• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bip will enjoy this

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just noticed that Andy Dalton threw 13 INTs on the year, which is pretty good for a rookie QB. Carson Palmer threw 16 INTs IN NINE GAMES. Hue Jackson called it the best trade in NFL history. Maybe not.

Dr.Funke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Love it vance. Love it.

you know what is crazy? Plamer had a higher QB rating than Dalton this year.

Go figure

Palmer threw 13 Tds and 16 ints. 60.7 completion

dalton 20 tds and 13 ints. 58 % completion.

And Dalton has a lower rating. hahahhahahah

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference was YPA -- Palmer over 8.0 Dalton around 6.6.....that's the main area Dalton needs to improve on -- he will -- Palmer has become an interception machine.....Hue can have him..... I humbly admit I was dead wrong about him .... I really thought the guy had some good football left in him ....

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer blows, as most of us knew he would.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Stats and figures don't lie, your all a bunch of f'n homers. Palmer is obviously the greatest QB of all time, bitches."

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed that Andy Dalton threw 13 INTs on the year, which is pretty good for a rookie QB. Carson Palmer threw 16 INTs IN NINE GAMES. Hue Jackson called it the best trade in NFL history. Maybe not.

Also, of those 13 INT's, not one of them were inside the redzone.

15 TD's, 0 INT's inside the redzone. Pretty amazing for a rookei with a short field.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't make mistakes in the red zone which is great, but he also doesn't score a lot of TD's in the red zone. He will have to improve on that big time. We can't keep settling for FG's.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't make mistakes in the red zone which is great, but he also doesn't score a lot of TD's in the red zone. He will have to improve on that big time. We can't keep settling for FG's.

Not sutre that is all Dalton's fault as I know we call a lot of damn runs inside teh Redzone, and our offensive line does not provide a ton of time to make throws. Granted, Dalton can improve there, but I am positive, he is not the only reason.

All those runs and those VERY difficult fade patterns into the corner which rarely succeed. Seem like wasted plays to me. Need some more roll out patterns inside the red zone..make the defense step up to cover against Dalton running and maybe risk leaving a zone in the end zone uncovered.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To be fair, 6 of his 16 ints came in the first 6 quarters he played "post-retirement".

other than the early INTs he played pretty well, all things considered.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He didn't play worth what they gave up to get him, as evidenced by the fact that they're at home now

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He didn't play worth what they gave up to get him, as evidenced by the fact that they're at home now

McFadden got hurt before Palmer ever stepped on the field and their defense impolded at the end of the season. Regardless of what they gave up for him, it's not fair to expect a QB learning an offense mid season on the fly to carry the team...

I'm too lazy to take his numbers over his 9 starts (the full games he played) and prorate them over a 16 game season, but they're good. Too many INTs, but near the top of the leauge in some key metrics

I do think that next yrs he's really under the gun to have a huge season. they have a new GM who might not a fan of Palmer or Hue, and plus he has to justify the trade

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McFadden got hurt before Palmer ever stepped on the field and their defense impolded at the end of the season. Regardless of what they gave up for him, it's not fair to expect a QB learning an offense mid season on the fly to carry the team...

I'm too lazy to take his numbers over his 9 starts (the full games he played) and prorate them over a 16 game season, but they're good. Too many INTs, but near the top of the leauge in some key metrics

I do think that next yrs he's really under the gun to have a huge season. they have a new GM who might not a fan of Palmer or Hue, and plus he has to justify the trade

He won't.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To be fair, 6 of his 16 ints came in the first 6 quarters he played "post-retirement".

other than the early INTs he played pretty well, all things considered.

10 INT's in 7 games isn't exactly pretty well unless he tossed 20 td's to go along with it, which he didn't. 10 TD's over that period of time. I know this won't happen considering the short amount of time and how much they gave for him but going 1 for 1 will lose most qb's their job.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
10 INT's in 7 games isn't exactly pretty well unless he tossed 20 td's to go along with it, which he didn't. 10 TD's over that period of time. I know this won't happen considering the short amount of time and how much they gave for him but going 1 for 1 will lose most qb's their job.

It was 10 INT's in 8 games, which is still a high number. He also had 11 pass plays of 40 yrs or more, which was tied for 5th in the NFL (even though he only started 9 games.) He was tied for 4th in yards per attempt (and posted by far the best number of his career). He was 2nd in the NFL in yards per completion. He was 6th in passing yards per game in his 9 starts...

This was a QB learning a new offense on the fly.

I think he physically (arm strength, accuracy etc) looked much more like the 05/06 Palmer than the QB who was struggling on throws the prior two season.

Under the circumstances he played OK.

The ints were high, but that's somewhat understandable given the circumstances.

But next yr there's no excuses.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense is a high risk/reward offense in Oakland. They are going to let Palmer air it out often.

With longer passes like this comes the risk of more INT's.

The long ball has never been much of an issue for Palmer. What is odd is when he throws those 6-10 yard "outs" where his arm looks dead. That's also where a noticable amount of his INT's occur. This points more to him not being able to properly adapt to the play, and find another target, and more towards him forcing things just as the play is drawn up. This was a big concern when he came out of USC. He's a system guy. He will run the play that is called. Checking down and looking off is not his forte.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The offense is a high risk/reward offense in Oakland. They are going to let Palmer air it out often.

The long ball has never been much of an issue for Palmer. What is odd is when he throws those 6-10 yard "outs" where his arm looks dead. That's also where a noticable amount of his INT's occur. This points more to him not being able to properly adapt to the play, and find another target, and more towards him forcing things just as the play is drawn up. This was a big concern when he came out of USC. He's a system guy. He will run the play that is called. Checking down and looking off is not his forte.

That's his biggest issue. I watched every game of theirs except maybe 1 after the trade. Early on when Bush was running all over teams and the defense couldn't just hone in on him with the pass rush, he played exceptionally well, going through his progressions. But into the season - the last 4-5 games -when Bush was shut down to the tune of 70 some ypg and the offense became one dimensional, his o-line couldn't hold up and he started making a lot of the same mistakes he did here, honing in on one target and forcing a throw if he had to.

He did do a great job hitting his checkdowns though with Bush. I hope in the offseason we can get a back that can catch out of the backfield for Dalton. It does wonders.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It was 10 INT's in 8 games, which is still a high number. He also had 11 pass plays of 40 yrs or more, which was tied for 5th in the NFL (even though he only started 9 games.) He was tied for 4th in yards per attempt (and posted by far the best number of his career). He was 2nd in the NFL in yards per completion. He was 6th in passing yards per game in his 9 starts...

This was a QB learning a new offense on the fly.

I think he physically (arm strength, accuracy etc) looked much more like the 05/06 Palmer than the QB who was struggling on throws the prior two season.

Under the circumstances he played OK.

The ints were high, but that's somewhat understandable given the circumstances.

But next yr there's no excuses.

As usual, you pretty much nailed it. I believe 6 of the interceptions came in his first 2 games. The one he came in after 4 days in Oakland and his first start. Most of the remainder of his interceptions came when he was down his 2 best receivers in Moore and Ford as well as his #1 and #3 RBs (McFadden and Jones) making them one-dimensional. So, while the latter is usually inexcusable, considering all the other circumstances coming in midseason, not knowing the playbook, and not having any rep time with his #4 and #5 receivers, it is somewhat understandable.

That said, because they did miss the playoffs, whether it was Carson's fault or not, there is no way anyone can argue it was a good trade at that time. They could've missed the playoffs just as well without him and then still gotten him in the offseason much cheaper.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I understand the "high risk/high reward" gunslinger theory, but most of his INTs were either bad reads, forcing passes late in the game or bad decsions facing a pass rush. getting to watch his games objectively, not rooting for his team per se, he's definatley gunshy in the pocket.

I actually thought the zip was back on his out patterns actually. It looked to me like his arm strength (which had been a major issue the past couple seasons) returned. I was really impressed with how he threw the ball

Last edited by a moderator:

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That said, because they did miss the playoffs, whether it was Carson's fault or not, there is no way anyone can argue it was a good trade at that time. They could've missed the playoffs just as well without him and then still gotten him in the offseason much cheaper.

They overpaid, but my hunch is that Mike Brown was going to get a favorable deal at whatever point or Palmer would have to stay retired. He wasn't going to get a 1st and a 2nd in the offseason, but he would still get more than market value

They gave up too much in the deal on paper, but you can reach on a player in the draft, pay them too much in FA, overpay in a trade etc.. and it can still work out for your team.