• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandon McManus Released

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he not as good as I thought he was?

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of years ago I would’ve been shocked, but for his salary only making 77% of your field goals last year just isn’t acceptable.

But they must have their eye on someone else as cutting a kicker in May without having anyone else on the roster is a weird move.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bit of a shock, but he wasn't great last year. I bet he has a very good year for another team this next year though. Hope they have a good plan to replace as that is a big hole.

This is pure speculation but I think McManus has a bit of an attitude in the locker room and Payton probably didn't like it from a kicker.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read some articles that there is some special math that would allow the Broncos to dump Russ this season while still being under the cap, but it would mean that they would have to cut other players to make it work. An easy cut to help this math out is an expensive kicker. Who else is Denver looking to have take over? Are they wanting to have a kicker competition with UDFA's? Are they looking to resign McManus for a cheaper deal? Or is this a move to help purge themselves of Russ?

The timing of this cut now is odd. Why not keep him around through training camp and make him a part of an open competition? Is there financial benefits by cutting him now vs. during training camp?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read some articles that there is some special math that would allow the Broncos to dump Russ this season while still being under the cap, but it would mean that they would have to cut other players to make it work. An easy cut to help this math out is an expensive kicker. Who else is Denver looking to have take over? Are they wanting to have a kicker competition with UDFA's? Are they looking to resign McManus for a cheaper deal? Or is this a move to help purge themselves of Russ?

The timing of this cut now is odd. Why not keep him around through training camp and make him a part of an open competition? Is there financial benefits by cutting him now vs. during training camp?

I'd much rather see Russell Wilson succeed but honestly no matter the cost if he has a repeat of last season he needs to warming up a bench. Not all blockbuster trades work out, but a team has got to try so even if doesn't work out you can't fault the Broncos for being all in. What I don't understand is the contract extension before they even saw his play.

As for McManus, he hasn't been McMoney for a long time. But he costs a lot. So the timing is curious but I am fine with it. This Broncos team is not a contender in 2023 and you can likely find someone who can replicate McManus' production or come pretty close. Better to drop 1 or 2 games this year to a missed FG or PAT than next year when expectations begin to built.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We did sign two tertiary players yesterday. An OT and a DT. May be that simple.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather see Russell Wilson succeed but honestly no matter the cost if he has a repeat of last season he needs to warming up a bench. Not all blockbuster trades work out, but a team has got to try so even if doesn't work out you can't fault the Broncos for being all in. What I don't understand is the contract extension before they even saw his play.

As for McManus, he hasn't been McMoney for a long time. But he costs a lot. So the timing is curious but I am fine with it. This Broncos team is not a contender in 2023 and you can likely find someone who can replicate McManus' production or come pretty close. Better to drop 1 or 2 games this year to a missed FG or PAT than next year when expectations begin to built.
Yeah, the extension has me scratching my head when it happened and mumbling under my breath mid-season.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was McManus the last of the SB 50ers? Think so.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did sign two tertiary players yesterday. An OT and a DT. May be that simple.
Yeah, could be. What were the contract values? If I recall correctly, only the top X amount of salaries count against the cap, so unless those were something other than league minimum contracts, those signings shouldn't count against the cap. Also, you don't have to be under the cap until a certain point prior to the season starting, which means the Broncos don't have to cut anyone know in order to sign others.