• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. UCLA, Tuesday 12/31/13 @2pm EST on CBS

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vtscoop havin a meltdown?

Um yeah...you could say that. It is borderline fucking ridiculous how some fans act. They take a bad loss so fucking personal. Like it is their livelihood. To bash the man who made VT football and call out his job. Give me a fucking break. What pitiful lives they have.

VT gift wrapped 14 points to a team that was obviously a better team to begin with. VT was an underdog for reason and rightfully so. They have a 1st rounder (Top10) pick at QB, OLB, and a future one in Jack. I hate the way things went after LT left the game and in particular in the 2nd half. The wheels just came off. It happens.

I hope all of LT hater/Leal homers are ready for next year and life w/out LT...because judging from today, the QB position ain't lookin too good for next year.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the game in no order:

-I'll have two scoops of Allie LaForce please. Mmmmm

-Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson have slipped with age but they were absolutely horrid today to the point where I thought they must have been drinking. They screwed up so many names, numbers, plays etc on both sides. It was so bad that if I were a CBS producer, I would have just cut their mics and told them to retire immediately.

-Figured we'd get killed (we did eventually) but I was surprised the game was close for most of it. Neither team played particularly well and it seemed both sides had each other figured out for the most part.

-I liked what I saw from Leal prior to his 1st INT. He made some good throws, showed good mobility (and when to move) and I saw him go through his progressions and make the right decisions. Then he made a poor decision trying to throw it away that led to his 1st INT. Apparently that totally scared him. Because afterwards, he was a mess. His throws were off target, he missed open checkdowns, and that 2nd INT was bad. He either didn't see the LB or badly underthrew it. The best news is there's now meaningful game film on him now. The coaches can use that to help him get better and as a tool for improvement going into the QB competition this offseason. And it should be a competition. IMO, seniority only guarantees your spot on the depth chart at the beginning of camp. You have to earn it at the end. That goes for every position.

-Injuries really hamstrung the offense. Loeffler did a good job manufacturing some running yards with creative plays but we badly needed Edmunds for some easy ground and pound yards. And it really hurt the pass game with Cline getting hurt. He's such a big target for us over the middle considering we have no outside guys that can create space. It's a minor victory we even moved the ball at times considering.

-Speaking of Cline, what's his injury? I guessed torn meniscus. Looked like he hurt himself while in motion presnap. I figure no way he could play if he tore an ACL (unless his pain tolerance is nuts) but I've seen guys try to gut out a meniscus.

-I'll be shocked if Joel Caleb doesn't transfer. Even with all the injuries, he didn't get snaps till the game was over. With more high profile RB recruits coming, I just don't see a future for him.

-Scheme-wise, defense looked ok. Execution was terrible. Lots of missed tackles from guys who should know better. Secondary had a weak game overall too across the board. They got beat a ton and were often bailed out because Hundley missed throws. They should feel upset.

-Hate to see LT end his career with an injury even if getting Leal playing is probably the best thing for the program. The NCAA needs to reexamine the "targeting" rule. Either toss guys or don't. The guy led with his shoulder, but he aimed at the head/neck area. The guy's helmet hit LT right in the face. The way they explained it before the season, that's targeting. The head/neck area is off limits. If its the NFL, the player is getting a hefty fine. I'm not bitter. And I doubt if the outcome would have been much different (LT didn't look good passing today). I'm just saying the rule is too cloudy. Clean it up or get rid of it.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call it sour grapes or whatever, but #35 is nothing but a straight up thug. I thought the hit on LT was dirty. Many players have been ejected this year for much less. But there were two or three other plays he led with his head and one when he hit Leal late with no flags thrown. If it were me, I would have been chop blocking his thug ass until he got a dose of his own medicine.
And what is it with PAC 12 coaches running up the score? Harbaugh did it and Mora did it today, too. That late bomb was bush league. Hundley would have left the field on a damn stretcher if I was coaching after that.
I don't expect anybody to agree with me. I really don't care. Just my two cents.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Call it sour grapes or whatever, but #35 is nothing but a straight up thug. I thought the hit on LT was dirty. Many players have been ejected this year for much less. But there were two or three other plays he led with his head and one when he hit Leal late with no flags thrown. If it were me, I would have been chop blocking his thug ass until he got a dose of his own medicine.
And what is it with PAC 12 coaches running up the score? Harbaugh did it and Mora did it today, too. That late bomb was bush league. Hundley would have left the field on a damn stretcher if I was coaching after that.
I don't expect anybody to agree with me. I really don't care. Just my two cents.

Agreed. Some unnecessary roughness there, and clearly running up the score at the end.

Clearly should be remembered for what it is.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least this happened:

Also Trollgon Thomas putting his helmet on and faking everyone out like he was going in.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He straight up hit JC helmet to helmet but no ref saw it.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really wish we would coulda seen the outcome with LT playing the full game....people can bitch about him all day long, but facts are facts, with him in the game, it gives us a chance to win. take him out, you also lose the vast majority of our offense over the past two years. No disrespect towards Leal, but for all those folks calling for LT to be benched, I think it became obvious that all of us who said that the coaches know better than we do were, in fact, correct

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEY NEW GUY!!!! Welcome to the board!!!!

wait, you've been around since May 2011? You should really post moar, we don't bite.

(except for 757, you have to watch out for him)

chomp.gif

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think we will miss LT next year. I wish him well and am probably in the minority in thinking he will be a good pro in time.

I was probably a little bit hard on Leal the other day. I think he could be a serviceable QB next year. But one thing is for sure...the O will have to run the ball ALOT better to help him out. He looks to throw a nice short and intermediate routes with some touch that LT didn't have. But he doesn't seem to have a super strong arm (evidenced by the 2nd INT??) nor a tremendous amount of speed or wiggle. We'll see next year. I hope he does well.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree completely

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Like it or not, LT was our best offensive player. Edmunds and Cline, both in the top 5ish of offensive playmakers this season, were out as well by that point. UCLA knew we had nothing left.

I'll give the team credit for still hanging on for 3 quarters. The defense struggled with those qb runs, but played aggressively knowing their burden to change the game was large. They should be hot to get back on the field. The run game was creative and effective. Leal needs some work, but on the bright side he did make use of multiple receivers and got some real game experience. He's got a starting point going into offseason competition. The series of events around the fourth quarter were unfortunate.

Still love them Hokies. Can't wait for next season.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple other comments about the game.

LT is a boss and played through so many injuries in the past 3 years you have to at least love the man that he is. Torn abs, bruised ribs, sprained ankes, broken hands and other non-reorted stuff, dude still came out and played and didn't hesitate to tuck and run right through people.

J Glock had a seriously tough assignment against Barr and Jack and did fantastically. Did he get beat now and then? Yes. Those two guys ae NFL first round linebackers, even all americans get beat by them. He is going to be the anchor of our line moving forward and did NOT play like a Freshman this year.

That jet sweep with Carlis should have been used a ton more this year because it worked against the fastest defense we have seen all season. I love that ply and think we will see a lot of it moving forward. He was hurt off and on this season so that probably is why we waited until now to use it but these are the wrinkles that I am glad we got to see in the bowl game.

UCLA is very good and loaded with top recruiting classes. 42-12 sucks but the team we played was also very very good and with LT, I think that game goes down to the wire.

Mangus looked good in his chances as well. I think the RB competition next year will be fine. I don't expect to see Edmunds back as quickly as some are saying. That was a serious leg break. If you saw the Silva leg break, this is the same but lower on the leg which is even worse. On the plus side, breaks heal much better than soft tissue damage. On the downside, it may take every bit of 6-7 months. I expect to see Marshawn play next fall.

Zubaz or whatever that diryy mother fuckers name was on UCLA may have had a "highlight" game but he wont be able to help his kids with Math homework later in life so there is that. You think with your head, dummy! What a prick.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with the comments about Zumwalt.

The guy is a super prick, and it's too bad he got that lucky pick. He plays dirty. The hit on LT wasn't super late, but it was late and unnecessary. If it had been a second later, he would have been ejected. Too bad the commentators didn't have anything else to talk about, because they heaped way too much praise on that asshole.

When he gets hurt in the NFL, and I'm guessing he will, I won't be shedding a tear for him.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple other comments about the game.

LT is a boss and played through so many injuries in the past 3 years you have to at least love the man that he is. Torn abs, bruised ribs, sprained ankes, broken hands and other non-reorted stuff, dude still came out and played and didn't hesitate to tuck and run right through people.

J Glock had a seriously tough assignment against Barr and Jack and did fantastically. Did he get beat now and then? Yes. Those two guys ae NFL first round linebackers, even all americans get beat by them. He is going to be the anchor of our line moving forward and did NOT play like a Freshman this year.

That jet sweep with Carlis should have been used a ton more this year because it worked against the fastest defense we have seen all season. I love that ply and think we will see a lot of it moving forward. He was hurt off and on this season so that probably is why we waited until now to use it but these are the wrinkles that I am glad we got to see in the bowl game.

UCLA is very good and loaded with top recruiting classes. 42-12 sucks but the team we played was also very very good and with LT, I think that game goes down to the wire.

Mangus looked good in his chances as well. I think the RB competition next year will be fine. I don't expect to see Edmunds back as quickly as some are saying. That was a serious leg break. If you saw the Silva leg break, this is the same but lower on the leg which is even worse. On the plus side, breaks heal much better than soft tissue damage. On the downside, it may take every bit of 6-7 months. I expect to see Marshawn play next fall.

Zubaz or whatever that diryy mother fuckers name was on UCLA may have had a "highlight" game but he wont be able to help his kids with Math homework later in life so there is that. You think with your head, dummy! What a prick.

The jet sweep play with Parker reminded me of the play Onterio McCalebb would often run at Auburn.

Mangus needs to bulk up...the dude bounces like a ping pong ball when he gets hit. But I like the way he fought for yards against UCLA.

Zumwalt has a history of dirty play and helmet-to-helmet hits. Surprised the refs weren't quick to flag more of his hits.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The jet sweep play with Parker reminded me of the play Onterio McCalebb would often run at Auburn.

Mangus needs to bulk up...the dude bounces like a ping pong ball when he gets hit. But I like the way he fought for yards against UCLA.

Zumwalt has a history of dirty play and helmet-to-helmet hits. Surprised the refs weren't quick to flag more of his hits.

I agree on Mangus. They need to decide on his position and stick with it too so he can get his body right. If he plans to be a slot guy, H back kick returner a few pounds would help, if he is going to be toting the rock through the tackle box he needs like 20, ha ha.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: