• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bob Murray GM of year

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one made no sense to be. The Ducks were the 2 seed in the west last year and the 1 seed this year so no idea why he won it. Its not like he turned a team from a non playoff team to a playoff team in one year. All hes done is built a team that chokes in the playoffs.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the playoffs don't count as has been noted. And to be fair (ugh hate being fair when the Ducks are concerned) the Ducks weren't supposed to do that well this year and they ended up winning the Division over the 2 favorites the Sharks and Kings. On top of that they ended up with the best record in the Western Conference. Lombardi more than deserves this award for the work he's done to build this Kings team. Maybe next year if the Kings can have a better regular season and not have to struggle to just make the playoffs he'll get more votes. Not that they struggled this year but they did finish 3rd in the division they were supposed to win or at least fight for the title.

Ox

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah GM awards though are also based on body of work of time it seems so im sure he will be up again next year or soon after. I think people finally get that the Kings are a regular season team. Honestly the season is just kinda whatever for them now. They won the cup twice being an 8 seed and then a 6 seed. I dont think they really care where they finish. But winning the division next year would let them avoid either San Jose or Anaheim and not have to face both.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bar Stool Bob winning was a joke.

His teams suck after April 1, and I have detailed their playoff failures over the last 7 years, 6 of them with him behind the wheel. He has assembled a solid pipeline but prospects are just that - prospects - until they prove otherwise.

He has built a team that is top heavy and lacks secondary scoring and relies on goaltending to bail them out. Sound familiar? It should - this was the Mighty Ducks' blueprint in the mid to late 1990s (Rucchin, Kariya, Teabag and Hebert/Shtalenkov) and even the fluke 2003 run. It doesn't work because they get shut down in the playoffs and no secondary scorers can step up usually.

Buy hey, it's all good. Enjoy the award, I'll enjoy a second Cup in 3 years.

=)~~

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he did make a couple of Penner.
I think those two deals should have eliminated him from consideration.
Sign Penner, ok maybe he fills a role. But cut him because of how he acts off the ice shows either you didn't do your homework or you are just making moves to make them.
Also how he handled Hiller. Can not respect that. Hiller did his best for that team and the Ducks showed him the door. Just not the way to get people. Wanting to play there.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he did make a couple of Penner.
I think those two deals should have eliminated him from consideration.
Sign Penner, ok maybe he fills a role. But cut him because of how he acts off the ice shows either you didn't do your homework or you are just making moves to make them.
Also how he handled Hiller. Can not respect that. Hiller did his best for that team and the Ducks showed him the door. Just not the way to get people. Wanting to play there.

The Penner situation was an odd one. Getzlaf told Penner the Ducks were counting on him and he needed to be more of a professional and train better. Fair enough, but you would think a professional athlete, who relies on his body to make quite a decent living, would be on board anyway (hello Michael Richards).

I didn't hear anything after that and next thing you know Penner is traded. The two schools of thought are a) he was traded because of his lack of commitment to the team (essentially what his actions say) or b) they were hot for one of the rentals (Vanek? Moulson? Gaborik? Who?) and made cap space. In the end nothing happened, so I don't think we will ever know for sure.

The Ducks have had their fair shares of less than stellar exits - Hebert, Milos Holan, Hiller, Ryan - but so have a lot of other franchises. With Hiller however, there just seemed to be some type of management dislike about the guy.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penner was at the Kings/Hawks game signing stuff.
Thought it was odd to be at that event while still a Cap (technicality ) and recently a Duck.
I think it shows, even though the Kings set him free, there are not a lot of hard feelings.
That is a sign of a good GM. Show a guy the door but remind him that it can be opened again.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penner has been backing the Kings since the playoffs started. Last night he twitted whats Kopi gotta do to win this?

I bet he comes back at some point. Maybe not as a player but he'd make a hell of a public relations guy.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to see Pancake back as a Kings in some capacity. Better than Flake.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have minded Pencakes on the 4th line and just fill in duty anywhere else. He can be good at times but most of the time its like he didn't even get out of bed for the game

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have minded Pencakes on the 4th line and just fill in duty anywhere else. He can be good at times but most of the time its like he didn't even get out of bed for the game

Although I hate the Ducks, I have to admit I loved Getzlaf getting in Penner's face about commitment--I thought he deserved it and it was excellent leadership.

Then GM of the Year (even though their goalie situation--most important position in sports--heading into the playoffs was completely unsettled) dumbass Bob Murray lets him go for basically nothing at the trade deadline to free cap space, which was never filled....lmfao