• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BoSox arrive in Texas for Independence Day series - July 3-5

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers All-Star Yu Darvish takes the mound on the 4th. Red Sox are playing well these days, with former Rangers great Mitch Moreland returning for the first time as an opposing player. Newest bullpen disaster Jason Grilli joins the team on Monday.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back Mitch Moreland.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CHICAGO -- Robinson Chirinos started at catcher Sunday for the second straight day.

Word of advice: You might want to get used to this.

The Rangers are apparently trying gauging the early summer trade market to see if they can turn Jonathan Lucroy into help for their beleaguered bullpen. According to two major league sources Sunday, the Rangers have begun to contact potential trade partners, letting them know they would be willing to deal Lucroy, who can be a free agent at the end of the season.

The reasoning behind such an exploration was all the clearer in Sunday's 6-5 loss to the Chicago White Sox in which Jose Leclerc gave up a two-out, two-run homer to Yolmer Sanchez. It was the Rangers' 17th blown save of the season -- the most in the majors -- and the fourth on the 10-game trip that ended Sunday. Leclerc, auditioning as an eighth-inning guy, walked Todd Frazier after getting ahead 0-2 and then hung a 1-2 breaking ball to Sanchez. It's been the story of the Rangers' season.

GM Jon Daniels did not respond to a question about Lucroy's situation with the Rangers. Lucroy said he has not requested a trade, but otherwise declined to comment.

But this is the narrow pathway through which the Rangers try to navigate on the way to a third consecutive playoff berth: With little in the way of advanced minor league prospects to deal and a gaping hole in their own bullpen, the Rangers are trying to get creative.

They have a strength: Catching depth. They are trying to leverage that to fortify a weakness: The bullpen.

Lucroy hasn't played to expectations this year, but has still been a capable major league catcher. Chirinos, on the other hand, has produced at a pace that far surpasses what he did when he was the Rangers' primary catcher in 2015 and when he was healthy in 2016. And minor leaguer Brett Nicholas has also played well at Triple-A Round Rock. He would become Chirinos' backup if the Rangers did find a deal.

What is more clear is that the Rangers' playing time situation has changed. Chirinos has started three of the last four games at catcher with Lucroy at DH in two of the games he did not start in the field. Over the past 17 games, the playing time has been almost equal with Lucroy having nine starts and Chirinos eight.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it was wise and mature of Gallo to decline the HR hitting invitation at the AS game.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moreland is hitting about 90 pts better than Nap. Plus his OBP is about 90 better, with a few more RBI. Plus, he's a much better D player than Nap.

That's if you're counting.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know since we got rid of Adrian Gonzalez, that he, along with fellow 1st baseman, Chris Davis and Justin Smoak have combined for well over 600 HRs?

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know since we got rid of Adrian Gonzalez, that he, along with fellow 1st baseman, Chris Davis and Justin Smoak have combined for well over 600 HRs?

Smoak having a breakout year 7 seasons after his debut. I can't really hold that one against the Rangers.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland is hitting about 90 pts better than Nap. Plus his OBP is about 90 better, with a few more RBI. Plus, he's a much better D player than Nap.

That's if you're counting.

I think you have to factor in the change of scenery with Moreland's stats, and if Moreland were here Gallo would be losing reps at first as well. I guess my point is that letting Moreland leave wasn't necessarily the wrong move... but signing Napoli sure does seem like it was.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoak having a breakout year 7 seasons after his debut. I can't really hold that one against the Rangers.
Me either. I was never a fan of Smoak to begin with though. And who knows if this is a breakout year or a fluke year or even a fluke half of a year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. But he had about 80 HR's before this season. Certainly not great by anyone's standard. So point taken and I'm definitely not disagreeing with ya.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But he had about 80 HR's before this season. Certainly not great by anyone's standard. So point taken and I'm definitely not disagreeing with ya.

Well, your point remains... we've let a lot of 1B offense get away over the years.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to factor in the change of scenery with Moreland's stats, and if Moreland were here Gallo would be losing reps at first as well. I guess my point is that letting Moreland leave wasn't necessarily the wrong move... but signing Napoli sure does seem like it was.

A lot of what I feel about MM is based on the contract he signed. If you remember, I defended Mitch to the nth degree for years. But after last year, I'd had enough too.

His contract is so team friendly for the Sox, plus the total collapse of Napoli, makes me wish we'd kept him on a one year deal too.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Red Sox fan has a bad feeling about this series. I am hoping I am proven wrong but we shall see. Should be a good series

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was all for letting him leave until his price went so far down. Then it didn't make sense. I think Gallo would just be in LF instead of 1B.

As far as change of scenery I think that is the case in some rare instances, but I think overall it is a way to let management off of the hook. Not that you are doing that, but I have seen other instances where I thought fans were doing that. Mitch has such an up and down career that it may just be his time to shine for awhile.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Red Sox fan has a bad feeling about this series. I am hoping I am proven wrong but we shall see. Should be a good series

Don't worry... our bullpen will make sure you guys leave with 2 of 3.