• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blades and Sharpening Them

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something else to know about sharpening, when you get close, Keeping the angle and progression from coarse to fine, there will be an almost invisible burr on the cut edge that kind of flops from side to side as you sharpen, the idea is to make that burr fall off or disappear and your knife is then as sharp as it will get, any more attempts to sharpen will just create a new burr.
(waiting to see how many people call bullshit on me)
Yep, but that also depends on the angle you are sharpening to. A very sharp angle will get more of a burr than a very obtuse angle.

Tigity

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is an older thread but thought I would add my $0.02. I make knives, as well as sharpen my own on a regular basis. I use them every day, and use them hard. Here's a couple of thoughts on the OP questions:

Yes - you can sharpen your own. You can use a stone, ceramic and even steel sharpeners but angle is extremely important. You must sharpen at the same angle with each stroke, otherwise you will end up rounding the edge or increasing the bevel.

If possible, start with a coarse medium and work your way to a fine medium.

There are many different styles of sharpeners out there to help you maintain the correct angle, such as the spyderco that was recommended earlier. For most touch up sharpening I use a small handheld sharpener with coarse (steel) and fine (ceramic) in fixed angles, pictured below. It's cheap and works well.

You can use machine sharpeners, grinders, even a dremel tool - but I caution against those if you cannot keep the angle because once you take material off you cannot put it back on. And machine methods will take material off at a higher rate than non-mechanized methods.

41ntEe5E%2B6L.jpg
That is awesome. You got a link to get one of those? Also nod I am having a hell of a time sharpening scissor and sheers. Got any advice on that (no I am not kidding or being a smartass)

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is awesome. You got a link to get one of those? Also nod I am having a hell of a time sharpening scissor and sheers. Got any advice on that (no I am not kidding or being a smartass)
An amazon link (no, I'm not an affiliate, but I should be lol). They are cheap, can probably find one at Bass Pro or even local wally world. As far as sharpening scissors.... all I know is to only sharpen one edge, sharpening the edges that slide against each other will fuck them up.

txTIGER1963

ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 417.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something else to know about sharpening, when you get close, Keeping the angle and progression from coarse to fine, there will be an almost invisible burr on the cut edge that kind of flops from side to side as you sharpen, the idea is to make that burr fall off or disappear and your knife is then as sharp as it will get, any more attempts to sharpen will just create a new burr.
(waiting to see how many people call bullshit on me)

yes sir and stainless tends to burr the most, strop time can help at the end

Tigity

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An amazon link (no, I'm not an affiliate, but I should be lol). They are cheap, can probably find one at Bass Pro or even local wally world. As far as sharpening scissors.... all I know is to only sharpen one edge, sharpening the edges that slide against each other will fuck them up.

So only the outside... Yea would certainly be easier. OK I will checkout bassproshop.com.

txTIGER1963

ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 417.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So only the outside... Yea would certainly be easier. OK I will checkout bassproshop.com.

you want to follow the factory angle on scissors and make sure screw is semi tight to keep the pressure on the blades at contact
I use a belt sander with a very fine or worn down belt, go slow with very light pressure as they usually just need a touch up. if they have a removable center screw it can make it easier to break them down and do each half as a separate piece

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at what just popped up.

Attachments

• 15459361850928455418831513453376.jpg
    15459361850928455418831513453376.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 8