• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brent Venables

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bumping a 4 year old thread

The post was so believable, I didn't even look.

dates are really hard to see on the phone too. That will be my excuse.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's the member representing the 4th Congressional District in South Carolina in the House of Representatives.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Venables running the defense you could always count on OU having at least two games every year when the offense needed to score 50 to win. And it could happen at any time....not just against a team that was expected to play OU hard. It happened against horrible Baylor teams and other weak offenses. It was absolutely miserable wondering which defense was going to show up every game.

Well that basically happened Saturday night.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Mike Stoops takes a job in the SEC or ACC he'll become "brilliant" again.
Obviously

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he's doing all right in whatever occupies his time these days, and I'm sure he never looked back at the shit jobs he had before his current job.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember this guy? Like 5-6 years ago he was all the rage of the next big time head coach in college football...what he is doing now?

He is kicking the Sooners ass every time we play Clemson. Sooners might not like it, but it is what it is.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated seeing him go. His defensive philosophy was the front 7. The Stoops brothers, the back 7. IT ALL starts upfront, PERIOD! Brent was our best recruiter defensively and it has shown. He was gaining ground with Bob about the front 7 but when DUMBASS Brother Mike showed up. Everything went to shit.

I read one of my OU brethern actually said Brent sucked at recruiting. He was consider one of the TOP recruiters in the country at OU and still is.

The only games Brent had any trouble with and so does EVERY defensive coordinator. Is a great dual threat QB.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember this guy? Like 5-6 years ago he was all the rage of the next big time head coach in college football...what he is doing now?

uhh, he sucks.
he sucked in the past
he sucks right now
he'll suck in the future.

don't remember any of what you are talking about.

venables took the Oklahoma defense from 'bend and not break', to 'break and then snap'.

i'm so glad he went to clemson

Brent Vulnerables?

He killed our recruiting....

With Venables running the defense you could always count on OU having at least two games every year when the offense needed to score 50 to win. And it could happen at any time....not just against a team that was expected to play OU hard. It happened against horrible Baylor teams and other weak offenses. It was absolutely miserable wondering which defense was going to show up every game.

I sat in the drizzle at Columbia, Missouri and saw one of the weakest gameplans/non-adjustments I've ever seen in my 40 years of watching football. Did you see those splits?

Dude had some good moments, but really...

giphy.gif

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venebles and Stoops were like oil and water. I don’t think he was ever 100% on the same page as those two. Plus, Bob was starting to get lazy with the program around that time too with regards to recruiting and just general complacency. Never mind the nepotism. Seeing how bad it really was in hindsight I don’t blame Venables one bit for getting the fuck out. He was always going to play second fiddle to that clown.

That being said, Venables walked into a better situation at Clemson. He and Dabo are 100% on the same page and he’s right in the middle of some of the best recruiting grounds for some of the hardest to find positions like DT. He’s also adjusted his style a bit since his OU days but that’s not unexpected. I have nothing but good vibes for him. I hope Grinch can be something similar for us.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BV is a MUCH better fit with Dabo at CU than with Stoops at OU. That makes all of the difference. That said, once he left Norman it became painfully obvious that the problem with the OU D was NOT Venables.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venebles and Stoops were like oil and water. I don’t think he was ever 100% on the same page as those two. Plus, Bob was starting to get lazy with the program around that time too with regards to recruiting and just general complacency. Never mind the nepotism. Seeing how bad it really was in hindsight I don’t blame Venables one bit for getting the fuck out. He was always going to play second fiddle to that clown.

That being said, Venables walked into a better situation at Clemson. He and Dabo are 100% on the same page and he’s right in the middle of some of the best recruiting grounds for some of the hardest to find positions like DT. He’s also adjusted his style a bit since his OU days but that’s not unexpected. I have nothing but good vibes for him. I hope Grinch can be something similar for us.
Summary: Our defense sucks and we can’t figure out how to fix it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summary: Our defense sucks and we can’t figure out how to fix it.

It’s in process, but we’ve got a pretty good idea exactly why. On the other hand, your defense only sucks when you face a competent offense. Which is about twice a year. Funny how your defense got abused when they ran into Riley’s buzz saw.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude seems like a good coach with a lot of energy. But he went from facing B12 offenses to facing ACC ones. There isn’t some magic bean that’s made him successful at Clemson.