• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

biggest issue with replay

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PUT IT ON.....THE BOARD

I hate blown calls even when they are for my team, but my hate of Hawk makes this one worth it.

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a blown call. I dunno, should the ump asked Moreland to show him the ball? I dunno, it was a bang bang play, and I think the Ump has his eye on the runner touching the plate, and looking at Moreland who pretended to catch the ball.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blown call? Yes? Game changer? No. The way the respective teams are playing right now, there is no way in hell the Mariners beat the Rangers when the Ms start Joe Saunders. Might have been a more impactful call if Felix or Iwakuma had been pitching for the Ms.

I think we should save the umpire bitching for calls that have a direct influence on then outcome of the game.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a blown call. I dunno, should the ump asked Moreland to show him the ball? I dunno, it was a bang bang play, and I think the Ump has his eye on the runner touching the plate, and looking at Moreland who pretended to catch the ball.

Yea, that's kind of an important part of the game.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blown call? Yes? Game changer? No. The way the respective teams are playing right now, there is no way in hell the Mariners beat the Rangers when the Ms start Joe Saunders. Might have been a more impactful call if Felix or Iwakuma had been pitching for the Ms.

I think we should save the umpire bitching for calls that have a direct influence on then outcome of the game.

Getting it right is getting it right. Doesn't matter if it's 2 bad teams playing or 2 good teams.

Texas_Longhorns_Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kind of dishonest that Grimm didn't let the ump know HE caught the ball.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kind of dishonest that Grimm didn't let the ump know HE caught the ball.

They're playing to win the game. It's up to the umpires to make the right calls and the players have to live with the calls. This isn't YMCA league. They're playing for money. Things have a way of evening out over 162 games.

aar000n

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replay is needed. I did not catch it the first time around either.

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replay 2014

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Major League Baseball decided Thursday to implement instant replay on virtually every play but the strikezone - including three manager's challenges per game - that will begin in 2014, Commissioner Bud Selig announced.
"It's a historic day,'' Selig said.

MLB vice president Joe Torre, Atlanta Braves GM John Schuerholz and advisor Tony La Russa presented the all-encompassing replay proposal to the 30 ownership groups, which was widely accepted, Selig said, and expected to be formalized at their quarterly owners' meetings Nov. 13-14 in Orlando, Fla.

The replay will include up to three challenges that mangers will be provided during a game, one in the first six innings, and two beginning in the seventh inning through the game's duration. If a manager is successful with his replay challenge, he will not be charged with a review.
If a manager exhausts his three challenges, and umpire crew can make a review of its own only to determine home-run calls, a rule that will be grandfathered in with the new regulations.

Baseball, using its central MLBAM offices in New York, will be provided with replay cameras that will be monitored by men with umpiring experience. They will make the final call on disputed plays, not the crew chief.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they say it's not gonna slow the game down any...

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was one of the first articles out this morning and not everything has been finalized. I just really question the 3 challenges and how they are used

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
team A's coach comes out to talk to the umpire. he then challenges the play. the umps walk to the back. they make a decision. then if the play is overturned team B's coach comes out and wants explanation. the game will slow down greatly

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expanded instant replay/review for 2014....

Good call, MLB

MLB owners OK expanded replay for 2014 - ESPN

Major League Baseball's owners unanimously approved expanded instant replay for the 2014 season and postseason on Thursday at the conclusion of the quarterly owners meetings in Paradise Valley, Ariz.
The Major League Baseball Players' Association and World Umpires Association both have approved the expanded replay as well.

In addition to home runs, the following plays will now be subject to review: ground-rule double; fan interference; stadium boundary calls; force play (except a fielder's touching on second base on a double play); tag play; fair/foul in outfield only; trap play in outfield only; batter hit by pitch; timing play (whether a runner scores before a third out); touching a base (only when appealed); passing runners and record keeping (ball-strike count to a batter, outs, score, and substitutions).

Managers will get one challenge to use and as long as any part of the reviewed play is overturned they will receive a second challenge to use. After the seventh inning the crew chief may also call for a replay on any reviewable play.

The crew chief and another umpire from the crew will have access to a head set to communicate with a central replay station in New York where the play will be reviewed.
In addition, replays of all plays, reviewed or not, will be allowed to be shown on scoreboards

Last edited by a moderator:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more time wasted on coaches arguing with umpires?

I'm all for it and makes total sense.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big believer in expanded replay in MLB. I think these are, for the most part, good changes.