• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

biggest issue with replay

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny how they are basically saying touching 2nd base is optional on a doubleplay

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny how they are basically saying touching 2nd base is optional on a doubleplay

I suspect that is excluded because the call on the field effects subsequent action by the runners and fielders.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect that is excluded because the call on the field effects subsequent action by the runners and fielders.

good point. 95% of the time it wont effect anything cause there is a force at 1st no matter what but no clue what they would do at other bases.

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the most often missed call in baseball so they take it out of the equation. It can easily affect the game by leaving a runner at second or not.
If the idea is to get it right get it right.
Similar to calls in foot ball to determine if a runner was down before a fumble. Repay shows he was not down but also shows that he fumbled because of what should have been a face mask or horsecollar call that wasn't made. Then the announcers rave about how the replay got it right. What a crock.

Ceriran

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a needed change.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

good point. 95% of the time it wont effect anything cause there is a force at 1st no matter what but no clue what they would do at other bases.

I'm glad they made the distinction. The 'close enough' on DPs has alway been widely accepted. If it is an obvoius DP ball, no need to twist ankles just to touch the bag.

They can and will still call out the 'not-close-enough' abusers (as in call the runer safe)....

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is watching managers going out and talking to the ump and stalling until they get a signal from the bench whether to challenge or not. if the manager leaves the dugout he should have to challenge or be ejected. ive watched ventura do it 3 times in the last 2 games and he didn't challenge any of them. slows the game down too much imo

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is watching managers going out and talking to the ump and stalling until they get a signal from the bench whether to challenge or not. if the manager leaves the dugout he should have to challenge or be ejected. ive watched ventura do it 3 times in the last 2 games and he didn't challenge any of them. slows the game down too much imo

I have noticed this. I have also heard some announcers mention it, I can only imagine that somebody at MLB has noticed.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have that much of a problem with it since it probably does give an opportunity for the umpire to tell the manager what he saw on the play.

It's not as time-consuming as NFL replay where I have time to go to the kitchen, make a sandwich, and come back and their still looking at the replay.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest problem is that they still aren't perfect. You shouldn't be missing calls after reviewing them.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it's every close call in every game. I keep seeing managers making a slow walk out to the ump and then them and the umps chatting and joking while the managers waits for a call from the dugout on whether to challenge or not. This will have to be addressed.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest problem is that they still aren't perfect. You shouldn't be missing calls after reviewing them.

I guess I haven't seen that yet. A few times now I've seen bad calls overturned. For instance in Friday night's Padres/Tigers game, they overturned a bad call at 1st that saved the Padres a bad run and ended the inning.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was the first time I seen them missed a call that should've been overturned.

What I don't get is what replays are they looking at? The YES network showed a replay which showed Anna was clearly out almost immediately before they went in to review it and I heard NESN did the same so my question is how come those guys who reviewed it didn't have access to the replays from those 2 networks?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I agree that managers will use any trick in the book, getting a call right in the end is the correct thing to do.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took 4 1/2 minutes for them to figure out a Braves call. They should have looked at it a few times and called down the ruling within seconds.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took 4 1/2 minutes for them to figure out a Braves call. They should have looked at it a few times and called down the ruling within seconds.

...and they still got it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farrell comes out and when he thinks he wants to challenge his looks into the dugout.. Too time consuming imo. If you are going out there to argue, why shouldn't they have to immediately ask for a challenge?

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farrell comes out and when he thinks he wants to challenge his looks into the dugout.. Too time consuming imo. If you are going out there to argue, why shouldn't they have to immediately ask for a challenge?

I think that may be what they end up doing. If you're going to challenge, do it as soon as you come out. What we are seeing now is the unintended consequences of the new rules. They need to tighten it up, for sure.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Girardi does the same thing making sure he gets in perfect position to get the yay or nay from the dugout.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that may be what they end up doing. If you're going to challenge, do it as soon as you come out. What we are seeing now is the unintended consequences of the new rules. They need to tighten it up, for sure.

And I think they will. A perfect solution is the first base coach has a flag. He has to toss it in the first 10 seconds. It puts the responsibility on someone for the team making an instant decision.

I like it so far and think this is a good beta test. v 2.0 should fix a few different issues.