• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2016 Draft

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get Dennison is kind OL coach but not his job title .

My problem is we really don't have a real OL coach in Clancy Barone his first tim he was our OL was not in the slightest a great run ... I don't get why the thought it was going to be any different ?
There will be some changes before next season on that side of the ball. No question.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Elliot, don`t think drafting a rb is out of question but think 3 rd earliest,but I would take Henry from Bama but he will prob be 1st rd. If however, he were available when Denver were to pk ( notice how I left out number)..... as much as I hate to say this.....he`s the only rb I would take over OL in first rd and not feel stupid...ish. :)
PS. Henry doesn`t rely on 4 ` wide holes to kick butt either. Watch his tapes or gms if you havent already. Beast also.

I have now just started watching some of the games of guys I have heard mentioned with the Broncos. I don't like to start too early as a lot of times the games they do have of these guys is last year and well college obviously players can take huge leaps from one year to the next so like to wait for this year's games to come out. I don't watch a ton of college football throughout the year. My wife likes one day where we are both off that isn't completely taken over by football. So it is either watch the Broncos and the NFL or watch college football. This is why I love sites like draftbreakdown.com where they just focus on the plays of that player and highlight them on any given play. So instead of a 2-3 hour game I have a 6-10 minute clip of just them. I'll have to go watch Henry sometime today. Last I read he is a lot like Eddie Lacy in that back bruising type back. Not sure how that works in the ZBS where you need just a bit more speed to get to the edge then cut it back.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to go watch Henry sometime today. Last I read he is a lot like Eddie Lacy in that back bruising type back. Not sure how that works in the ZBS where you need just a bit more speed to get to the edge then cut it back.

Also, 'Bama RBs have not been having the greatest time in the NFL the last few years. Same with Wisconsin RBs. Makes me think they are products of the system.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, 'Bama RBs have not been having the greatest time in the NFL the last few years. Same with Wisconsin RBs. Makes me think they are products of the system.

I actually think Mark Engram is having a pretty good year for New Orleans with averaging 4.6 yards per carry and I think over a thousand yards in total offense. Lacy was actually pretty darn good until he got fat. So I think at least Bama backs have shown some skills. Again have to go watch the guy. It is why I like Elliot in the 1st round though in Ohio State really hasn't had a great OL in his time with them yet he still finds a way to produce. He is constantly making guys miss.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have and always will be hesitant with rbs coming from big powerhouse schools because of the amazing talent that surrounds these backs. What I watch for is how these backs look vs lesser talent and how often they are contacted on their highlight reels. I do the same when they play vs stronger defensive teams and look at those clips and well. To me you want to study rbs that play for lesser talented offenses and how they play vs stronger competition. For example, if the rb (Jones) from Temple rushes for 100 + yds vs Ohio St, he deserves a look in my book. I like to see how they run and perform in traffic more than I care if they have blazing speed as they run for 75 yds and never touched. That`s why you need to watch Henry. Not only is he a beast in traffic with great power ( legs never stop moving) he still possesses great speed and acceleration outside and thru the holes. Have to admit I haven`t seen as much tape/highlights of Elliot as I did last yr but I was very impressed with him then. Perrine is another I like but also need to see more of.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@randymon Well I have now watched both Ezekiel Elliot and your boy from Bama and I'm still on the Elliot train. The Bama boy even for how big he is doesn't have the power that I was thinking he would. I saw plenty of arm tackles take him down. When he has a hole he can definitely hit it with better speed than I thought he would have but I think his height actually hurts him in he doesn't have the low center of gravity to keep upright in a pile. Elliot though I just watched some of his games where he would have only maybe 3-4 carries the entire game where the first guy to make contact actually made the tackle. He had a wide range of moves where I saw him juke, spin, and even pile drive through guys. I do worry though that Elliot wouldn't be the best fit for the Broncos in he does like to dance in the backfield. He actually reminds me of LeSean McCoy of the Bills.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more on the Ezekiel train then Derrick Henry train as well.

Henry should win the heisman and for a big guy he can move, but Elliot is such an all around RB. I love that guy! I would be a little worried about Henry suffering lower body injuries because everyone is gonna aim for his legs to bring him down. He is a great RB, but I just like Elliot a bit more at the next level.

Last edited:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No really into draft talk half way through the season but I will say for the non KFFLers wait till the combine and full draft mode starts up and you will see DC and some others from KFFL shine. Not sure what the draft talk was before but pretty sure you guys will be very impressed with the draft knowledge that came over from KFFL.

Looking forward to it later next year

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No really into draft talk half way through the season but I will say for the non KFFLers wait till the combine and full draft mode starts up and you will see DC and some others from KFFL shine. Not sure what the draft talk was before but pretty sure you guys will be very impressed with the draft knowledge that came over from KFFL.

Looking forward to it later next year

Very excited for that added dynamic. It honestly goes pretty quiet around here during the off season other than a few of us. I am one of those that the off season is sometimes some of my favorite time of year in just figuring out how to better our team and look at all these draft prospects. So there is probably nobody more excited about others being a part of that time of year than me on this board.

Also just so some of you new guys know we do actually have what is a mock draft competition. Across the entire board they will have somebody represent every team and we will do something like a 2 week draft. You get an hour to make your pick before you get skipped. You don't have to represent the Broncos as you can represent any team you like. @randymon and I have been the Broncos the last 2 years and in my opinion have done pretty good.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The RB who fits our system the best and I feel we will have our eyes on is Utah RB Davontae Booker.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The RB who fits our system the best and I feel we will have our eyes on is Utah RB Davontae Booker.
I could be wrong but I think I saw that he might be gone for rest of season. Torn meniscus. Could be another back from Utah. Not positive. I know whoever it was, he was leading team. Bummer though.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@randymon Well I have now watched both Ezekiel Elliot and your boy from Bama and I'm still on the Elliot train. The Bama boy even for how big he is doesn't have the power that I was thinking he would. I saw plenty of arm tackles take him down. When he has a hole he can definitely hit it with better speed than I thought he would have but I think his height actually hurts him in he doesn't have the low center of gravity to keep upright in a pile. Elliot though I just watched some of his games where he would have only maybe 3-4 carries the entire game where the first guy to make contact actually made the tackle. He had a wide range of moves where I saw him juke, spin, and even pile drive through guys. I do worry though that Elliot wouldn't be the best fit for the Broncos in he does like to dance in the backfield. He actually reminds me of LeSean McCoy of the Bills.
Wow really? Never seen him go down easy but he does run upright. Same as Eric Dickerson. :). Like them both and can't wait to dive into draft talks and look at more prospects at all positions and of course...always talkin draft with my Bud :)

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure our talks with Cleveland have gone completely dead yet. I could see us revisiting that, especially if they are willing to take our last offer. I may be wrong and it may be too little too late, but I'm not ruling it out. I also doubt we look at RB early in next year's draft. Kubes is from the Shanny school of "I'll plug in any old 6th round RB and turn him into a 1K yard rusher."

As for a QB, I think we have to see what we have in Oz before we spend any pick before the 3rd round on a QB. And by see what we have, I mean give him the off season to be "the man" and take 1st team reps and let us see what he can do. I think his play will give him that shot anyway and hopefully will keep us in the playoffs, giving us an interesting decision when that time comes.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget - what's his name - the 3rd stringer QB - he looked good in preseason. Trevor Siemian. I think the Broncos have serious expectations for that guy.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget - what's his name - the 3rd stringer QB - he looked good in preseason. Trevor Siemian. I think the Broncos have serious expectations for that guy.
Might just find out just how good sooner than we would want if Oz gets banged up. Knock on wood.:)

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the draft it honestly depends who we bring back and who we don't. The DL has a ton of guys up after this season. We are looking at Malik, Wolfe, and Smith all being gone after this season. My guess is we resign at least one of them but still that leaves a major hole then in the starting DL. So I could see us going in that direction. We will also have some major decisions to make at ILB with Trevathan for sure a FA.

The OL we have used quite a bit of draft value to help this position with 4 picks in the past 2 drafts devoted to this position plus guys like Mathis, Harris, Polumbus, and others brought in through FA. Now FA wise honestly there is not going to be a ton of help for the OL. Interior wise you are looking at Mathis and Wiz2 (the Raiders ex-Center) as the two big names for this next year. Alex Boone maybe can be added to that list. I wouldn't mind us going after Wiz2 to add some quality depth and compete for a starting spot at LG or Center. RT has some bigger names that honestly I could see us going after in Andre Smith (they just drafted his replacement in Cincy), Riley Reiff (having a bad year but I think in the right system could bounce back), and Don Barclay. At LT there is Okung (who could fit our system but will be too expensive in my opinion), Donald Penn (playing really well but is 32 and built more for a power system).

All of that to say I do think we will have to lean a lot on our draft picks the last couple of years for the OL and hope they develop or really hope that Clady comes back and plays like his old All-Pro self. That also gives us the ability to spend our FA money on the defense to keep it together. The core of that group is just getting ready to go into their prime. WE could be looking at a 3 year run with a top-3 defense (barring injuries of course).

One thing you are overlooking in the resigning of players is that there very well could be around $30 mil available come next year. Do you really expect us to bring Manning back? With Schofield starting to look better and Sambrailo on the roster and adding a swing tackle in the mid rounds or through free agency the coming year and the line having a chance to work together prior to the first couple of games could do wonders. Clady might be let go too or at the least if I am Elway, I tell him take a restructure or you are gone. He is too much resource to be sitting on the bench 2 out of the past 3 years to give him the kind of money that is currently on the table for him.

You then have to figure in strength and conditioning for the you OL, they will all develop and improve. I am amazed that people forget that it takes both OL and DL a few years in order to develop. A lot of this is not because of technique either, it is that these kids just have not developed their bodies enough to develop the strength yet to play well on the lines. It takes a few years of NFL strength and conditioning to develop what they need to be able to compete and play, especially the lighter guys. So giving up on guys like Paradis and Shofield already is a waste of the resources we put into those guys. I am not saying do not bring in people to compete, but counting them out right now and not giving them the chance to develop further is just wasteful.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing you are overlooking in the resigning of players is that there very well could be around $30 mil available come next year. Do you really expect us to bring Manning back? With Schofield starting to look better and Sambrailo on the roster and adding a swing tackle in the mid rounds or through free agency the coming year and the line having a chance to work together prior to the first couple of games could do wonders. Clady might be let go too or at the least if I am Elway, I tell him take a restructure or you are gone. He is too much resource to be sitting on the bench 2 out of the past 3 years to give him the kind of money that is currently on the table for him.

You then have to figure in strength and conditioning for the you OL, they will all develop and improve. I am amazed that people forget that it takes both OL and DL a few years in order to develop. A lot of this is not because of technique either, it is that these kids just have not developed their bodies enough to develop the strength yet to play well on the lines. It takes a few years of NFL strength and conditioning to develop what they need to be able to compete and play, especially the lighter guys. So giving up on guys like Paradis and Shofield already is a waste of the resources we put into those guys. I am not saying do not bring in people to compete, but counting them out right now and not giving them the chance to develop further is just wasteful.

Oh I have been saying from the beginning that I think Manning and Clady are for sure gone. Ware could even be gone say this back issue continues to be a problem plus the emergence of Barrett and I do think our 1st round pick Shane Ray has shown glimpses so I think we could be set at the pass rush position then devote Ware's money towards securing Von long term.

OL wise I did say I think we will lean on our draft picks. You bring in those guys for a reason. Throw in the starting experience they are getting this year for Paradis and Schofield I definitely could see the team deciding to just move forward with those guys then have Sambrailo at the LT spot. I do think we still draft somebody in the early rounds for the OL as we do have Mathis most likely gone after this year and honestly Vasquez just doesn't look right. Time to at least start looking for his replacement. Even say we do keep Vasquez and Mathis still need to find another to go along with Garcia for the back up spot. We seem to keep trying to find that one more player for the OL this year.

You are right hard to tell right now what the team will do. We will have plenty of options of how we can spend our money. We can keep devoting huge chunks to the defense with resigning Wolfe, Jackson, and Miller. Or say we let one of those guys walk and try to bring in a veteran OL player or RB. I mean I could see us going after guys like Doug Martin, Matt Forte, or Chris Ivory depending on the value put on them.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Teams need to give these college lineman more time to develop and learn. Look at NE. They do that extremely well. That's why when one of their starters go down,the next guy up is usually a guy that's been with them for a few yrs and comes in and they don't miss a beat hardly. Denver still needs to draft O line, keep most guys they have now, let them get better and give the new guys time to develop. I would just look at Patriots and follow their lead. Works for them

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oz finishes regular season depending on his play will factor more in 16 OL plans. Oz isn't a complete statue like PFM is so I think our line problems might not be as much as a priority in 16 we'll see.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oz finishes regular season depending on his play will factor more in 16 OL plans. Oz isn't a complete statue like PFM is so I think our line problems might not be as much as a priority in 16 we'll see.

I would say more than Osweiler it will be the run game. The coaches will probably be looking to see if the OL can actually grow and show improvement more in this area than anything else. So far it has been a huge mixed bag with more bad than good. Kubiak's offense depends a lot on the OL to have a very consistent run game to go.