right now IMO. He's going to have show some draft magic and it starts with Paxton. We'll have to see how that works out.
Right. Elway bought guys like Derek Wolfe, Von Miller, Chris Harris Jr., Brandon Marshall, C.J. Anderson, Bradley Roby, etc. etc.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy (1).gif

sanford-and-son-group-laugh-o.gif