• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking Down the 3-3-5…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller's Pass Rush: Breaking Down the 3-3-5 - Blue Gold Sports

I thought there would be a little more X's and O's in the article, but a few nuggets stood out for me.

Since its start at WVU, I have admittedly not been a fan of this defense. A few of the problems I have with it include the lack of familiarity with it among high school football players… the difficulty in learning the defense… the difficulty in getting an effective pass rush.

From the article…

"Next is the knowledge of the game of football. The 3-3-5 is not a common defense in high school. The majority of high school teams either run the 4-3 or the 3-4 defense since they are both easy to teach and learn."

"The final aspect that makes the 3-3-5 a success is experience. Any team with experienced players will usually have success. What makes experience in the 3-3-5 so important is that many of the positions are very difficult for freshmen to understand.

I watched players struggle to understand their position and roles at a young age, only to completely dominate and take control as a junior or senior."

"recruiting the type of players that can mentally handle the stress of learning something not simply new, but they have likely never seen before. It comes from getting players that are willing to be patient and take the right steps to learn the defense including their roles as a part of it."

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeigh used to argue with me on these points Miller addressed in his article.

I've often wondered if having the 3-3-5 affected our chances at getting top defensive prospects. I understand the mentality part he mentions…. however… I think it is hard to be consistent without depth.

It will be interesting to see how this defense thrives now that depth is built. Replacing departing seniors and upperclassmen to graduation or early departure to the NFL with experienced upperclassmen may allow this defense to stay strong… and avoid those huge drop-offs we saw in the past.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we were in the BE, I hated the 3-3-5. The players need to always be in the right position and we seemed to always get abused by tight ends and crossing patterns. Back in those days, we had the best athletes and players but mental mistakes cost us many games. Going man up, a 3-4 or 4-3 would have worked better in those days.

Now we are like we were when RR first put in the 3-3-5, that is smaller up front than our opponents. We just don't have the power on the D-line to go up against Oklahoma, Texas and Baylor. The 3-3-5 works to free up a LB or safety to counter the run game and it allows the D to replace a Big strong guy with a athletic safety. Also in the pass happy B12, that extra safety can become extremely important.

As the article states, the 3-3-5 is great when you have experienced guys playing it. As we get turnover, expect good years and bad years for the D depending on how the players have learned the system. It also allows to be effective with a size disadvantage.

If we ever get to recruit 3-4 NFL type D lineman, I would prefer to go back to a simpler 3-4 or 4-3 allignment.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the 3-3-5, don't think its a defense that will win a NC and I don't think we will ever be what we want to be on defense until its gone. Our defense was better last year no question about it but when teams like Bama,OU,A&M ect. needed to run the ball, they did...very well. The pass rush was non existent at times last year too. I HOPE our experience and new additions get this defense to the next level. We will know soon enough.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the 3-3-5, don't think its a defense that will win a NC and I don't think we will ever be what we want to be on defense until its gone. Our defense was better last year no question about it but when teams like Bama,OU,A&M ect. needed to run the ball, they did...very well. The pass rush was non existent at times last year too. I HOPE our experience and new additions get this defense to the next level. We will know soon enough.

I respectfully disagree. the 3-3-5 is a great defense to use when we play teams that have NFL talent up front. Take our best and biggest DL guys and put them in a 4-3 against Bama. Replace that guy who will be easily blocked with a fast safety in the 3-3-5 and we actually have a better chance at stopping the run.

RR implemented the 3-3-5 after a year of not being able to stop the run. Smaller faster guys were able to be in position against the dominant lines of Miami and VT and the run defense actually improved greatly. It is really about being in the right position and making the right reads that make the 3-3-5 a success. Nose guard is the key position in this D. When we have had a stout Nose and good experience, the 3-3-5 has been great. Without experience, players in the wrong position can make the D look like swiss cheese.

The 3-3-5 fits our personnel better than other alignments. If we were to make the playoffs, the 3-3-5 will be a big part of the success.

Jeighmonee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've often wondered if having the 3-3-5 affected our chances at getting top defensive prospects. I understand the mentality part he mentions…. however… I think it is hard to be consistent without depth.

It will be interesting to see how this defense thrives now that depth is built. Replacing departing seniors and upperclassmen to graduation or early departure to the NFL with experienced upperclassmen may allow this defense to stay strong… and avoid those huge drop-offs we saw in the past.

It's nice to still get mentioned after all this time! :yes:

Hope you're all doing well:suds:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its my opinion...of course...but I think that what Miller says is esentially correct I would disagree to a point..I Don't think Rich's staff were especially good at recruiting..example..Bill Kirelawich may have been an excellent on field DL coach..I don't think he was wowing a recruit in a living room...same could be said for a Calvin Magee..or Casteel for that matter..

But I do agree that if a HS Coach has told a kid what he can or can't do at the next level plays into it as well..Or maybe the kid beleives that he has to have off the charts statistics to get drafted instead of being a great technique player...which at the end of the day really is what the pros want..plays into it...and the reality is if schools show they have better success getting kids at a down lineman postiton to the pros that plays into it as well...because outside of that I think its fair to say Wv has begun to put several middle to back end players in pro camps either drafted or FA...becuase as Miller points out tthat WV players have high football IQ...

As I have said before the 3-3 is really no different in scheme as the 3-4...the advantage to me is you give up a little size on the edge and in return you play faster....its what you beleive in...Wv needs space eaters up front and I gotta beleive its hard to convince a HS STAR..that will be his role for 4 years unless he's a freak athlete..But that has to be the focus going forward..they need 3 350Lb Bulls to put pressure on the the 3 interrior O-linemen and this defense will be unstopplable..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibby was the main recruiter for Rich. I forget the actual percentage, but the majority of players who starred for WVU during the greatest 3 year run in WVU football history were Gibby's recruits.

You are correct… Coach K and Casteel were not known as recruiters.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibby was the main recruiter for Rich. I forget the actual percentage, but the majority of players who starred for WVU during the greatest 3 year run in WVU football history were Gibby's recruits.

You are correct… Coach K and Casteel were not known as recruiters.
I just think the Coaches that Dana has now are leaps and bounds better than Rich's posse!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely agree!