• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking down the Breakdowns - Barrows

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
August 28, 2011

49ers-Texans: Breaking down the breakdowns
The 49ers' offensive line was worse against the Houston Texans than it was against the New Orleans Saints. At least in the Saints game, the team had two excuses: 1.) It was the first game of the preseason and the 49ers offense simply hadn't spent a lot of time together. 2.) The Saints pounded the offensive line with blitzes, sending six and seven players on just about every pass play.

Neither excuse was available in Saturday's 30-7 to Houston. The Texans mostly rushed the same four linemen on every play and they simply beat the 49ers on one-on-one matchups. The 49ers made Antonio Smith, a guy who has never had more than 5 ½ sacks in seven seasons, look like the second coming of Michael Strahan. Meanwhile, the captain of the offensive line, Joe Staley, couldn't handle 260-pound defensive end-linebacker Connor Barwin.
Here's a hit-by-hit look at the 49ers breakdowns.

1Q
3rd and 5 at SF 40. The Texans rush four. Joe Staley seems to be expecting Barwin to use a speed move around the edge. Instead Barwin staggers the left tackle with his inside hand and drives him into Smith for the sack and a loss of six yards. The mistake is that Staley allows Barwin to get his hands into Staley's body before Staley can do the same to him.

2Q
2nd and 1 at SF 29. The Texans rush four. Left guard Mike Iupati initially blocks down on defensive tackle Shaun Cody before realizing that Antonio Smith his blowing past him to his left. He sacks Alex Smith for a six-yard loss. Staley, meanwhile, is left blocking no one, an indication that communication issues were once again a problem between Staley and Iupati. Meanwhile on the other side, Mario Williams gets past Anthony Davis and would have sacked, or at least hit, Alex Smith if Antonio Smith hadn't.

3rd and 8 at SF 22. The Texans rush four. This time Antonio Smith is on the other side. He goes low past Adam Snyder, who is at right guard, and crashes into Alex Smith's left leg as he throws. The sideline throw to Ted Ginn is on target but Ginn is unable to get both feet in bounds. The 49ers have to punt.

3rd and 2 at SF 41. The Texans rush four. Mario Williams is called for roughing the passer on the play, but it's really Barwin who lays the bigger hit on Colin Kaepernick, who has now entered the game for Alex Smith. Barwin, who used a power move on Staley earlier, catches Staley flat-footed and goes around him to the inside. Meanwhile, Williams leaps over Kendall Hunter on the other side, arriving at Kaepernick at the same time as Barwin. A few years ago, the play would have been a five-yard sack. The 49ers are bailed out by the roughing-the-passer call.

1st and 10 at HST 47. The Texans rush five. Jim Harbaugh sends Alex Smith back into the game with 29 seconds left in the half. Antonio Smith gets past Chilo Rachal, who is back at right guard, forcing Alex Smith to step forward in the pocket. Meanwhile, linebacker Brian Cushing blitzes on the play from the same size. Right tackle Alex Boone picks up Cushing but allows the linebacker to get around him and Cushing hits Alex Smith as he throws. The ball is incomplete.

2nd and 10 at HST 47. The Texans rush four. Center Jonathan Goodwin is one on one with Antonio Smith but can't handle him. He plows into Smith mid-delivery and the ball is easily intercepted by free safety Troy Nolan. Meanwhile, Staley is overpowered by Barwin, who crashes into Smith for good measure.

**Bonus lapse**. Another negative play occurred on first down of the first series Kaepernick led. He handed off to Anthony Dixon, who was cut down by defensive end JJ Watt for a two-yard loss. Right tackle Anthony Davis was supposed to block Watt on the play, but Watt, a rookie, got inside of Davis and shot in to make the tackle.

-- Matt Barrows

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just terrible. all these high draft picks and every one of them is sucking and fucking up. I dont get it. Is it coaching are we really that bad at drafting lineman?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just terrible. all these high draft picks and every one of them is sucking and fucking up. I dont get it. Is it coaching are we really that bad at drafting lineman?

I was thinking about this last night. I just don't know. Our guys seem to be physically talented enough, but they just can't make plays. I can't believe how bad our OL continues to be after we've used so many high picks on it. As Barrows notes, last night was particularly worrisome because these weren't blitzes or anything fancy on the whole. Our guys were just straight-up outplayed.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Our guys seem to be physically talented enough, but they just can't make plays.

I don't agree with that. There's not enough physical talent on the DL, at CB, WR & probably WR. And at a couple of LB positions.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just terrible. If Davis doesn't improve then you have to wonder what we will end up doing with him. Same with Staley, all though i think moving him back to RT makes more sense then trading or releasing him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Our guys seem to be physically talented enough, but they just can't make plays.

I don't agree with that. There's not enough physical talent on the DL, at CB, WR & probably WR. And at a couple of LB positions.

I was talking specifically about the OL, not the entire team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's just terrible. If Davis doesn't improve then you have to wonder what we will end up doing with him. Same with Staley, all though i think moving him back to RT makes more sense then trading or releasing him.

Re: Davis, I think he could be a pretty good OG if he doesn't pan out at tackle. Granted that would be a pretty big blow given where we drafted him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The offensive line is just baffling to me.

A lot of what I've seen is mainly just sloppy basic technique which is ingrained in you from high school on. If they could get that cleaned up and some of the communication issues than I think they'll be alright

Hopefully every one of those guys will spend extra time after practice working on the basics and that their will be a greater emphasis on the basics in practice this week to drill it in their thick skulls.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Davis, I think he could be a pretty good OG if he doesn't pan out at tackle. Granted that would be a pretty big blow given where we drafted him.

That's actually not a bad idea. I really like what we have seen from Kilgore so far, and i'm really not sure what we are going to do with Rachal, but the real concern right now has to be on the Tackles. They are all playing bad, but especially the OT's IMO.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plays getting blown up not good and it will put more pressure on the Defense and STs.. Go 49ers!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for me the question isn't if this O-line will be good, its when? Davis can improve the most if only because his floor is so low? Iupati is also entering year 2, when players typically take a good step up.

not sure Rachal will ever get an NFL quality RG, but he's in his best physical shape.

not claiming they'll be an 'elite Unit', but expecting they'll be good sometime this year.