• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Russell thanks Lebron

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and Wade have admitted as much since he signed with Miami.

If my memory were photographic I could say exactly when they did. Too bad my memory is less than perfect.

Why isn't the quote function working?

This is the 2nd time tonight it's failed to do what it should on my posts.

Maybe the quote function is thoroughly disgusted with you? :noidea:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody created more hall of fame players than Bill Russell. His defense, leadership and winning approach to the game enabled the Celtics to achieve a synergy since unmatched. Maybe one day Lebron's face can be etched on Mt. Russell.

So Bill Russell created all that greatness?

Oh. My. Gawd. :L

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see if a reporter puts lebron on spot asking about bill Russell's comments

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotchrocker
Nobody created more hall of fame players than Bill Russell. His defense, leadership and winning approach to the game enabled the Celtics to achieve a synergy since unmatched. Maybe one day Lebron's face can be etched on Mt. Russell.

So Bill Russell created all that greatness?

Oh. My. Gawd.
facepalm.gif

Synergy is achieved when the product of the whole is greater than or equal to the sum of its parts. Bill Russell's UBUNTU style was the centripetal force that allowed the Celtics to play the type of basketball that won them 8 straight titles and a championship in 11 out of 13 seasons for Bill Russell. For a numbercruncher like yourself, Hammer, you of all people should be able to appreciate Bill Russell. Of course, we both know that's not the problem here. I see through you, kid.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number crunchers will be the absolute dead LAST people on the earth to argue Russell as GOAT.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is 100x more competition now than when Russell played, he was getting rebounds over 6'4" white guys. If he played now, he would be a bench warmer and I have no doubts about it.

He got 11 rings congrats, but don't act like he was the greatest player or ever close to it. Btw...Lebron is as much of a team player than Russell or even better.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Russell got drafted he had 4 future HOF's on the team, that were already on the team. Then another one joined two years later.

By 61-62 there were 6 future HOF's on the team.

Wilt>>>>>>>>>>>>>Russell

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Russell played on the Eastern Conference All-Star Team his entire fucking CAREER.

The Stilt played with Jerry West.

Switch those two and no one even knows who Russell is.

If I'm starting a team, I take Kareem, Sir Charles, the Big Aristotle, Wilt the Stilt, Hakeem, The Mailman, Clyde the Glyde, the Admiral, the Big Fundamental, Shawn Kemp, Artis Gilmore, Patrick Ewing, Kevin Durant, 'Nique, Moses, James Worthy, Xavier McDaniel, McHale, Dirk, and about 30 others ahead of Bill Russell.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing to put into perspective.

Russell's first 4 titles there were 8 teams in the league

His 5th,6th,7th,8th and 9th rings there were 9 teams

His 10th there were 12

His 11th and last title there were 14

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have an 8 team league, you have automatically a 1 in 8 chance of winning the title.

With 4 teams in each conference, you have a staggering 50% shot to make it to the conference finals.

I am not trying to deny the winning.

But, its a lot easier to win titles when there is a tiny amount of teams.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
{crickets}

I think the Russellites just left.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell is by far the most overrated legendary athlete in any sport. It's not even close. He was good on D.. and bad on offense. Commonly finished 4th on his team in scoring. To be on the mountain you need to be dominate on both sides of the court.. not one. He was basically Dennis Rodman with only a marginally better jumper.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have an 8 team league, you have automatically a 1 in 8 chance of winning the title.

With 4 teams in each conference, you have a staggering 50% shot to make it to the conference finals.

I am not trying to deny the winning.

But, its a lot easier to win titles when there is a tiny amount of teams.

Jordan's 6.. Kobe's 5... far far far more impressive in a 30 team league than Russell's 11 against 10 teams.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that I will say in Russell's defense (and damn you guys again for making defend a Celtic again) is that I wonder what his offense would have been like if the Celtics needed him to score.

Is it not possible that he sacrificed much of his game because he knew that the teams best chance to win titles was with him concentrating on defense, rebounding and triggering the Celtics fast break?

When I say the above about Russell, I think of James Worthy with the Lakers. Worthy was a great offensive player and Hall of Famer, but is generally considered outside the top 10 and even top 15 players of all-time. He sacrificed points, MVP's, etc. to win championships. Perhaps if Worthy had gone to a team where he was the centerpiece, we'd be talking about him as a top 10 or even top 5 player?

I think that sometimes these rankings discussions get too wrapped up in stats and don't consider "intangibles" such as leadership, sacrifice of individual accomplishments and will to win.

I don't consider Russell the GOAT, but I also don't agree about him being the most overrated legend either.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that I will say in Russell's defense (and damn you guys again for making defend a Celtic again) is that I wonder what his offense would have been like if the Celtics needed him to score.

Is it not possible that he sacrificed much of his game because he knew that the teams best chance to win titles was with him concentrating on defense, rebounding and triggering the Celtics fast break?

When I say the above about Russell, I think of James Worthy with the Lakers. Worthy was a great offensive player and Hall of Famer, but is generally considered outside the top 10 and even top 15 players of all-time. He sacrificed points, MVP's, etc. to win championships. Perhaps if Worthy had gone to a team where he was the centerpiece, we'd be talking about him as a top 10 or even top 5 player?

I think that sometimes these rankings discussions get too wrapped up in stats and don't consider "intangibles" such as leadership, sacrifice of individual accomplishments and will to win.

I don't consider Russell the GOAT, but I also don't agree about him being the most overrated legend either.

The thing is, though, its not just his total offensive output that is horrible, but also his offensive efficiency. He took close to 15 shots a game, but shot only 42% from the field.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, though, its not just his total offensive output that is horrible, but also his offensive efficiency. He took close to 15 shots a game, but shot only 42% from the field.

True, I wonder though, if his FG% may have improved if he concentrated more on offense. Not saying that he ever would have been a force on offense, I just think that part of the issue may have been that his scoring wasn't really needed.

The man won 5 NBA MVP awards, so clearly he was doing something right.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and we're back to the collusion thing again. truth to tell i think it's a rule that shouldn't be there imo. it obviously doesn't get enforced...

do i believe they colluded? well, i have to say i do lean in that direction. course i believe the Celtics did the same when they brought their own superteam together back in '08. just through their good ol' boy Boston GM's...

buuuuttt, since nothing can be proven it seems...
The Celtics never mislead anyone about their intentions.

LeBadKarma James kept telling people he was only investigating possibilities when he had long since made uphis mind about where he would sign.

He was careful, as I've said elsewhere, to stay within the letter of the rules while flouting their spirit.

How much the OverHEATed FO knew about this we have no way of telling. Said FO rates "innocent until proven
guilty" thinking but James and Wade do not.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell is by far the most overrated legendary athlete in any sport. It's not even close. He was good on D.. and bad on offense. Commonly finished 4th on his team in scoring. To be on the mountain you need to be dominate on both sides of the court.. not one. He was basically Dennis Rodman with only a marginally better jumper.

Though he has very stiff competition in Cal Ripken and Brett Favre, no one honestly tries to say those two were the greatest ever like the Bill Russell apologists do about him.

For any of the true greats, their fans can point to great games and moments. Bill Russell? The only thing anyone remembers is the 11 rings he got because he played on an All-Star team his entire career. Oh yeah, and the other thing they remember is Wilt Chamberlain dominating him mercilessly.

But yeah, he's the greatest ever other than that. :L

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the looks of his percentages,,,,not great.

On the other foot, I wonder what Wilts defense would have looked like if he could have gone out and concentrated on nothing more then rebounds and blocks?

Shoveyjoe

El Flaco
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics never mislead anyone about their intentions.

LeBadKarma James kept telling people he was only investigating possibilities when he had long since made uphis mind about where he would sign.

He was careful, as I've said elsewhere, to stay within the letter of the rules while flouting their spirit.

How much the OverHEATed FO knew about this we have no way of telling. Said FO rates "innocent until proven
guilty" thinking but James and Wade do not.

I wish there was a nugget of a point in this rambling mess of a post.

Also did Lebron and the Heat have bad Karma when they closed the window on the Celtics?